home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #451
rijk
Board Member

Default Good luck

Good luck with the build of your new workshop, Sander.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #452
ortho stice
Board Member

…underground?? Sounds cool.
ortho stice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:41 AM   #453
JerryJS8
der Junge

An underground workshop in the Netherlands??? But if anyone is good at building below sea level, it's gonna be you guys
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #454
940 16 valve
Board Member

Always love reading this thread! Any pictures of this underground workshop? Sounds very interesting.

Sander - what's your plan for getting a signal for the speedometer with the BMW rear end? I've been looking at solutions for my BMW diff - like yours - and how I might be able to fabricate a new tone ring to replace the BMW one with the proper number of sensor holes. Have you come up with anything, or does it somehow tie into your ABS solution?
Old 11-15-2021, 09:37 AM   #455
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
An underground workshop in the Netherlands??? But if anyone is good at building below sea level, it's gonna be you guys
Haha I live on a hill, no issues with water here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 16 valve View Post
Always love reading this thread! Any pictures of this underground workshop? Sounds very interesting.

Sander - what's your plan for getting a signal for the speedometer with the BMW rear end? I've been looking at solutions for my BMW diff - like yours - and how I might be able to fabricate a new tone ring to replace the BMW one with the proper number of sensor holes. Have you come up with anything, or does it somehow tie into your ABS solution?
I have 2 options for that, option 1 is indeed the speedo output of the ABS unit. Option 2 (which I'm going with) is via my transmission controller. The stand alone unit I'm using needs a speed input and can handle basically anything for an input, including the BMW sensor type and tone ring. The controller can then output a fully definable signal for the speedo to read.
Your solution won't work with the BMW sensor in the Volvo btw. BMW uses a different kind of sensor. It's basically a contact point that gets closed by a magnet and opens when the tone wheel gets between it. That way it makes a 5v square wave signal that the Volvo can't read. You need the Volvo sensor too.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #456
940 16 valve
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
I have 2 options for that, option 1 is indeed the speedo output of the ABS unit. Option 2 (which I'm going with) is via my transmission controller. The stand alone unit I'm using needs a speed input and can handle basically anything for an input, including the BMW sensor type and tone ring. The controller can then output a fully definable signal for the speedo to read.
Your solution won't work with the BMW sensor in the Volvo btw. BMW uses a different kind of sensor. It's basically a contact point that gets closed by a magnet and opens when the tone wheel gets between it. That way it makes a 5v square wave signal that the Volvo can't read. You need the Volvo sensor too.
Thanks for the info Sander, that saves me a lot of time going down that rabbithole. Back to the drawing board then!
940 16 valve is offline   Reply With Quote