home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
Elvolvito
Board Member

Question Ď88 Volvo 244 Alternator Advice/Recommendations

I recently bought an alternator for my Ď88 244 & it came non-functional. Itís a Remy brand remanufactured alt & Iíll be returning it within a few days. With that being mentioned, what alternator would you fellow forum members recommend? I have this one currently on my watchlist & was wanting to know if it would be a good purchase? (https://www.ebay.com/itm/140-Amp-Vol...-127632-2357-0)

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
Fa182
Stage 1

Why do you need an alternator with such high amperage? Unless you have loads of accessories installed and really need it, that's way too much.

Are you sure everything else in the circuit is fine (grounds, exciter circuit etc.) before ruling out the alternator?
Old 11-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Elvolvito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa182 View Post
Why do you need an alternator with such high amperage? Unless you have loads of accessories installed and really need it, that's way too much.

Are you sure everything else in the circuit is fine (grounds, exciter circuit etc.) before ruling out the alternator?
Yes, everything else has been ruled out. Days of electrical testing & an alt bulb replacement has led me to the decision. As well as my mechanic also saying itís my alt. I tried replacing the regulator as well & it didnít change my situation. My previous thread explains the entire situation. I also wasnít really aware what having an alternator with more amps really means, does it put more strain on the electrical system?
Elvolvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

That's a fair price imo for a 140 amp alternator. The stock alternator is 80 amps for your car. With all the extra amperage you'll be able to run some extra lights and more accessories. If you want to afford it that's a good upgrade.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Pick-n-pull 940 100A Denso works pretty well, and is really cheap. If you can find one, that is.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
VolvoScout
Board Member

Would the + and - cables need to be upgraded to a larger gauge to support a 140 amp alternator?
VolvoScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
Elvolvito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoScout View Post
Would the + and - cables need to be upgraded to a larger gauge to support a 140 amp alternator?
Donít believe so judging by what the pictures demonstrate.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

The need for upgrading the cables is based on what accessories you plan on adding to the original current load. If you are going to add a lot of high power stuff then yes upgrade those cables. If you aren't going to add much you'll be fine.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #9
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Pick-n-pull 940 100A Denso works pretty well, and is really cheap. If you can find one, that is.
I got one for $20 from the local yard. It worked great.
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
bobxyz
Board Member

The big cables directly off the battery to the starter/engine are already sized to start the car (hundreds of amps). If you really have 140Amps of accessories (efan, search lights, A/C, earthquake stereo, arc welder), you might want to upgrade the smaller battery+ to junction box cable, the alternator-to-starter + cable, and the short alternator- to ground cable. They're probably ~10 gauge now, and going to 8 gauge would keep the voltage drop under a volt. Just make sure you crimp them really well.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:17 PM   #11
Elvolvito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
The big cables directly off the battery to the starter/engine are already sized to start the car (hundreds of amps). If you really have 140Amps of accessories (efan, search lights, A/C, earthquake stereo, arc welder), you might want to upgrade the smaller battery+ to junction box cable, the alternator-to-starter + cable, and the short alternator- to ground cable. They're probably ~10 gauge now, and going to 8 gauge would keep the voltage drop under a volt. Just make sure you crimp them really well.
I donít even have 140amps worth of accessories currently. I just figured it wouldnít be a bad investment to have all that extra power in case I wanted to add some decent speakers & a light bar in the future.