home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #126
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

I was there with NASA, then the autocross the week after was TCUSA.

I think they're not coming back to LRP until October and even then they're not doing HPDE1 at that event.

Would have gotten out there earlier but wasn't so hot on starting out without an instructor. He took me for a ride in his new GT3RS next session. Jesus Christ.

Last edited by redblockpowered; 04-30-2021 at 11:45 AM..
redblockpowered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #127
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
I was there with NASA, then the autocross the week after was TCUSA.

I think they're not coming back to LRP until October and even then they're not doing HPDE1 at that event.

Would have gotten out there earlier but wasn't so hot on starting out without an instructor. He took me for a ride in his new GT3RS next session. Jesus Christ.
How competitive are guys at those type of events? I want to get out on the track this year and my dad wants to run his new CTS-V wagon but neither of us want to deal with any a-holes overdriving their cars because they think they are racing. Track night in America was pretty chill.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #128
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Seemed pretty chill to me. The only HPDE people I saw that really got into it were the instructors in the instructors-only group. All in all I'd strongly recommend it.

For HPDE1 you have to have an instructor onboard and they decide when you're ready to move up so things are kept pretty well under control.

Edit: They're also very strict about passing in the novice groups. Don't defend (it's a trackday, not a Grand Prix) and don't go until you get pointed by (since it means they probably don't see you). Not that it means you only get to pass if your car makes good power.

Last edited by redblockpowered; 04-30-2021 at 01:34 PM..
Old 06-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #129
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

It's been a little bit, let's catch up on some stuff. First off I'm waiting on 1) a throwout bearing and 2) a fancy Ferrita exhaust from Sweden. The bearing has been in customs for nearly a month and the exhaust seems to be made to order (I got it from VP Autoparts, who have been very helpful and transparent) and missed the first shipping container it could have been. Might be another month? Who knows. Then it's back to the dyno for a retune.

I posted a thread here about a peculiar boost control problem I've been having (boost tapering down by gear across multiple actuators, seemingly regardless of boost controller settings) and I'm thinking the tiny stock exhaust may be a contributor.

Tried to delete cupholder armrest, because it is bulky, worth money, and I don't use it. Was left confused instead. Doesn't seem to want to come out, like the rivet is supposed to be a screw. The armrest was installed when the car was new if it makes a difference. I have the paperwork.

It's a little mangled here on the front but all the cupholders are intact and I took the cupholder cartridge apart like a year ago to rebuild/lubricate it. Buy now!

Got sick of the reverse rake, figured the car would benefit from a little more negative camber+front spring rate+steeper roll axis angle so cut half a coil off the front springs. Feels a little pointier. Probably in my head. Definitely looks better.

Consult earlier pictures for comparison. I measured the difference in ride height at 17 mm before and after, both sides.

Decided to drive to Philly to see friends now that we can go places again. Some prep ensued.

Figured a good Grand Touring™ machine such as this needs air conditioning so my passengers don't complain about it. Best guess based on earlier disassembly when I replaced all the seals and the broken line was that the compressor was junk, so I gambled on a used one.

Packaging in this part of the car is a pain in the ass. Everything is hard to get to. I put some oil in the compressor and some in the accumulator, like I read to do. 7.8 ounces as specified for the Seiko Seiki 1993+ compressor. Then I didn't have time to get it charged and it never cracked 80 degrees on my trip anyway. It's the thought that counts.

Ended up being a little bit of a thrash to get it all together in time. I am a time management expert.

Also put a very nice used turn signal stalk in there, assuming that the broken wires in the stalk were impeding cruise control capabilities. They were but there's still something wrong. More diagnosis is needed.

Drove down without issue and saw this 245 looking somewhat worse for wear:

And some construction debris fell on/was thrown at my car:

I found it on the base of my windshield. Irksome, for sure. I was parked under a tree so it could have fallen on it but the trajectory/impact tells me maybe someone wasn't happy a car with out of state plates was on their block.

Here was the view for about an hour on the way back:

Some ~40 minutes away from home the tension bolt on the alternator broke (rookie mistake, clearly I was hasty with reassembly) and glazed the hell out of the already pretty worn out alternator belt. I squeaked home (embarrassing) after a small field repair.

Always check your work!

Oh, and also:

Old 07-03-2021, 05:46 PM   #130
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

hey what's this
Old 07-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #131
Jerd
Board Member

whoa! noice.
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:01 PM   #132
Swedbrick
Board Member

Groovy
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:28 AM   #133
klr142
Turbo, what?

Sweet! Any update on the exhaust yet?
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #134
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

VP should have it sometime in the next few days

Diff is set up in the axle with the 3.31 ring and pinion but the axle isn't in the car yet.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #135
esmth
Board Member

Quote:
Diff is set up in the axle with the 3.31 ring and pinion but the axle isn't in the car yet.
Now do it a second time, but for me
Old 08-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #136
shoestring
Board Member

Let me get the puller for the pinion gear first.
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #137
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Woah! What a huge difference.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #138
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
hey what's this
Jealous!
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #139
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

First tank (well, half tank) with regear, driving like I just installed an LSD in my car: almost 28 mpg!

I took pictures of the install but keep forgetting to put them up on imgur.

Big takeaways from the install: 1031 backlash spec is a little looser than 1041, and pinion bearings are a pain in the ass. Factory stuff is made pretty damn well. Took a couple tries to get everything shimmed up right, and without the factory tools I don't see how it wouldn't.

I'm really surprised how little cornering effort it takes to feel a difference.

Bought oil, will have to do that and put the Motul in the axle like Wavetrac says to do on the included piece of paper now that I've done the break-in.

I took it up to Maine last weekend in search of breweries, lunch, and good roads. Whiffed on the first thing, had mediocre lunch at a diner, but had a great time driving around. It definitely feels like it's set up a little too soft, but do I really want to do anything about that?
Old 08-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #140
klr142
Turbo, what?

The Wavetrac is set up soft or the stock suspension? Hah!

What was the rear end gearing before?
Old 08-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #141
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

3.73s before. Too muscle car for me.

The Wavetrac locking action is just right. The stockish suspension is a little soggy. 190/110 spring rates and 25/19 bars not enough. If I could figure out a way to run more front bar I'd do it.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #142
klr142
Turbo, what?

Ok, Grandpa...

Hah, yes, those springs are soft soft soft. I would run more spring before more bar, though!
Old 09-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #143
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Ok, Grandpa...

Hah, yes, those springs are soft soft soft. I would run more spring before more bar, though!
I drive this car almost 100 miles a day during school (mostly through construction zones these days, ugh...) I need to make sure it's comfortable above all.

Anyway, diff install pictures:

This wasn't too much of a struggle.

Had lots of cleaning to do so I didn't fill the center section with grime.

Goodbye G80. You won't be missed.

Test fit 1: Fail! Needs more backlash. We found 1031 and 1041 specs are different.

Test fit 2: Not enough of a change. Baby steps.

Final wear pattern. Happy with it.

And here's a fantastic picture of the coast side.

Measuring backlash.

Pretty much dead on. I think spec says to shoot for 0.0045". We measured in a couple spots around the ring gear and they were all the same.

Some notes taken during install. I think everything but the wheel bearings got changed. I checked the Kaplhenke tone ring for diameter before installing as well and it was maybe hundredths of a millimeter off. Needless to say, the speedometer is exactly the same.

And all back together, ready for action.

Shortly afterward I re-sealed most of the front of the engine with Volvo stuff (front cover/cam seal/intermediate shaft) which went mostly well other than the fact that I broke one of the front cover bolts off in the block like a doofus. It came out easily, thank goodness. The electric ratchet had more beans than expected.

All in all a massive upgrade.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:16 AM   #144
klr142
Turbo, what?

That’s a lot of mileage a day! (100)
Old 09-21-2021, 05:43 PM   #145
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Also, finally got this in the mail after months of waiting:

I bought this from VP Autoparts back in March and getting it here has been an ordeal. First it was coming in June, then it missed the boat (literally), then in August when the next container came they (Ferrita) thought it had been shipped in the previous container since they couldn't find it when going to pack that shipment. Communication between VP and Ferrita revealed it had been lost under some shipping pallets. It ended up getting airmailed to me through VP, and they included a pretty nice cooler bag thing as a reward for my patience. I'm pretty impressed that at no point did I have to flag anyone down to get an update on what was going on with the exhaust. VP Autoparts customer service was on it the whole time.

Fortunately the fit and finish is excellent and the install was completely painless, other than removing the rotten Starla exhaust that was on there. Exhaust tone and performance improved significantly, and I'm excited to have a stainless exhaust on there since I drive this car in the winter.

Unfortunately performance improved enough that this car now needs a more performance oriented clutch solution.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #146
klr142
Turbo, what?

w00! You can always turn down the boost to fix that clutch problem...
Old 09-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #147
Swedbrick
Board Member

Shiny! When will we get the celebratory exhaust note video?:p
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #148
shoestring
Board Member

As a parent and neighborhood homeowner I appreciate that this exhaust actually sounds less crappy/cheap/boomy than the stock system it replaced. I would say it has a very modern and mature 4 cyl turbocharged engine sound, Focus ST comes to mind. Stock, not boy racer.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:07 AM   #149
reiernumans
Board Member

Read the entire thread yesterday, love what you're doing with this so far. Keep it up! I enjoyed the nerdy bits about springrates, although I didn't really understand it. Makes me want to read into chassis tuning more and more so I can get my car from that other Swedish brand dialed.

The Ferrita exhausts are awesome, not too loud and a very nice tone in my experience. Good choice, looks nice!
reiernumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #150
redblockpowered
cone dodging dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiernumans View Post
Read the entire thread yesterday, love what you're doing with this so far. Keep it up! I enjoyed the nerdy bits about springrates, although I didn't really understand it. Makes me want to read into chassis tuning more and more so I can get my car from that other Swedish brand dialed.

The Ferrita exhausts are awesome, not too loud and a very nice tone in my experience. Good choice, looks nice!
Thanks! The chassis setup stuff has taken a lot of reading but so far feels worth it. I'm really happy with the exhaust, in fact it seems a lot less buzzy than the Starla that was on there before in addition to the better tone which is a pleasant surprise.

TTV flywheel is in the mail and 850R clutch is here already. Hoping the lighter flywheel isn't too much noisier. Sticking with a Volvo clutch with factory type pedal pressure/behavior was a priority.