home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2021, 12:59 AM   #76
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

So much italiana going on in here
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #77
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
So much italiana going on in here
Si, grazie mille! I was just counting the euro parts on this car. Apart from the Swedish car and German engine and gear box, it has a French panoramic roof, a Polish LPG system, Italian brakes and seats, Ford UK steering wheel (open for debate), and even Dutch shocks.

The only thing non-metric part I'm aware of is the Yankee diff.
__________________
Ambitious but rubbish.

The 245 GT

The Euromurican
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #78
JW240
All idiot, no savant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Don't forget the wheel studs/nuts and front wheel bearings too.



Anyways! Great update, the seats are awesome.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:06 AM   #79
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
Don't forget the wheel studs/nuts and front wheel bearings too.



Anyways! Great update, the seats are awesome.
You just ruined my day. :[
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #80
JW240
All idiot, no savant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn02 View Post
You just ruined my day. :[
I never fail to disappoint =]

Wheel bearings can be changed to something more beefy/modern and probably metric. Saw it in Sweden where some guys with BMW swapped 240's are reaching unhealthy speeds for the stock bearings.

Might be worth it for more metric.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:22 AM   #81
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
I never fail to disappoint =]

Wheel bearings can be changed to something more beefy/modern and probably metric. Saw it in Sweden where some guys with BMW swapped 240's are reaching unhealthy speeds for the stock bearings.

Might be worth it for more metric.
Bla whatever. I just live with it and pretend I don't know. Proven strategy.
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #82
JW240
All idiot, no savant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn02 View Post
Bla whatever. I just live with it and pretend I don't know. Proven strategy.
I reject your reality and substitute my own. Works bestt

Nice battery bracket btw, gonna copy it.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:01 AM   #83
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post

Nice battery bracket btw, gonna copy it.
Thx! It's finished and placed. There is a 275x175x175mm battery in there, which also is some size in imperial (based on arbitrary sizes of body parts).

I used self-tapping screws for mock up but it's fastened to the body with M8 bolts. I put some foam tape on the brackets tabs.






Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #84
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

It was shortly outside because I'm getting another car lift.



Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #85
2 old for this
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

Interesting to see that Varta still makes batteries. I remember seeing them in early 70s. Also Tuder,which seemed to last forever.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #86
76Blue242
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Default

I'm going to revive this thread for now. I'm actually the guy that sold this car to you back in 2014 - oh the nostalgia of my first ever car. Since then I occasionally check the registers to see if it's still around, and stumbled upon this thread. It's great to see the whip's still going strong (probably going stronger than ever).

I bought the car (after many rounds around the mall parking lot in my dad's mustard yellow 244) from a lady in Velsen-Noord when I was 17. I registered it in my dad's name (cheap insurance + I don't think I could legally own the car due to the fact I hadn't passed my driver's license yet). Anyway, I bought this on a rainy Saturday morning for the grand total of €2000 of my hard-earned money, hoping to turn it into a sleeper one day (I aimed at a blue/white type of thing with gold coronas, similar to Bamse's). As Arno points out: for its age the car was in great shape. It had some minor rust, but other than that I don't recall any serious issues. Ah, I remember one day before Arno came to pick it up, the idle sensor thingie (?) broke, resulting in the car doing high revs even when idling. I was told it's a €5 part.

The car definitely needed some maintenance when I got it, so I had the oil pump, head gasket, and some other things replaced. I vividly remember the time I was driving with my friends (of course after I obtained my license), pressed the brakes but nothing happened (the lady had never checked the brake fluid). I yanked the handbrake to come to a full standstill only 5 centimeters from a concrete wall. Other than that I didn't drive much, maybe 20km a week. The ride was quite smooth IIRC and loved the squeaky seat springs. The sound the doors make when they close is almost vault-like. So heavy and solid, love it.

After owning it for about 7-8 months, Dutch law was changed by the eco lobby. The idea was to bully all Mercedes 190D drivers into oblivion, and for some reason LPG (this car) + Diesel cars were put in the same (high) tax bracket. Also, the threshold for old-timers was raised from 35 years to 40 years. This meant that the monthly costs for this car rose from €17 (insurance) + €0 road tax (>35 years old, and thus exempted) to approx €120. At the time I was still a student living at home and there was no way I could afford this in the long term, especially given the fact I hardly drove it.
Unfortunately I didn't have a barn or garage to store it for another few years, so I ended up selling it (I still have a picture of you and your girlfriend sitting in the car after we handled the paperwork). I absolutely hated selling this car, especially given the (mainly political) reason for it, but it's great to see it's still alive and kicking. You turned it into the Frankenstein that I would've built too, frankly. And by the looks of it, you did a much better job than I ever would've done, so thank you for that.
If you ever want to get rid of it, please let me know and I'll buy it back in an instant. I'll keep following this page and I'd love to see it one day (IIRC your in-laws live in G-town too, right?).

Enjoy the weekend!

Last edited by 76Blue242; 10-08-2021 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: grammar
76Blue242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #87
244tiCanuck
Board Member
 
244tiCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Edmonton
Default

Excellent thread!
Such a cool build, can't wait to see it all done.

Also, noticed this when I first clicked the thead:
__________________
1989 Volvo 764 Turbo
1999 GMC Denali
1994 Volvo 944 Regina
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruill242 View Post
I've had my ass kicked many-a times by a goose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengiskhan View Post
FWD sedans are for guys that like to do other guys in the but and receive it in the buh-hootey.
RWD wagons are for guys that are ballers, they enjoy their sexuality, since they actually get girls.
Just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
Dude don't call me the freak just because you've beaten your taint into the consistency of an old baseball glove.
244tiCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:54 AM   #88
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Blue242 View Post
I'm going to revive this thread for now. I'm actually the guy that sold this car to you back in 2014 - oh the nostalgia of my first ever car. Since then I occasionally check the registers to see if it's still around, and stumbled upon this thread. It's great to see the whip's still going strong (probably going stronger than ever).

I bought the car (after many rounds around the mall parking lot in my dad's mustard yellow 244) from a lady in Velsen-Noord when I was 17. I registered it in my dad's name (cheap insurance + I don't think I could legally own the car due to the fact I hadn't passed my driver's license yet). Anyway, I bought this on a rainy Saturday morning for the grand total of €2000 of my hard-earned money, hoping to turn it into a sleeper one day (I aimed at a blue/white type of thing with gold coronas, similar to Bamse's). As Arno points out: for its age the car was in great shape. It had some minor rust, but other than that I don't recall any serious issues. Ah, I remember one day before Arno came to pick it up, the idle sensor thingie (?) broke, resulting in the car doing high revs even when idling. I was told it's a €5 part.

The car definitely needed some maintenance when I got it, so I had the oil pump, head gasket, and some other things replaced. I vividly remember the time I was driving with my friends (of course after I obtained my license), pressed the brakes but nothing happened (the lady had never checked the brake fluid). I yanked the handbrake to come to a full standstill only 5 centimeters from a concrete wall. Other than that I didn't drive much, maybe 20km a week. The ride was quite smooth IIRC and loved the squeaky seat springs. The sound the doors make when they close is almost vault-like. So heavy and solid, love it.

After owning it for about 7-8 months, Dutch law was changed by the eco lobby. The idea was to bully all Mercedes 190D drivers into oblivion, and for some reason LPG (this car) + Diesel cars were put in the same (high) tax bracket. Also, the threshold for old-timers was raised from 35 years to 40 years. This meant that the monthly costs for this car rose from €17 (insurance) + €0 road tax (>35 years old, and thus exempted) to approx €120. At the time I was still a student living at home and there was no way I could afford this in the long term, especially given the fact I hardly drove it.
Unfortunately I didn't have a barn or garage to store it for another few years, so I ended up selling it (I still have a picture of you and your girlfriend sitting in the car after we handled the paperwork). I absolutely hated selling this car, especially given the (mainly political) reason for it, but it's great to see it's still alive and kicking. You turned it into the Frankenstein that I would've built too, frankly. And by the looks of it, you did a much better job than I ever would've done, so thank you for that.
If you ever want to get rid of it, please let me know and I'll buy it back in an instant. I'll keep following this page and I'd love to see it one day (IIRC your in-laws live in G-town too, right?).

Enjoy the weekend!

Hi man, that's cool you found this. Thread has been dormant for a while and I didn't check TB, or at least not my blog here. Yes, I'm still with the girl from Geleen, nine years already. When it's done and I'm in South Limburg I'll take you for a spin.
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:15 AM   #89
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 244tiCanuck View Post
Excellent thread!
Such a cool build, can't wait to see it all done.
Thx man. I can't either.

So I haven't been doing too much with this project. I spent time working on my BMW 2000 tilux and Honda GL1000. But whenever I had some spare time I work(ed) on the massive task that is wiring. I got about 90% done now.




A guy called Airco Leo helped me connect the BMW AC parts to the Volvo AC parts. Made all new lines.



And they hold pressure.




Now I can put the later type dashboard in and finish the wiring. Basically some things need connecting to the center console, I need to make the plug to connect to the M60 harness, and I need to sort out the wiring for the control of the automatic.



Later more.
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:55 AM   #90
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D
 
adomz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chepstow, Wales, Uk
Default

Nicw work!!
__________________
Errr.... 242... No engine no cringdingding...

=->Adam's youtube channel<-=


adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:57 AM   #91
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Small, unspectacular update. Another hurdle though.

The 5HP30 automatic has its own DME, which is great, but it needs wiring. I took some of the harness from the donor when I bought the gear box.




And then I turned it into a simplified loom.




In theory the DME should now get all the input signals it needs. I probably build the mode selector (visible on upper pic) some where in the center console. We'll see.
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #92
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

EGS*

/pedantry
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #93
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
EGS*

/pedantry
Auf Deutsch nennt man so etwas Getriebesteuerung.

/Besserwisser
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #94
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn02 View Post
Auf Deutsch nennt man so etwas Getriebesteuerung.

/Besserwisser
Vergiß nicht den Elektrohydraulische Teil des Namens
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:29 AM   #95
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Remember these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn02 View Post
These are Fiat Coupe seats in a Volvo 242.



Well, away with this sith already! I scored an e63 M6 interior and the front seats fit the 242 well.



They need a paint job but Angelus leather paint works perfect.


Nearly all the interior wiring is done as well. Mammoth task. Soon the dashboard can go back in.




Also pretty happy with how the hybrid shifter turned out.




I may or may not change the fake wooden lever. Who knows?
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #96
propav8r
F*ck Edgar
 
propav8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Franklin, NC
Default

I really like this. We're also front end twinsies.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecatd8209 View Post
I don't even know Scotty D, is he like Weldy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Space time farts
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #97
Arn02
Board Member
 
Arn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r View Post
I really like this. We're also front end twinsies.
I love that front. It's so ugly that it becomes beautiful. Really happy with it.
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.