home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Truebeliever

Default First motor build questions(how bad did I screw up)

Hello all,
I’m currently trying to build a b230f block for a goal of 400ish crank hp. I’ve settled on the formula of h beam rods and and stock ft pistons. There is still a lot tbd, but as of now I’ve decided to focus on the short block.
Long story short, I grabbed a wrong shim and gapped one of the second rings to .034 instead of the target .03. Is this wayyyyy to much gap?

In regards to deck height, it seems I’m working with a +.006 based of piston height. I’d probably like to use a oem gasket during break in and me learning my way thru this, with a future option of mls if needed.I guess I’m asking if I should have the block cut down anymore to help with quench/squish.

Last edited by Truebeliever; 11-02-2021 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Auto correct
Truebeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I wouldn't worry about .034 vs. .03. It's pretty loose, but the old saying is "If your rings are too loose, you'll know it. If they're too tight, everyone will know it."

As for the HG, I forget what the stock HG's compress to, but the MLS comes in a variety of thicknesses. No real need to machine the block to any particular height, just get the MLS that gets you to the next closest size over .033 - .034-ish.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Swedbrick
Board Member

I messed up in a similar way and ended up with:
top: 0,95 mm
middle: 1,00 mm
oil control: 0,80 mm
PWC max: 0.148 mm (pistons were divided to keep this as little as I could)

Except for a bit of extra pcv to deal with it has been fine since running it in, not even that piston slappy suprisingly
Swedbrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I wouldn't worry about .034 vs. .03. It's pretty loose, but the old saying is "If your rings are too loose, you'll know it. If they're too tight, everyone will know it."

As for the HG, I forget what the stock HG's compress to, but the MLS comes in a variety of thicknesses. No real need to machine the block to any particular height, just get the MLS that gets you to the next closest size over .033 - .034-ish.
an Elring compressed is 1.2mm or .047". Agreed on using the MLS to dial it. My pistons are .004" up and I just ordered the thickness needed from Cometic to hit my target squish.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
towerymt
the real Towery

I think we did 0.012" above deck for use with the alleged 0.047" HG for 0.035" piston to head clearance. If you want to stick to stock head gaskets like I did, you probably want to take some more off. I'm not the voice of experience here but I think you need to assemble it to measure that 0.006" and not assume/calculate...if that's what you did to reach that figure (I'm not sure, so just saying...)
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #6
Truebeliever

Ooops

Last edited by Truebeliever; 11-02-2021 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Better info
Old 11-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
Truebeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
I think we did 0.012" above deck for use with the alleged 0.047" HG for 0.035" piston to head clearance. If you want to stick to stock head gaskets like I did, you probably want to take some more off. I'm not the voice of experience here but I think you need to assemble it to measure that 0.006" and not assume/calculate...if that's what you did to reach that figure (I'm not sure, so just saying...)
I measured it @ .006 on #1 and #3
Old 11-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
the alleged 0.047" HG
it's not alleged with the Elring, I spoke to their head of engineering about it a few years back.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #9
towerymt
the real Towery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
it's not alleged with the Elring, I spoke to their head of engineering about it a few years back.
Excellent. It used to be a point of contention years ago. Do you know if there was an alternate thickness available for the 96mm redblocks?
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Excellent. It used to be a point of contention years ago. Do you know if there was an alternate thickness available for the 96mm redblocks?
yeah that's exactly why I went to get a straight answer, myth confirmed!

I did not ask about alternate thickness because I was planning on running an MLS but it's a great question. I actually got to the head of engineering by cold calling them, so it's worth a few minutes of someone's time if they're interested.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #11
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

It's fun the kinds of things you can find out by simply asking.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote