• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Adjusting hood

white855T

Purchased a 240 that was in some sort of accident. The hood came unlatched and smashed windshield. I sourced a hood w/ hinges(turns out hinges were junk). We tried tried another pair of hinges that I had( I don't remember the history on them). We just cannot get it aligned to sit in place. Pictures below. We've never had any issues installing hoods previously. Could the second pair of hinges also be junk? I have another 240 that I can steal the hinges off so we will try that as well.

52435984381_f49cb8d7f7_c.jpg
52436259414_dcd8032bca_c.jpg
52435478307_c672f2ae63_c.jpg
52435478397_a99186fc8a_c.jpg

Each hinge to body has adjustments
Each hinge to hood has adjustment
Hood latch has adjustments
Hood latch striker has adjustments

It just takes time

Edit As one guy told me ?it?s not rocket science?

Last edited:
I've had them go real quick and other ones take forever... an old timer from the SD Volvo club told me he would get it close enough to open and close and then, with the bolts to the hood just barely loose enough to move he would use wooden clothes pins in the seams to scoot things around. Never tried like that but he swears it works

I've had them go real quick and other ones take forever... an old timer from the SD Volvo club told me he would get it close enough to open and close and then, with the bolts to the hood just barely loose enough to move he would use wooden clothes pins in the seams to scoot things around. Never tried like that but he swears it works

Good to know, I'm not the only one. We couldn't even get to that point where it would close which would of been nice. We did try this method of loosening bolts slightly and it would just barely budge.

The back sticking up makes me think the hinges are binding. Are they lubricated well?

Did you loosen the height adjustment bolt and push the hinge all the way down? If you have already done this, the hinges are sprung/junk.

And...a 240 hood is one of the most difficult set ups to get right. I have spent anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours adjusting them.

Did you loosen the height adjustment bolt and push the hinge all the way down? If you have already done this, the hinges are sprung/junk.

And...a 240 hood is one of the most difficult set ups to get right. I have spent anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours adjusting them.

Forgot about that one on my list

This was the the only adjustment I didn't mess with. I'll go ahead and try it. Every hood we have done is a breeze. No more than 15 minutes but not this one.

"Hood blew back". Check the condition of where the hinges bolt to the body. Make sure there isn't a "raised" section there.

Took to body shop that did hood. The front end is too twisted. I did let them try to get it square but it just wasn't good enough unless I wanted to disassemble the front end for further straightening.

52444214142_49422dcf27_c.jpg

52445006609_f3d8634585_c.jpg

52444735646_ca720cd00b_c.jpg

Back