home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #26
Tfest
Hipsters ruin everything™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan29 View Post
What are you running for a transmission on the $4k LS build?
4l60E
Tfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #27
James M
Bored member

I have a b21 that sat with coolant in 2 cylinders for 10+ years that the bottom end now gets me around regularly. It's not dead till it's open and dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfest View Post
v8 or you might as well crush it
Or you could be like everyone bringing back the olden days when there was no replacement for displacement and putting a V8 in your car made you special.

If you do go this route make sure to post everywhere that your "going to do an LS swap" for the next few years before you take it off the jackstands and crush it. (This insult isn't meant for you Tfest, your car runs)
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #28
Tfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
If you do go this route make sure to post everywhere that your "going to do an LS swap" for the next few years before you take it off the jackstands and crush it. (This insult isn't meant for you Tfest, your car runs)
I think that's the funniest **** too. Pitter patter, **** or get off the pot, get 'er done. My V8 swap took 5 weeks from when I received the motor/trans.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #29
James M
Bored member

Quote:
I think that's the funniest **** too. Pitter patter, **** or get off the pot, get 'er done. My V8 swap took 5 weeks from when I received the motor/trans.
I love seeing motors for sale at 3x market value, "I don't need it, going to do an LS swap", then a while later the car without a drivetrain is up as "I was going to do an LS swap but jUst dONt HaVe tIME".

Last edited by James M; 11-09-2021 at 08:46 PM..
Old 11-09-2021, 08:53 PM   #30
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Quote:
I haven't read your build thread, but how much work and how many corners would you say you cut to make a 5 week engine swap happen?

Do you have a shop, or even just a lift, or friends to help out? Most beginners (or people thinking about a swap like this) don't necessarily have the resources to make that happen in such a short time, especially given the upcoming winter.

(Sorry if that sounded hostile, I'm not doubting you made it happen, just pointing out that not everyone can make a swap happen that fast. I know I tried, and the 144 ended up in pieces for over a year before I got rid of it.)

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
my balls have more wrinkles than my brain
--------------------------------------------

-1967 144S
-1983 245 Diesel
fatcatbestcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:59 PM   #31
James M
Bored member

Quote:
. My V8 swap took 5 weeks
Rookie numbers, a whiteblock swap can be done in 1 week on a college budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatbestcat View Post
I how many corners would you say you cut?
Lots
Old 11-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #32
Tfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatbestcat View Post
I haven't read your build thread, but how much work and how many corners would you say you cut to make a 5 week engine swap happen?

Do you have a shop, or even just a lift, or friends to help out? Most beginners (or people thinking about a swap like this) don't necessarily have the resources to make that happen in such a short time, especially given the upcoming winter.

(Sorry if that sounded hostile, I'm not doubting you made it happen, just pointing out that not everyone can make a swap happen that fast. I know I tried, and the 144 ended up in pieces for over a year before I got rid of it.)
Just me and a friend doing all the work in a driveway. The engine is from someone else's V8 Volvo so it already had the correct pan and headers, but that didn't save us enough time to make a difference. Mounts came from STS so the motor was bolt in. This has been done enough times that there aren't any unknowns.

Instead of cutting corners I added corners by custom fabricating shifter linkage so we could use the stock Volvo automatic shifter, used a larger aftermarket aluminum radiator, custom trans cooler setup with efan, all -6 an lines for the fuel and power steering.

link to my thread from when I got the motor: https://forums.turbobricks.com/showt...=358790&page=6

If I had a shop this would have been completed much quicker
Old 11-09-2021, 09:06 PM   #33
Tfest

I even took the time to find stock style radiator hoses that would fit properly instead of hacking some **** setup together.

The local tuning shop has a wait so we won't know for a few weeks what herspers it makes but this motor has been on the dyno before and it has a BTR stage 3 cam in it. 330ish to the rear wheels.