home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
Elvolvito
Board Member

Exclamation Need help with some sort of electrical issue please

Alright, so my Ď88 244 is having an electrical issue I believe. About a month ago, the alt belts started squealing as well as all the lights in the car occasionally dimming. This problem persisted for about 2 weeks till I took it to the local euro mechanic in my area & he let me know that my alternator was overcharging, & he recommended getting a new alt & installing a new battery as well since all that overcharging fried up my battery. Fast forward to now, Iíve installed a brand new alt, as well as a new battery & itís been riding completely solid for about a week. However, the belts started shrieking again just now & the powers giving signs of going dim again. Now I have a very good suspect in mind for whatís causing this. Before all of this ever started occurring, I had just installed 2 new front speakers in the car. (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=6065206). I never really did any research on speakers for my Volvo before purchasing them & I believe that they may be sucking too much juice out of my alternator & thatís causing it to overcharge? What do you guys think? I even just uninstalled them off the wires & the car actually does seem to be doing better. I just want to be sure that itís the speakers. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
philski o'flood
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvolvito View Post
I believe that they may be sucking too much juice out of my alternator & thatís causing it to overcharge? What do you guys think?.
highly unlikely
philski o'flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
2 old for this
Board Member

Why not check the belt tension?
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
Radtap
Board Member

All the lights in my ‘80 flutter and I have no sound system, it’s just a weak charging system or bad grounds. You can try swapping bulbs for LEDs and lower your draw on the alt if you don’t want to install a higher amp alt.
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #5
Radtap
Board Member

I am constantly chasing electrical issues in my car and so far 99% of the time it’s just been a bad ground or corroded/dirty connection. Just slowly making my way through all the connectors in the car and either cleaning or replacing
Radtap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #6
c1800
Board Member

Check all the pulleys to ensure they are in alignment. Alternator mountings can get bent/out of alignment, as well as other things.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
Elvolvito
Board Member

My belts & pulleys are good according to the mechanic & myself after a thorough inspection. Okay the issue seems to be coming from the small D+ terminal on the alt. Another thing I’ve noticed is that the battery light (alt light) on the dash doesn’t flash whenever I go to turn on the car & whenever I flick the key to the first position.
Elvolvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Elvolvito
Board Member

It’s a refurbished Remy 80 amp alternator
Old 11-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

If the charging system has a bad charging light circuit. You can get weird flashing and dimming of the lights. Especially the cluster. Time to troubleshoot the charge light circuit. Start by grounding the charge light wire to the alternator case. Turn on the key. You should have the dash light on. If not on use another ground like the valve cover. If it's still not on you need to test the wiring or replace a bad bulb. If the light comes on with another ground. You need to repair the ground wire for the alternator case.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #10
bobxyz
Board Member

It highly unlikely that a new radio could have caused battery/alternator problems, especially if the new radio is fused correctly. I'd be searching for a damaged +12volt/+Alt wire that's starting to short to ground. The alternator + wire wraps around the front of the block, by the crank pulley, then to the started. It can suffer from age/heat/oil/road debris damage.

Get a $10 cigarette lighter voltage gauge (amazon: usb car charger volt meter) to monitor voltage while driving. If you want to fast charge your phone, get the fancier $15 iphone rated version. On an old Volvo, voltage should be ~13.5 to ~14volts, and maybe a bit less when hot. On more modern cars, maybe ~14.5v. 12ish volts, or lower, means you're draining the battery and will eventually have problems starting.
bobxyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
Elvolvito
Board Member

So I just did a voltage test on the battery on the battery, it’s 12.30 with the car off & it drops down to around 12.00 when I start the car, meaning the alternator isn’t charging the battery whatsoever.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #12
Elvolvito
Board Member

What recommendations do you have from this point? Check all my grounds? Test the alternator?
Old 11-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #13
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

I did just suggest to test the charge light circuit. Your alternator won't charge without it working. Unless you rev the engine to around 4k rpms. Then it might self excite.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #14
Elvolvito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
I did just suggest to test the charge light circuit. Your alternator won't charge without it working. Unless you rev the engine to around 4k rpms. Then it might self excite.
Just did the test you suggested & the dash light didnít turn on whatsoever.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:34 PM   #15
Elvolvito
Board Member

I also performed a continuity test on the alt & every single + is giving out current.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #16
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

So you either have wiring issues typically where the wires pass through the alternator bracket and under the crankshaft pulley or the bulb in the dash is bad.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #17
Elvolvito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
So you either have wiring issues typically where the wires pass through the alternator bracket and under the crankshaft pulley or the bulb in the dash is bad.
So if the bulb isnít working, then the alt wonít charge?
Old 11-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #18
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

That is correct. Without the exciter circuit aka charging light. The alternator won't charge. The Bosch alternator can self excite if you rev them high enough but you can't count on that working every time.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:40 PM   #19
2 old for this
Board Member

Quick test for the system- turn key on light should come on.start engine light should go out. No glowing or flicking.turn key off light should come on as engine is stopping. System must pass all three test or you might be walking.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #20
johfraser
Board Member

Definitely fix/test the charging light circuit. Verify the alternator case is grounded to the chassis and engine block.
If you really want to know how much current you are drawing from the alternator use a clamp on ammeter. The more current you draw from the alternator the more torque it takes to turn it. You don't get that energy for free.
johfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #21
lummert
Board Member

Take a look at the crankshaft pulley. Is the outer ring slipping?
Old 11-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #22
Elvolvito
Board Member

Well gentlemen, mechanic said it’s just my alt. He even tried replacing the regulator & still nothing.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #23
Elvolvito
Board Member

Also, I forgot to mention that I took apart the dash & replaced the alt bulb & that didn’t do anything as well.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #24
rearwheelpeel
Board Member

I recently changed my engine wiring harness to a brand new one from Dave Barton. I have a digital voltage meter in my car that was previously registering between 13-14 volts and it was very irregular, constantly changing. With the new harness installed I’m at a solid 14.5 volts at idle with the lights off. Lights turned on it drops to 14.2-14.3. My alternator is the original 60 amp that came with the car and my battery is from a customer that insisted on a brand new one so I took hers…. If your electrical problem persists I would definitely check your wiring like others have mentioned.
rearwheelpeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #25
Elvolvito
Board Member

Update: swapped to my old overcharging alternator to see if the alt light would come up on the dash & it did. Proves it was just that ****ty remanufactured Remy alt was defective.