home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #126
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

couple pics. on the struggle bus with the video, probably gonna have to upload it to yoootooob

fixing the fuel return..

set up to drill the hole for the bulkhead fitting

greg mocking up the intercooler piping today:

wanted to try and keep the stock airbox, but it didn't seem to jive. I may re-vist that later, but for now it'll get the ubiquitous k&n cone. desperate times and measures and what not.

Drove the car sans piping over to greg's, ~8 or 10 miles total. kept the rpms down and the throttle angle low, and just eased her on over there. the couple times it tried to kickdown and rev over 3000 I had tach signal dropout, so I'll have to see if I have a shunt on there or not, I seem to recall messing with that a while back for some other reason. Aside from that, it ran well enough. probably going to have to source shorter springs for the front, I dropped it down some more to level it with the rear and it's back to almost hitting the inside of the tires, with 8mm spacers.

Still have all the interior stuff to do, but the car should be done tomorrow noon-ish, so I oughta have time to work on a good portion of that stuff. oh and I need like 30 feet of vacuum line, the OG 1991 stuff is quite a bit long in the tooth at this point lol

idle clip from last night. it was wayy lean initially, so I did the right thing and raised the req_fuel until it ran decent.
https://youtu.be/3nWJYi1xeyA

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!

Last edited by linuxman51; 09-17-2021 at 08:28 PM..
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #127
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

got an early text saying the car is done. gonna grab the trailer and turn the truck around in a few and go get it.

looking goooood....
Old 09-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #128
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

quick vid today. more details later and maybe some dyno video
https://youtu.be/pzU_pSz0Fak
Old 09-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #129
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post

Still have all the interior stuff to do, but the car should be done tomorrow noon-ish, so I oughta have time to work on a good portion of that stuff. oh and I need like 30 feet of vacuum line, the OG 1991 stuff is quite a bit long in the tooth at this point lol
Get rid of all the soft lines - use quick connect fittings & 4mm/5/16" nitrile line. Less failure, no clamps to blow off, no hose to crack.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #130
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

maybe in the future. for now, new rubber should suffice for a while.

got it on the dyno, think my new wideband promptly died, so I ended up switching to the dyno wideband (ntk setup), roughed in the cruise areas, targeted 12.0 for in boost above 7psi (it's currently running around 18psi +-). The T cam really rains on the ol' parade above 5000 rpms. May try and add some more timing up there, but I gotta feeling that is what it is right now. it's sitting at around 185whp, I probably ought to verify timing before I do that. I have an ipd turbo cam that'll be going on in the next couple of weeks, that should help the situation a bit, and I'll probably do a boost leak test on it as well. it spools up fast and hits pretty hard, but sometimes things get missed. it's hosed me a couple times in the past when setups haven't performed as expected (though, tbh, I really didn't know what to expect with this one, so there is that). Suppose I could also do an intercooler comparison as well and make sure it's performing as it should as well.

Anyway, the big parts of the setup are pretty much locked in..
R injectors (will need to upgrade, already hitting 80% up top, even though the dc calcs are a little optimistic for ms)
K 24 off an R
npr ic
3 inch exhaust
the ol aem/k&n coneski filter.
microsquirt plug and play, with LS truck coils in wasted spark.

at 7psi it was making ~130ish whp, which is not too far removed from what the 13c did at 7psi as well. I'll dig in a bit later this evening, but I've also gotta shift gears and start putting the interior back together and working on that sort of stuff as well.

https://youtu.be/6tl5kSBXh14
Old 09-19-2021, 08:40 PM   #131
doucheNozzle

80% dc at 185whp?
Why does that not seem to add up?

'93 944 T - #TrophyVo
'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:49 AM   #132
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I'm fairly confident the OE injectors run well over 100% (per the ms calculations, which aren't always the most accurate), but going from 310's to 440's or whatever the green injectors are isn't a substantial jump in fuel really at the end of the day, so if you figure the stockers max out at 14-15psi on the 13c (or at around 170whp give or take), and these guys are still sitting around the low 80's at a bit more power, it starts to come on out in the wash.

I did get a bit more power at lower boost, in an attempt to curb the big spike, I took half a turn out of the mbc and that dropped boost to around 190-195kpa (13.5ish psi), car made 165whp there, and then at around 16-17psi it was back up at 185 (until a heater hose split at around 5000rpms, heh), so it's not awful, not great, but not totally out to lunch. If the cam doesn't make a big difference I'll be bummed (and looking harder at everything on the setup), but it's not total garbage for what amount to shakedown runs.

So.. replaced one of the heater hoses (the other was already newer), took a good look at the heater control valve, it looks alright. Will probably pick up a spare and have it with me.
Coolant temps stay good, the ol' mechanical fan is working well.
Charged the a/c back up, it's blowing cold (compressor doesn't sound great, that may be a winter project)
Got the passenger side interior put back together, ebrake cable hooked back up and center console put back together.

tomorrow (later today?) it'll go over and get an alignment, and at that point it's fluid checks and cosmetic type things that are left before MM.

Last edited by linuxman51; 09-20-2021 at 01:00 AM..
Old 09-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #133
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
I'm fairly confident the OE injectors run well over 100% (per the ms calculations, which aren't always the most accurate), but going from 310's to 440's or whatever the green injectors are isn't a substantial jump in fuel really at the end of the day, so if you figure the stockers max out at 14-15psi on the 13c (or at around 170whp give or take), and these guys are still sitting around the low 80's at a bit more power, it starts to come on out in the wash.

I did get a bit more power at lower boost, in an attempt to curb the big spike, I took half a turn out of the mbc and that dropped boost to around 190-195kpa (13.5ish psi), car made 165whp there, and then at around 16-17psi it was back up at 185 (until a heater hose split at around 5000rpms, heh), so it's not awful, not great, but not totally out to lunch. If the cam doesn't make a big difference I'll be bummed (and looking harder at everything on the setup), but it's not total garbage for what amount to shakedown runs.

So.. replaced one of the heater hoses (the other was already newer), took a good look at the heater control valve, it looks alright. Will probably pick up a spare and have it with me.
Coolant temps stay good, the ol' mechanical fan is working well.
Charged the a/c back up, it's blowing cold (compressor doesn't sound great, that may be a winter project)
Got the passenger side interior put back together, ebrake cable hooked back up and center console put back together.

tomorrow (later today?) it'll go over and get an alignment, and at that point it's fluid checks and cosmetic type things that are left before MM.
If you haven't aligned it yet, you might want to twist those strut mounts so they are pointed a bit back so you can pick up some + caster along with - camber
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #134
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

got aligned this morning, came out fairly well. May get the balance checked on the wheels tomorrow, it has a vibration at speed that feels like a wheel balance. Just gotta couple other small odds and ends to tighten up.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #135
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

got the other radiator retainer/clip/whatever installed (the fitting the bolt threads into pulled out, so, drilled it all the way through and just put a 10mm nut on the other end).

Got the car aligned, it was a fight for whatever reason, was going to run -1.5 up front but I reckon I didn't get both hats aligned quite the same, so -1 for now and will revisit later as needed.

washed the car, hit it with a quick claybar session, and then installed the stereo. got a couple little bits and bobs to put back together on the interior and it'll be good to go.
gonna pull the wheels and get them balanced at some point today (pretty sure at least one of em threw a weight)

whoever installed the stereo in a previous life did a real bang-up job... the ol' twist-n-tape method. cleaned up the part at the head unit, gotta check the speaker wires down at the amp connector end before I button all that up, but... le sigh.

Got a few other odds and ends to stitch up underhood as well, but it's looking like a solid go for mountain meet, with future enhancements later this winter.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #136
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

more small bits and bobs.. slotted the throttle cable bracket (Something is going on there, not sure what) to relieve some of the tension there, moved the pickup for the kickdown cable, gotta feeling someone put a 72L cable on the car or something like that along the way, with everything in the stock position the kickdown cable couldn't be set loose enough for decent operation, so I've corrected that now.

made a bracket for the oil cooler (really more of a tab), got that mounted, altered the plastic airguide on that side of the engine changed up a bit to try and direct airflow back over the cooler. got the charcoal canister back on the car with new lines, and ran a breather hose into a powerade bottle (catch can will be set up down the road, out of time right now).

got the wheels balanced and re-installed, put poly swaybar bushings on (was in the process of swapping on a front ipd sway but realized it was bent...sooo as a good second effort I put the mount bushings I got in last week in the car), drip tray back on. Mechanically the car is ready to go.

today I gotta finish dropping the headliner, and put the driver's side lower plastics back up, vacuum it out real quick, and then it's load up for mountain meet time.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #137
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

headliner is down (fairly easy actually...)just vacuum and other cleanup left.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:42 AM   #138
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

car is up by the house, headed to bed (actually, car has been up by the house since about 9:30 after we dropped some stuff off at sam's). installed the spare dyno wideband, buttoned up the interior after dropping the headliner, vacuumed the car, MBC fell apart (apparently I did not get the lock nut tight enough), may have to resort to drastic measures to get more than 7psi for the weekend. probably going to use plan b: vacuum tee and ziptie (and set a reasonable boost cut value in case of runaway), as I doubt I have another ball and spring floating around in the shop available on short notice lol.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:12 PM   #139
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

oof. tired. will update this thread with pics from the past week a bit later.

Car did well for what amounted to a 700ish mile round trip shakedown run, the suspension worked well in the mountain twisties, only had one or two minor mechanical issues, which will be resolved here soon. Ran out of gas in downtown ATL, that was fun (costco hosed me, did not get a full tank of gas monday, only got about ~2/3s).. after checking things though the rough tune returned roughly 19.8mpg.
Good times
Old 09-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #140
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Hell of a shakedown drive.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:45 AM   #141
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

since we got back into town I've... done nothing but drive the car, running the 2 year old to daycare in the mornings. It's been largely uneventful, I ordered replacement mbc's and a mac valve, waiting on those to show up. apparently the ups truck broke down, but no biggie.

starting to plan out the rest of the upgrades (and determine why the stereo stopped working. also finally found my amp, so I can toss some beats in the back). first on the list is probably getting it detailed, and then reinstalling the roof rack, followed shortly by redoing the headliner. The power seat does not appear to be working anymore on the driver's side, so I'm going to entertain replacement options for that and the passenger seat (something that's a little more comfortable and also holds you in a little better), not sure yet.

distant #squadgoals -> r&r the 71L in I have sitting around for it, maybe get a slightly looser converter at the same time (maybe not...don't have a lot of complaints with the current stall speed really). whenever the springs and retainers come in, I'll upgrade to the ipd turbo cam, and probably sometime this fall order up some wheels for this car so the eikers can go back where they belong on the 242.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:09 AM   #142
klr142
Turbo, what?

Are you waiting on the springs/retainers from me? I think they may show up Monday so hopefully I can get them on their way next weekend! I can't wait to see how much the car picks up with a cam upgrade!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #143
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Are you waiting on the springs/retainers from me? I think they may show up Monday so hopefully I can get them on their way next weekend! I can't wait to see how much the car picks up with a cam upgrade!
yeah. no rush, but yeah. haha
Old 10-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #144
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

pics (finally. it's been a week)

dyno graph

up on the alignment rack

oil cooler mounted

charcoal can and air guide back in

kickdown bracket moved (still not sure why that was a thing, but I have several of those brackets laying around in case of future needs)

the overall underhood "effect". now that MM is done, I need to fab or buy coil brackets.

all the things stashed in the glovebox

kick panels, etc back installed (this was prior to vacuuming the car. anyone that's seen my other cars knows how rare it is for those panels to make it back in lol)

the heater hose that sprayed down both the tv and the dyno monitor

so yeah. that kinda catches things back up. I probably need to snug the kickdown some more, this trans does not have the accumulator mod done to it though and it's already kinda got a soft 1-2 shift, so I'll dig up a new spiroloc for the th400 and put it back together and set it aside, and get the 71L up on the bench and start looking at bits and bobs for it. it came out of a running/driving car (Well it ran and drove until it stopped running because of some electronic issue), so I imagine a basic re-seal and some uprated clutches, possibly a 4 stacker in c2, and of course the accum mod. one of these days I may stop and figure out which passage to block in the c2 accumulator to get the crisp 2-3 shift but not hammer you in reverse.

Oh yeah and an e-fan that I can attach to the fan shroud.. since I'm pretty sure I roached the hell out of the mechanical fan during the drive saturday... That'll probably be tops there.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:41 PM   #145
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

https://youtu.be/1VYQiA2Vy9E

mountain meet prep
Old 10-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #146
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

woohoo! valve springs are here. probably need to order an assortment of shims now along with a belt kit I reckon.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #147
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

drove it around the other day, and noticed it seemed to be..sluggish (more so than your average b230ft out of boost), so I hit it with the timing stick this morning down low. better, not great (yet), but with all things, improvement doesn't always happen in one shot. trying hard not to just stab the cam and springs in this weekend (or even this afternoon), and wait til I get a timing belt kit and some other ancillary tune-up items.. we'll see how that internal struggle goes.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #148
klr142
Turbo, what?

It does have a bigger turbo, too, though! And it's probably heavy. You know better than I, but good luck with the internal struggle. It's only time, right? Time is free and you have lots of it, right?
Old 10-15-2021, 11:20 AM   #149
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I should not have datalogged things this morning. Around town fuel economy is around 16ish (and I don't drive it particularly slow lol), so that's not awful I reckon, still working on the low speed economy and efficiency, so it may come up a little.. probably not though

anyway, the nearly 1 second 1-2 (or was it 2-3, don't recall, doesn't matter) indicates that I need to move the trans refresh up the list of priorities.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #150
klr142
Turbo, what?

Maybe you should put that camshaft in after all. It’ll reduce your torque so your transmission will last longer. It likely won’t help your weak low end, though…