• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 No crank on an '86 240 automatic

So far I've found the neutral start switch has too much resistance. Took it apart to clean it and its good now. Also the circuit from there to the solenoid must have a problem because even when I put 12V to it there at the connector, the starter barely turns over. Might have to run a bypass.

There is an inline connector for the neutral safety switch inside the center stack. Around near the tunnel where the hole is for the shifter. You'll see a two pin connector with the wiring going to the switch. If I recall it's blue. That connection can get corroded and cause a voltage drop to the solenoid.

So far I've found the neutral start switch has too much resistance. Took it apart to clean it and its good now. Also the circuit from there to the solenoid must have a problem because even when I put 12V to it there at the connector, the starter barely turns over. Might have to run a bypass.

We've mentioned running a redundant ground cable. You can do the same for the positive side. Use a set of jumper cables.

The proper way to test cables is a voltage drop test. Look it up.

My fault. I left off the other thick cable from the starter. I didn't notice it until shining a light there. Now it starts fine but.......the solenoid engaged by itself 20 seconds after the engine started. This is probably why the owner dumped/donated the car in the first place as the service records show. If I run a temporary bypass to the solenoid from the neutral start switch connector, no problems. Will have to make that permanent.

Back