home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #726
esmth
Board Member

With ez117k you'll need some way to give it a load signal/pulse. There also exists ez118k in europe which is a standalone ez117k. It uses a manifold pressure line for the load and I assume the distributor hall. you will need to reflash the chip to limit the advance though with any of the ezk

edit: heres a cheap one https://www.ebay.com/itm/233986365369

Last edited by esmth; 11-22-2021 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: ebay
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #727
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

At that point I'd get a used microsquirt to control spark only and run some carbs. The Aliexpress DCOE knockoffs that KL Racing sells seem to work well from what I gather.

Also, let me know whether you end up wanting some hotter cams.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:29 PM   #728
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmth View Post
With ez117k you'll need some way to give it a load signal/pulse. There also exists ez118k in europe which is a standalone ez117k. It uses a manifold pressure line for the load and I assume the distributor hall. you will need to reflash the chip to limit the advance though with any of the ezk

edit: heres a cheap one https://www.ebay.com/itm/233986365369
This is interesting, I didn't even consider that. I have an old CIS-injection 'knock-box' from an early Mk2 Golf that seems pretty similar in that it only controlled ignition and had a knock sensor, etc. I could probably retrofit it pretty easily since it only needs a MAP signal too. The downside is there's no information about remapping, vs the Volvo EZK which might be possible. Hmm.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #729
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
At that point I'd get a used microsquirt to control spark only and run some carbs. The Aliexpress DCOE knockoffs that KL Racing sells seem to work well from what I gather.

Also, let me know whether you end up wanting some hotter cams.
Given that DIYAutotune's black friday sale started today, I may just go this way.

Hotter cams? The ones I have are the PZ penta cams, which are still essentially stock stuff...but I'm curious now. What grinds are you referring to?
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #730
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Given that DIYAutotune's black friday sale started today, I may just go this way.

Hotter cams? The ones I have are the PZ penta cams, which are still essentially stock stuff...but I'm curious now. What grinds are you referring to?
I have some old RSI blanks, and some regrinds (currently in the car)...11.2 mm lift, 276 degrees.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:46 PM   #731
Swedbrick
Board Member

I have a ezk 118 left over from my car if you want it, the hall setup is pretty simple, I still have a few back of head distributors with those too. It's a basic rotating 4 hole disk, so you could probably move the sensor.

The bits I still have
https://www.marktplaats.nl/plaats/m1...4409741512b6e6

I once read somewhere that if you plug in the block mounted distributor with the hall on this it should also just work. Maybe you could hybrid something with this and the buchka wasted spark, it should still have the same connections inside (5v+, gnd, VR conditioner and ignitor wire) as it also uses the same ignition modules. That would also give you space by mounting the ignition coil elsewhere.

As for the chipping I could take a look inside for you, Cameron (redblockpowered) has been trying silly stuff like using the ezk from a 480 turbo, and the ezk116 bin simply just worked on those

Last edited by Swedbrick; 11-22-2021 at 08:00 PM..
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #732
Swedbrick
Board Member

Took a quick look, completely different inside. The processor is a 8041 from intel and the dip28 is actually an ADC chip, so presumably the mapping is set by some resistor combination or just burned in somehow. Hayes says this should be 15deg BTDC base timing for the b230k it came from, so it is quite a lot of advance already in comparison to other b230 engines.

Just realized that the buchka board assumes the flywheel 58-2 pattern, so that won't work either unless the code is altered

Last edited by Swedbrick; 11-22-2021 at 08:24 PM..
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #733
Broke4speed
Board Member

Now THAT looks familiar. It seems very similar to the VW knockbox ignition I was talking about. Dual PCB, ribbon cable, no clear 'chip', MAP sensor, etc. I'm going to try to dig it out and check the insides . Thanks!
Old 11-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #734
Broke4speed
Board Member

Well I just dug out an MS2 I was using on the B6304S swap and have decided to just use that. I'm really looking at the cheapest way possible, and since I already have it...

I started assembling the front of the engine today. Swapped the IM shaft to one from a B21 I have on a stand, replaced the IM and crank seals, installed the timing gears, modified the penta front lower cover so I can have timing marks (it's not pretty because you have to cut away the mounting boss for the fresh/salt water pump that runs off the IM shaft, but it works), and started mocking up the brackets to see how it all fits. Going by the water pump pulley, it looks like the AQ171 harmonic balancer is already shaved for use with a B230 bottom end, because everything lines up perfectly so far. This is a nice surprise .
Old 11-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #735
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

MS2 is perfect.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:59 PM   #736
Broke4speed
Board Member

DIY shortened LH2.2 dizzy, with no welding

Old 11-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #737
Broke4speed
Board Member

...aaaaaand the lower gasket kit I got has the main water pump gasket, the flat o-ring...but no upper seal. .
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #738
Broke4speed
Board Member

Bought a set of Saab 900 plug wires...and they sorta worked. #1 was too short, but I had a blue NGK redblock wire that sacrificed itself for the cause. I had to swap the cap ends over to some slimmer elbows to get everything to fit, but it's done now. I also found a non-rotted water pipe at the junkyard yesterday, on the ONLY redblock car they had. Cleaned it up, gave it a shot of red, and one less part needed for the swap. I have a power steering pump bracket coming, and if I could dig up a non-crappy alternator, I'd have everything I need.