Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #151
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Was it the pump?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #152
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Nope-the port I had the MAP sensor hose connected to was completely plugged with crap.
Derrick caught it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Space time farts
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #153
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Well - I reckon that'll do it too...gotta love easy fixes. Now the real tuning begins.

First time I pulled the motor out of mine to detail and do head/cam/intake/exhaust I used an aftermarket mass air sensor. The car ran like crap when I put it back together. For a couple of weeks we messed with everything -- changed/tuned/adjusted -- made very little difference. Finally discovered that the rubber seal which keeps water out of the MAF plug had been doubled up. The old seal stayed in the female end of the plug (harness) and I never saw it; and the MAF had a new seal on the male connector. With two seals - I could plug in the plug -- but it wasn't making connection. Effect was no MAF at all so it was running in a sort of 'limp' mode. I ignored the MAF code - convinced myself that somehow that was par for the course with an aftermarket MAF....right.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #154
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Not much to report-been driving it every day and getting low 20s, slowly tuning it to get better mileage.

Installed my Multi-Xs today fresh from the powdercoater. The tires on them are worthless-just a set I picked up to get rolling. I think they're flatspotted-I get a highway vibration now. Oh well-I'm saving up for a nice set anyway.

Herrafrush guys, avert your eyes. Right now, the tires are 205/65. I'm thinking I might go down to a 55 sidewall. In an odd way, I like the higher ride height.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #155
BoostIt
Board Member

wheels look good man!

good to see that air dam going to good use! ;D
'82 244tic - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
At full compression, there's enough room for a credit card to slide in.
BoostIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #156
blueinportland
Board Member

Looks really nice. Those multi-x's look really good on your car, I like the thicker looking tires as well.
blueinportland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #157
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

HOKAY! Time for an update.

In the past couple weeks, I've done a bit.

Got rid of the craptastic tires, and put on a set of Yokohama S.Drives in 205-55. They look great and good lord do they grip. I mean holy hell, these are awesome tires.

I've been driving it basically every day.

The old clutch was done-I couldn't accelerate in 4th or 5th without smoking the clutch entirely, so it had to come out. I got in touch with JohnV, and here's what we worked out:

Flat 8.5" flywheel, drilled to accept a Kennedy Stage III pressure plate
Aluminum standoffs since the Stg 3 pressure plate is designed for a stepped flywheel
Some random NOVA brand 9" disc I found locally-full face organic, sprung hub.

And it is awesome. Nice, heavy pedal, no slip AT ALL.

Installed a WootBar(tm) which, in conjunction with the new tires, has totally transformed the handling of the car. It goes where you point it now.

And, tonight, it made it's first visit (as well as my first) to the dragstrip.

In the 1/8th mile, I turned in a best time of 9.7, whereas Derrick drove it to an extremely respectable 9.3. Once we get the launches down pat, I don't see any reason why I couldn't crack into 8s in the 1/8th. First chance I get, I'm going out to Rockingham or Zmax to run it in the 1/4.

Still battling a bit of a detonation issue which only rears it's head when ambient temps drop below 70 or so. I'm going to replace the BPR7ES plugs that are in there with a set of 6ES and see if that helps. Also going to re-check the base timing.

Oh, and here are a couple pictures of the new clutch setup.

Last edited by propav8r; 06-16-2012 at 05:35 PM..
Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #158
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

HOKAY! Time for an update.

In the past couple weeks, I've done a bit.

Got rid of the craptastic tires, and put on a set of Yokohama S.Drives in 205-55. They look great and good lord do they grip. I mean holy hell, these are awesome tires.

I've been driving it basically every day.

The old clutch was done-I couldn't accelerate in 4th or 5th without smoking the clutch entirely, so it had to come out. I got in touch with JohnV, and here's what we worked out:

Flat 8.5" flywheel, drilled to accept a Kennedy Stage III pressure plate
Aluminum standoffs since the Stg 3 pressure plate is designed for a stepped flywheel
Some random NOVA brand 9" disc I found locally-full face organic, sprung hub.

And it is awesome. Nice, heavy pedal, no slip AT ALL.

Installed a WootBar(tm) which, in conjunction with the new tires, has totally transformed the handling of the car. It goes where you point it now.

And, tonight, it made it's first visit (as well as my first) to the dragstrip.

In the 1/8th mile, I turned in a best time of 9.7, whereas Derrick drove it to an extremely respectable 9.3. Once we get the launches down pat, I don't see any reason why I couldn't crack into 8s in the 1/8th. First chance I get, I'm going out to Rockingham or Zmax to run it in the 1/4.

Still battling a bit of a detonation issue which only rears it's head when ambient temps drop below 70 or so. I'm going to replace the BPR7ES plugs that are in there with a set of 6ES and see if that helps. Also going to re-check the base timing.

Oh, and here are a couple pictures of the new clutch setup.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #159
WillettRun?
†John3:16

no no, go up to 8's. a higher number is a colder plug with ngk.

but I am running 7's at 27 psi without a problem of detto. post up your current msq's? seafoamed that thing?

I guess i need to go back and look at how your intercooler and stuff is setup. did you have a stocker in there?
WillettRun? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #160
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Yeah-had NGK's heat scale backwards.

Intercooler is a stock late model with the inlet/outlets in the center. Works fine. Kinda makes me scratch my head that I only get knock when the ambient temp goes down.

I'll post my MSQ soon.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #161
WillettRun?
†John3:16

Yeah... Slightly.

Perhaps its already on too much edge . Lower mat equals more timing
WillettRun? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #162
940guy
Board Member

dont forget about the 350z we demolished!!

01 v70 boring DD
88 745 racewagon lots of around cones goodies
940guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #163
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Which drag strip Jared? Give me a heads up the next time you go - I'd like to come up if you'll have me.

PHR came out with the photo contest guidelines -- looks like no contest for me this year. Apparently it had devolved into people getting professional photographers to shoot their cars for them. New rules this year require the photographer be the car owner or a member of the immediate family.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #164
940guy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Which drag strip Jared? Give me a heads up the next time you go - I'd like to come up if you'll have me.
we went to pageland and i would like for you to come! all of the rednecks out there would drop jaw at a volvo with a v8! always the more there are the better it is!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #165
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Yeah, absolutely the more the merrier.

Maybe I can convince Derrick and Mark to drive up to Mooresville next time so they get to do the hour drive instead of us rolling the 1.5 hours down to Pageland.

Mooresville does theirs on Thursday nights, but Pageland sure was fun.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #166
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
PHR came out with the photo contest guidelines -- looks like no contest for me this year. Apparently it had devolved into people getting professional photographers to shoot their cars for them. New rules this year require the photographer be the car owner or a member of the immediate family.
Oh that's a shame. Stuff like that always tends to happen.

You could sell me your car for $1, and I could take shots, but you probably wouldn't get it back
Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #167
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Or - I could adopt you for an hour. On the other hand - you could set everything up; I could push the button; and if we win anything - it's yours.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #168
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Is the strip at Pageland a part of the road racing track that's at "Kershaw" -- or two different facilities?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #169
940guy
Board Member

it is two different places and rather far apart.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #170
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well, I swapped in the 8ES plugs tonight, and it runs noticeably better. It's not very cool at the moment, but the car starts quicker and seems smoother.

#4 and #1 plug wires are a little loose on the plugs which may be part of the problem-colder, denser air makes for a charge more difficult to ignite? I dunno.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #171
M.H. Yount
Board Member

"....colder, denser air makes for a charge more difficult to ignite?" Nope. Colder, denser charge helps everything - especially with boost/power adders. Detonation when it gets colder - makes me think the timing curve is off -- too aggressive as intake air temps drop.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #172
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Timing curve is stupid low. I need to check my base timing, but the clamp on my timing light won't fit around these plug wires!

Right now, timing is set by a guesstimate when I installed the DSM CAS on the block.

That's probably my problem right thurrr, but I don't want to spend the coin on a timing light with a clamp to accommodate these wires. Derrick thinks his might have a clamp large enough, but I rarely have the time to drive an hour south to his place.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #173
M.H. Yount
Board Member

You're welcome to try mine - it fits around my Ford Racing 9mm wires. But I don't know what you've got on yours.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #174
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
Timing curve is stupid low. I need to check my base timing, but the clamp on my timing light won't fit around these plug wires!

Right now, timing is set by a guesstimate when I installed the DSM CAS on the block.

That's probably my problem right thurrr, but I don't want to spend the coin on a timing light with a clamp to accommodate these wires. Derrick thinks his might have a clamp large enough, but I rarely have the time to drive an hour south to his place.
Just swap one of your old plugs wires on #1 cylinder to set timing. Simple and no $ spent.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #175
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Right...because stock plug wires fit Chevy truck coils perfectly.

Edit// Sorry. That came off kind of douchey.

Anyhow, borrowed my neighbor's timing light and it has a slightly larger clamp. When I looked down, I noticed that the CAS hold-down bolt had made itself scarce. Timing was like 20* advanced. That'll 'splain it.

Last edited by propav8r; 06-18-2012 at 09:21 PM..