home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

View Poll Results: How far will you drive your 240 daily from home?
I stay local, don't want to have to walk too far. 4 4.60%
Within the limits of my AAA/roadside towing 6 6.90%
Couple hundred miles...as long as I'm headed towards some place where I can fix it 18 20.69%
500+ miles with expectation of trouble free round trip 59 67.82%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #26
TestPoint
Board Member

Default I cheated . . . . .

My '82 Diesel 245, which I bought new, has never left me stranded but there was a 5 mile pucker trip home the last time the Diesel ran.

Tuned it up with a 11k mile Ford 302 V8.

Go anywhere now.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #27
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere

Y’all haven’t lived til you’ve road tripped a PRV 265 manual 2000+ miles each way.

Wouldn’t trade it for anything but wouldn’t go back either.

Now my nice 740 just gets babied and if I need a real road trip (like last winter’s 13 hours straight for some cheap but mint 74O seats lol) I’m in the S70 worst case breaking exhaust pipes (from the high speeds and top shelf driving I assume) Still got me there and back just sounded cooler.
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #28
TouringMusician
Board Member

I’m currently driving my 421k 1993 245 on a 6,000 mile trip. I drive the car a lot, and so it’s always in a relatively good state of maintenance, at least under the hood. But honestly it’s not even “great” maintenance-I have a fair share of junkyard and used parts, and off brand stuff because it’s all I could get.

I trust the 245 more than my 2017 Chevy Express van, which is precisely why I’m driving it right now. 240s are some of the most durable and tough cars ever made, and if they’re in good health, they just go and go. The problem we run into is finding “same day” parts for 30 year old Swedish boats in a country that isn’t Sweden can be tricky.

My van will be needing a $3800 transmission soon. There isn’t a single part on the 245 that costs even half that. Stock(ish) 240s make great high mileage cruisers, and even fleet vehicles, sans parts availability.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #29
NWVlvTnr
'83 Biege 245 DL DD

I’ve driven my 83 245 DL between Boise, Idaho and San Diego four times this past summer. The only issue issue I encountered was that halfway across Nevada my “lifetime muffler” fell off.

Between all of those trips I only encountered one other RWD Volvo on the open highway.

Edit: I just hit 230000 miles, 80k are mine from the past ten years.

Last edited by NWVlvTnr; 10-23-2019 at 09:34 PM..
NWVlvTnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #30
Mr. V
Board Member

I'd drive my '82 244 Turbo anywhere.

When I head on a trip of any distance I bring my tool kit, a floor jack, and some spare parts "just in case."
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #31
Bricktothefuture
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
god that sounds miserable
I get the other days working from home, and it's a great gig so it balances out.

I'm also sort of (in)famous as the guy with the cool old wagon. Work with a bunch of engineering nerds and they all dig it.

Also feels great to drive the hell out of a car I rebuilt myself!
Bricktothefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #32
turbomant5
Board Member

I daily drive my 1985 245 +t 100 plus miles back and forth to work every day. I have driven it from lake havasu to LA multiple times, havasu to vegas multiple times, havasu to phoenix multiple times. current mileage 248,525 approx. The +t was done at 180,250. my oldest daughter daily drives an 89 245.
turbomant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #33
VolvoNutt
K-jet Newbie

Very proud my little 242 turbo zips to Denver(150 miles round trip) with no problems and I prefer it over my wifeís Volvo. Her car has new suspension and is too firm for me and I prefer my seats over herís....letís face it, my car is cooler and funner to drive than herís!!!

VolvoNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #34
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Just arrived from a 500 mile round trip last night in the 1992 240 with 240K miles. 4 weeks prior, I did a 600 mile round trip. Preparing for a 1700 mile round trip next month.
All new sensors, and carry spares of just about every sensor & electric component on the car. Also carry full tool kit, full size spare, hoses, jack, belts, towing ropes, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, etc.
'93 Land Cruiser - "Ruby"
'01 Cherokee - "Janice"
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #35
shoestring
Board Member

I'd take it as far as the road goes.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #36
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Exactly. It's not like we're road tripping through Antarctica here. Prep for some minor things, don't fret about the worst case situations until they actually happen.
haha, I once broke the M47 on the Mass turnpike at ~11pm on a Sunday night coming back from 24hr lemons race.....found one in CT next day....drove 1hr south in 4th gear only to friend's shop....replaced trans Monday afternoon....drove home Monday night. Stressful, fun, lucky catastrophic failure.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #37
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

That is a classic road trip right there.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #38
Mbeas96
Board Member

1990 745 I have put 47k miles in the last year and a half. Last year it did 750 miles to moutain meet roundtrip and and then 800 miles Roundtrip to tennessee. Drive 75 miles to work and back 4 days out of the week. Thanksgiving will be another 800 mile trip for the volvo.

No major failures on road trips (knock on wood)

My build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=340910
Mbeas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #39
volvowagoon
Board Member

My sense of adventure has admittedly dwindled. I had an 89 245 in very rough shape, that I drove EVERYWHERE starting immediately after buying it and throwing an O2 sensor in it. Within a month I drove it from the southern tip of IL to the twin cities in MN and back in one weekend without any tools or spare parts. It was an amazing time with close friends and no break downs. About a month after that I took a very daring trip alone from Southern Illinois to Lansing MI which was completely uncharted territory for me. Again, no breakdowns and I enjoyed myself.

Fast forward about seven years. My trusty 240 is long scrapped after a failed restoration, but my girlfriend has a very similar '89 245 in seemingly great condition. It came with very detailed documentation and service records, and we drove it home to Indy from Milwaukee on a sketchy at best timing belt. It's been a pain in my rear ever since. Spontaneous water and vacuum leaks made it hard to trust for a while. Then as of yesterday, we lost rear braking power. I guess you win some and you lose some.

It's funny how as I gain more knowledge and comfort on fixing cars I also lose my trust in old cars as daily drivers. It's easy to stay on top of the repairs and maintenance of old cars when you don't depend on them, but when you drive them all the time it's easy to fall behind and sometimes seemingly impossible to catch up. However, we still love the car to death, and a 245 wasn't meant to be a weekend warrior. If it ever has a major failure, I'll probably buy it, swap in a more modern fuel efficient drive train, and drive it until the wheels fall off again. I'll still keep my newer cars with creature comforts on the long-distance road trip duties though.

1986 Buick Grand National - Restored to stockô
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The trashy car that's fun to drive
2010 C30 T5 - The boring but trusty daily - 198k
1989 245 DL - The boring but not trusty daily - 231k
IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #40
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

All the places without reservations but with the JY tool bag for longer trips.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #41
Yaboyolin

I'm currently in Colorado with my 1985 245. It's sitting pretty with 250,000 or so miles. Once I return to VT this month it will be the third 4,000-mile round trip I've done in the past two years of ownership. I've also done two 1,000 mile round trips as well. One of which was 32 hours of driving with a three hour nap down to Texas, and then 29 straight hours back. Alternating with a buddy of mine

On my second trip, my passenger side windshield wiper arm sheared its teeth in the middle of a thunderstorm in Tennesse which is the only trouble it's ever given me. I wish my AC worked, but that's about my only real complaint about the car. 'Tis the life of a broke college student I suppose.

I'd take it anywhere at any given time. I've been dailying my girlfriends Subaru lately. An automatic transmission and AC in the city make driving a little less tiresome. I'm excited to get on the road with the wagon soon though!

Last edited by Yaboyolin; 11-03-2019 at 12:32 AM..
Yaboyolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #42
v8volvo
Board Member

Been a while since I took a long trip in a 240, not because of reliability concerns but because of comfort/noise factors. I worry more about me being able to withstand a long trip in those, less about the car. No room in the front of a 245 with the rear seat folded down, lame A/C, etc. But in terms of reliability, if I'm willing to rely on a car to get to work then I better be able to rely on it for vacation... I took my diesel-swapped '92 245 5-speed on a tour of the Olympic Peninsula back around 2011, think that was the last time I did an extended trip in a 240, and doubt I will ever do another one.

7/9 series cars, OTOH, are excellent long distance rigs. I used to drive my '86 745 TD all over the western US, many trips from WA to Colorado, California, Montana, etc. Finally started to discover enough wiring insulation failures all over the car that that wagon stays local now, awaiting a decision of whether to rewire the whole car or ditch the tired 350k mile shell finally (gonna be hard to do for sentimental reasons) and swap the drivetrain to an '88+ gas shell. Until the wiring problems got to a critical mass I never thought twice about getting in it and driving a few thousand miles in a week. Probably still could do it.

I still drive my '83 764 TD on a 500 mile per week highway commute, and wherever else I want to go, regardless of the distance. I just set the cruise at 90 (or somewhere around 90, it's off the scale of the '83-only 85mph speedo), crank up the A/C, and relax. Still gets 28 mpg at 90 mph, or 36 mpg when I hit the lower speed limits and drop it down to 75. Went out to Seattle last February in it from Bozeman for this year's XXX Meet, and will be going out there again in a couple weeks, this time towing a 14' boat. 1700 mile round trip, I expect no problems, knock wood.

These old cars are definitely not immune to failures but the fundamental design is simple and tough, the only reason one would have a problem on a long trip would be due to neglect of old consumables that are simply past the end of their service life. Hoses, brake components, plastic cooling system parts, gaskets, U-joints, etc. It's hard to bring all of it up to date on a car that has had decades of neglect, but once you get it there and continue to stay on top of it, an old car can be reliable. After they are sorted there's no reason they should be more prone to problems than a couple year old Accord. I'd rather tackle a long trip in a simple 30 year old car that's been carefully cared for than a complex 5 year old car that's gotten the bare minimum...
Old 11-04-2019, 01:48 AM   #43
Otto Mattik
board member

Just made 800+ mile round trip.
Had an issue with the neutral safety switch, but it was more a fluke than anything & learned that it's not difficult to bypass.

Always carry tools, alum floor jack, extra FPR, bulbs, fuses, fluids

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:56 AM   #44
Dana (144s dream)

Default Daily driver

Ď68 144 goes with me every day every where in town. Donít want to waste a day !
Dana (144s dream) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:55 AM   #45
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member

Quote:
It's not like we're road tripping through Antarctica here.

5000 km (did it 4 times)

Member of TBCCS

Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #46
Kestrel
Board Member

This summer, I drove my 245 turbo ~1700mi from NC to New Mexico. Worked there over the summer, and traveled often (4+ hours away, forest service roads etc.) At the end of the summer, I spent another 10 days driving around the western USA, then drove back to NC. Total summer mileage was about 10k miles.

I did a bit of maintenance before leaving, and didn't really have any issues with the car. The single time it 'broke' down was when a ground wire for wasted spark broke, which was 100% my fault for reinstalling the air filter in the wrong position. The mount flexed, and the wire broke. Did some troubleshooting, verified no spark, found the ground, reconnected the ground to the chassis....and we were rolling once more.

Your car is as reliable as you make it. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this 245 cross country again. All it currently needs is some new seats up front, and FCA bushings replaced.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #47
Matt86
Board Member

I take my 312K 89 245 on trips to Appalachia frequently. Handles the mountains and hills slowly, but like a boss. I'd drive the car anywhere, though highway travel is boring and with no cruise and stock HP isn't very entertaining.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #48
v8volvo
Board Member

Quote:
The only other issue that I can think of was the alternator dying in the PV a couple of years ago on the way back from Mountain Meet. Something went wrong inside it and it started pumping out 18, 19 volts. I assumed that would fry things, so I turned on all the electrical items the car has (admittedly, not much in a PV) and kept driving. After an hour or so, the alternator died from cranking out continuous max amps, so I turned everything off and kept watching the voltmeter slooooowly drop. It clearly wasn't going to make it the whole remaining 6 - 7 hours back to St. Louis. So I stopped by a Wal Mart outside of Nashville (parked pointing downhill) and bought the cheapest battery they had ($60-ish), bump started it still using the old battery, and just kept driving. I was curious how far it would make it. The voltmeter dropped down, down. 11, 10, 9, 8. Car kept on running great. Somewhere below 7 volts (about as low as the gauge reads) the OD kicked off. Then, finally, with the gauge bottomed out the gs gauge finally started to act wonky. I didn't want to fix it on the shoulder, so I pulled off on a rural exit somewhere in Illinois and stuck the new battery in. Made it back to St. Louis with 12 volts still showing.
Good one. One of the rare situations where a carb has a functional advantage over EFI.

Had a couple of similar situations over the years, neither turned out as smoothly as yours. One long ago driving my '81 Rabbit Diesel from Denver to LA. Alternator quit as I pulled into Kanab, Utah just outside of Zion Park sometime in the late afternoon. Those old cars only needed a few volts to the fuel pump cutoff solenoid to run so I knew keeping the engine going wouldn't be a problem, but night was approaching and I was going to need lights. Parts store in town didn't have an alternator for it and I wasn't going to make it to St George or Vegas before stores there closed. I should have bought a battery but unfortunately didn't think it through they way you did, just blasted out of there as fast as I could figuring I'd make the most of the remaining daylight. Probably made the best average speed I ever got in that car that afternoon, trying to chase the sun westward. I ended up making it to Victorville as night fell and called it quits at a hotel, got an alternator the next morning.

Then just last fall, alternator quit in my Ford pickup outside Kaycee, Wyoming in a November blizzard on a Saturday evening. Could not have been a worse situation, needed defroster, wipers, and lights to keep moving safely in the snow and dark, was pulling a flatbed trailer so was running lights on that as well, and of course needed electrical power to keep the motor and trans working.... Perfect conditions to drain the battery as fast as possible. Every hotel room in every town along the way was full from everyone else clearing off the road to wait out the weather. Parts stores all many miles away and shut down for the day anyway of course. Limped it along as fast as the icy roads allowed, lights got dimmer and eventually warning lights popped on, I called it quits when the instrument cluster shut down. Got towed into Casper. If it had been daylight or roads had been dry and faster I would have made it. That one cost me.
v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #49
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
This summer, I drove my 245 turbo ~1700mi from NC to New Mexico. Worked there over the summer, and traveled often (4+ hours away, forest service roads etc.) At the end of the summer, I spent another 10 days driving around the western USA, then drove back to NC. Total summer mileage was about 10k miles.

I did a bit of maintenance before leaving, and didn't really have any issues with the car. The single time it 'broke' down was when a ground wire for wasted spark broke, which was 100% my fault for reinstalling the air filter in the wrong position. The mount flexed, and the wire broke. Did some troubleshooting, verified no spark, found the ground, reconnected the ground to the chassis....and we were rolling once more.

Your car is as reliable as you make it. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this 245 cross country again. All it currently needs is some new seats up front, and FCA bushings replaced.

My old 89, still making me proud! LONG may you run.........

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #50
leecatd8209
Board Member

I drug my 90 244 from the mud behind a tiny little euro dealership in Ocean City, Maryland, threw tires and a battery in it, changed the oil and drove it to Houston, Texas in 2 days. Since then I've replaced pretty much every maintenance item on the car, so I'd still have no qualms with driving it anywhere at any time.
leecatd8209 is online now   Reply With Quote