home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #26
adamdrives
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
What size tires are you running and what grade of gas?

Not that those factors would explain such terrible mileage but they might help a little bit.
205/55 nokians and chevron 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I only get about 16mpg with my car. It's too much fun to get good mileage with. 70mph is turning over 3k rpms on the highway and with these cars the mileage drops fast over 3k rpms at steady cruise.
The car doesn't feel like it wants to be cruising at 2500 or so, feels boggy, even before the cam. It feels clearer above 3k so that's just where I usually end up driving it. There is a spot around 27-800 that feels okay, but it doesn't feel like it really has enough power to be there and change speed though. Ok if theres nobody around and no hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
That's what I get with the 745, similar round trip & road speed. Only time it delivered "good" MPG's was on the longer drives - to the airports, etc.
Even all highway, minimal ripping the best I ever got was 15.5.
05 S60R m66
adamdrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #27
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdrives View Post
205/55 nokians and chevron 91

The car doesn't feel like it wants to be cruising at 2500 or so, feels boggy, even before the cam. It feels clearer above 3k so that's just where I usually end up driving it. There is a spot around 27-800 that feels okay, but it doesn't feel like it really has enough power to be there and change speed though. Ok if theres nobody around and no hills.

Even all highway, minimal ripping the best I ever got was 15.5.
Best case you're wasting your money with 7:5-1 compression running 91, worst case you're using a little bit more fuel and wasting your money anyway.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #28
adamdrives
Board Member

Quote:
Best case you're wasting your money with 7:5-1 compression running 91, worst case you're using a little bit more fuel and wasting your money anyway.
you think running 87 I wont run into knock issues? I'm running 14 psi and its hard to keep it out of boost.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #29
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdrives View Post
you think running 87 I wont run into knock issues? I'm running 14 psi and its hard to keep it out of boost.

An occasional ~5 psi max does everything I need to do.

Not trying to break the World Land Speed Record here....
Old 10-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #30
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:

An occasional ~5 psi max does everything I need to do.

Not trying to break the World Land Speed Record here....
I remember you driving at an extremely leisurely pace when I visited ~10 years ago.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #31
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I remember you driving at an extremely leisurely pace when I visited ~10 years ago.
Ya we never left the city streets so that's a given.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #32
adamdrives
Board Member

Very good news! Solved my low power/sluggish responsiveness issue last night by setting base idle and correctly wiring the TPS with help from Lookforjoe. Can't believe how much of a difference it made. I think since I got the car wrecked and replaced the harness right away I may have never had the throttle switch wired correctly, because it always felt choked. Finally feels like it wants to go, pulls hard, cruises in vacuum with only light throttle inputs needed, I'm sure it's going to go more miles on a tank. I can finally feels my mods.

Relay setup for lh tps on k-jet conversion is very simple: yellow tps wire goes to pin 30, then ground 87a to manifold. Pin 86 gets switched power, 85 goes to pin 1 on tps. Now when you open the throttle, instead of yellow wire circuit opening, the relay grounds it, and you have proper iac/k-jet control. This is necessary because the k jet switch is open when the throttle is closed, and the lh switch is open when the throttle is open.

Note: its a bit of a chore to set base idle with the lh tps. Hard to explain, but I found it easier to start with throttle open more than it needed to be, then back off off idle screw so that I wouldn't lose my tps setting. It's much simpler to adjust the original switch.

edit: also thanks to John, who suggested I set base idle in the first place!
Old 11-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #33
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

Glad you got that sorted out. Enjoy the boost. Boost is more fun than getting good mileage.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #34
adamdrives
Board Member

True, but I also like to know everything is working right. That and not having to floor it in 4th to maintain speed up hills.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #35
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Restore it to socks.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #36
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Glad you got that sorted out. Enjoy the boost. Boost is more fun than getting good mileage.

Well, it was when gas was cheap. In the current state of affairs, getting good mileage is more fun.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, B23FT/M46 combo.
@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #37
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by John242Ti View Post
Well, it was when gas was cheap. In the current state of affairs, getting good mileage is more fun.

-J

I just bought 10 gallons of 87 for $45 and change.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #38
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

@adamdrives I see no mentioning of your base timing advance and dwell settings. Sounds like your engine is running with 15* of ignition advance taken out everywhere. Are you 100% that all of the baseline ignition settings are done correctly? Is your cam timed correctly (as in, did you put it straight up AND make sure that the distributor is pointed the right way?)

Also, get rid of the MSD BTM. The mods that Cosbysweater suggested are way more effective...AFTER you confirm what is happening with a timing light.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #39
adamdrives
Board Member

I'm not sure what you mean. All the timing marks line up at tdc. The mark on my crank pulley is at 15* looking at the marks on timing cover with a timing light, engine idling. Adjusted via the slot in distributor housing. Cam is set to zero. it's running all stock ignition.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:33 PM   #40
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Have you ever adjusted ignition dwell and confirmed that the idle switch is working as intended? Does it jump to ~25 degrees as soon as you crack the throttle?
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #41
adamdrives
Board Member

Yeah, dwell should be listed in my original post. I don't recall but it was within spec. I just set up base idle and got the tps re-wired so its working right. I haven't re-checked since I corrected the tps, but my sluggish power problem was fixed already by setting base idle.

Last edited by adamdrives; 11-09-2021 at 12:02 PM..