=======================================
Chilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #527
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilm View Post
Sad
George Harrison said it best...... "All things must pass".

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #528
Roy 940
Board Member

I'm very sad to read this...

I hope you'll not regret it...

All the best for the life 4th stage !

Greetings from chocolate country !

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=247082
Roy 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:00 AM   #529
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default and the eleven year project comes to an end......

For every hello, there comes a goodbye:

I drove it up the ramp, the last time:

I thought the vehicle securing method used by my Russian transport driver "PeekUp N Dropoff" was excellent:

Old 07-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #530
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Watching it roll away was an odd sensation. I dragged the dead carcass of this sedan up this same hill in 2010. Most definitely, mixed emotions even now as I write this.

I have invested so many HUNDREDS of hours in building this car, I couldn't even begin to add up all the time. When you know a vehicle this intimately, a piece of you leaves along with it.

However time waits for no man. This long running project ends, and I move forward into the next major challenges of building some new property up in East TN where the wife and I will retire to.

The car arrived safely to the new owner in Florida. He is a Volvo enthusiast, of course. Previously he purchased (and still owns) a 1990 740 with the B234, and while a nice low mile car he also had a desire for more power. His grandfather's last car was a 92 940 sedan, so he's always wanted one of these. A member of a local Euro car club, this car went to an enthusiast who will keep it garaged and plans to drive it to events rather than daily driver duty. I was quite satisfied to find the right buyer, knowing my old 92 sedan would be cared for rather than abused.

Sometime soon I plan to write a "lessons learned" reply to close out this thread. Right now I'm consumed with selling houses & moving! There will be many more parts from my 7/9 stash that will be coming up for sale later this year.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #531
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Did you get your asking price?
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #532
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Did you get your asking price?
The sedan sold for $9500. I started at $10,500 or thereabouts.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #533
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
The sedan sold for $9500. I started at $10,500 or thereabouts.
nice, I'm sure whoever got it will enjoy that car a lot.
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #534
reiernumans
Board Member

Looks like a well sorted car, good to see you found a buyer for decent money.
reiernumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #535
Kjell

Post Fog light installation manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
So, about 2 months ago I'm scanning the TB For Sale section, and a Canadian fellow is selling off a hoard of parts, many NOS. One item that caught my eye is a conversion kit for adding the 740SE fog lights to a late 7 & 9 series. Of course by the time I find a couple pics of these fogs, they are sold (I think for $325 CAD). I ask the seller if he can advise the P/N of the kit, which he did.

Since the new front end of my car is NON Fog, I'm thinking those lights would restore the lighting that I've lost. More curious, I search eBay with the VOLVO kit #.... and this pops up:

Seller is asking $400..... I shoot him a message and ask for pics. He responds the next day with an offer for the complete kit at $200 shipped, and in the comments says "Make me an offer". Ray Charles can see this guy is motivated! I'm guessing he bought somebody's closed business and was liquidating. One counteroffer later ($135 shipped) I'm the proud owner of the complete NOS kit:

Speaking of NOS, how about this time capsule?

How many sets of these do you reckon are left?

Complete VOLVO kit including installation instructions (6 languages). Included cut out templates to perfectly locate these on the 90-92 740 and 92-98 940 bumpers:

Corners of each cut radiused using a drill bit, because stress riser:

Fine tooth blade in my Jig saw, easy peasy to saw the hole out for each light's clearance:

I didn't taker the time to document the electrical work, which is considerable. The entire fuse block is removed, and a relay & base must be installed, as well as a good half dozen control, power & ground wires. Once that is added, a new control harness is routed under dash (all of mine was out/open so my timing was great). Finally the power cable is routed thru the firewall and up to just above the battery area. The coolest thing.... all OEM Volvo cables with the same style of material & red tags for electrical identification as the car came with.

Tip of the hat to VOLVO.... the conversion kit is extremely well documented, with the only real challenge being the wiring on the control side is executed differently by Country laws..... and I followed the USA wiring. My fogs are actuated with the low beams (you can select high beams also), as I know high beams in thick fog don't work very well.

The finished product..... what do you think?

Hi, I have one fog light kit but I am missing the installation instruction and template for cutting hole in the front bumper. Is it possible some one have one copy to sell me?
Kjell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #536
Kjell

Hi, I have one fog light kit but I am missing the installation instruction and template for cutting hole in the front bumper. Is it possible some one have one copy to sell me?
Kjell is offline   Reply With Quote