• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C 2011 XC90 3.2 consuming oil

ovlov760

We bought this XC90 with 67,000 miles on it a few years ago. It was purchased from the same Volvo dealer that sold it when it was new. The dealer does all the oil changes for it. It has about 110,000 miles on it now.

The 3.2 has started to use 1 quart to 1.5 quarts of oil between oil changes. This just started with the last two oil changes. It previously never consumed maybe more than 1/4 of a quart between oil changes. Now it consumes enough for the low oil light to come on.

I don't see any obvious oil leaks or smell burning oil. I'm not sure where the oil is going. I am aware the 3.2 is known for oil consumption issues. I was under the impression this was often remedied while the engine was still under warranty.

I'm guessing the oil is getting burned. It sounds like the dealer would have replaced the pistons and piston rings if it was still under warranty.

Is this just normal for the 3.2 as it racks up miles?

I did order a Volvo/Rover/FoMoCo oil trap and gasket. It'll take awhile to know if it makes any difference once installed.

Hmm my old folks have the same engine in their V70. We run the recommended Castrol synthetic 0W-30 oil on it (20K interval), now about 200K (miles) and nothing on the engine has been touched (some auxiliaries needed attention though). PCV original, seals, vacuum pump etc too. Its an early V70-iii, I think 2008 and the car hasn't seen a dealership in almost a decade now so the engine was never touched under warranty.
I think they top up a maximum of 1L during the change interval. Valve cover is sweating a bit of oil now.

So I don't have a solution but more of a data point.

I'd check the usual things like PCV function, take a look at the plugs. Engine running fine, not a leaking injector causing rich condition on one cylinder? (usually not increasing oil consumption but still).

I'd go through the usual checks of looking at the plugs and checking the pcv system. If that stuff all looks good. It may be time to try using a slightly thicker oil. Maybe something like the 0-30W or even the European car 0-40W M1.

I replaced the old oil trap today. It does not look like the valve diaphragm has any tears in it. Lots of gunk though. I believe going by mileage it was due for it.

I changed the oil afterwards.

The car is bone dry underneath and inside the splash pan. I saw no signs of any fluid leaks. Really very clean. It is going to need a new muffler soon though.
i-BDk97BN-XL.jpg

i-RR9X5Vr-XL.jpg

i-zmX9jM9-XL.jpg

Check the vacuum pump, the seals like to leak on the underside and drop oil, but not enough to cause a noticeable leak underneath. Both 3.2s we've had have had to have the seals replaced, pretty easy to DIY

Check the vacuum pump, the seals like to leak on the underside and drop oil, but not enough to cause a noticeable leak underneath. Both 3.2s we've had have had to have the seals replaced, pretty easy to DIY

Those got replaced a couple of years ago. The dealer noticed oil leaking from them. I didn't see any new signs of oil weeping from that area.

How often do you change your oil? My friend has been driving the same car for about 6 years now, and says he was burning the same amount of oil between changes. He now refills it with 8.5 quarts and changes every 4,000 miles.

I would stop with the 10K interval at that mileage. Are you running synthetic 5-30?

If the oil consumption continues, remove the spark plugs and keep them in order. See if they get darker as they progress from 1-6. If they do, that is a sign that the cam cover needs to be resealed. If they are all even, it is probably the rings. Just do more frequent oil changes. You *might* be able to get Volvo to replace them under good will. You say that you bought the car from the dealer and they've been doing the services. The service manager might be able to get the oil consumption case pushed through under good will, or at least a nice portion of it.

They will start an oil consumption case. First step will to be verifying the ECM contains the latest software, and increasing the oil capacity to 7.9L.

If it still sets off the low oil light, hopefully good will steps in and will continue with whatever the fix is. I'd probably contact the service manager of the dealership you deal with. Typically checking the PCV is one of the steps. Feel free to PM me.

Jordan

I actually have no idea what the dealer puts in it. I'll have to see what's written on the receipts. I put 7.18 quarts of synthetic 5w-30 in it after replacing the oil trap.

Edit: Dealer receipts say DEXOS 5w-30 is used.

Last edited:
I would never ever let a white block go more than 3,000 mi without checking the oil. Ever. I've never seen one over 100k that didn't use oil. They will run forever if you keep oil in them though.

Update: Almost exactly 2,000 miles later the oil level has dropped just one X on the dipstick. I believe that's roughly 1/4 of a quart?

I would stop with the 10K interval at that mileage. Are you running synthetic 5-30?

If the oil consumption continues, remove the spark plugs and keep them in order. See if they get darker as they progress from 1-6. If they do, that is a sign that the cam cover needs to be resealed. If they are all even, it is probably the rings. Just do more frequent oil changes. You *might* be able to get Volvo to replace them under good will. You say that you bought the car from the dealer and they've been doing the services. The service manager might be able to get the oil consumption case pushed through under good will, or at least a nice portion of it.

They will start an oil consumption case. First step will to be verifying the ECM contains the latest software, and increasing the oil capacity to 7.9L.

If it still sets off the low oil light, hopefully good will steps in and will continue with whatever the fix is. I'd probably contact the service manager of the dealership you deal with. Typically checking the PCV is one of the steps. Feel free to PM me.

Jordan
:rofl:

Do you realize were talking about a high mileage, 10 year old Volvo here?
The most the dealer will offer is a friendly stroll through the showroom to view the latest Volvo offerings.

:rofl:

Do you realize were talking about a high mileage, 10 year old Volvo here?
The most the dealer will offer is a friendly stroll through the showroom to view the latest Volvo offerings.

It's probably going to get replaced by a 2015+ Tahoe at some point. We might hold on to it because it is still a pretty clean vehicle.

Back