home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
noz-e8tr
Board Member

Default 93 940 N/A (Rex/Regina) Very Rich at Idle

Help me....I'm running out of ideas.
This is a N/A Rex/Regina, so we are looing at an air intake temp sensor and MAP sensor. No MAF Sensor. At idle its sickly rich. If I idle for 5+ minutes it starts to load up like a carbed car dumping fuel. It starts to stumble and I have to put it in neutral and rev to clear it out. The gas smell from the exhaust has every one hating me. Here is what has been done.

New O2 Sensor
New MAP Sensor
New Intake Air Temp sensor
New ECU Temp sensor
New Injectors (reconditioned)
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
I've verified correct vacuum at idle to make sure exhaust is not clogged (will mess up a map sensor reading)
I adjusted Throttle Position sensor (but have not replaced it)

My MPG is 20-22 in town, so it seems to predominantly be at idle. Idle does bounce around slightly as if a small vac leak is present, but I have yet to find it (could also be a result of inconsistent fuel). Usually a vac leak in the MAP will cause them to run lean unless the leak is on the MAP circuit...it is not. I'm throwing no check engine codes either.

Not sure if this one has a cold start injector. But that is what I'm checking next. Perhaps the injector is leaking a bit. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm really running out of them myself.
1993 945 n/a slow as caca.

Berserker 242 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
This subculture is not conducive to meeting women let alone inspiring them to drive 30 year old, rectilinear, underpowered shit boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Disney
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

Last edited by noz-e8tr; 11-22-2021 at 07:04 PM..
noz-e8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
oldnfast
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz-e8tr View Post
Help me....I'm running out of ideas.
This is a N/A Rex/Regina, so we are looing at an air intake temp sensor and MAP sensor. No MAF Sensor. At idle its sickly rich. If I idle for 5+ minutes it starts to load up like a carbed car dumping fuel. It starts to stumble and I have to put it in neutral and rev to clear it out. The gas smell from the exhaust has every one hating me. Here is what has been done.

New O2 Sensor
New MAP Sensor
New Intake Air Temp sensor
New ECU Temp sensor
New Injectors (reconditioned)
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
I've verified correct vacuum at idle to make sure exhaust is not clogged (will mess up a map sensor reading)
I adjusted Throttle Position sensor (but have not replaced it)

My MPG is 20-22 in town, so it seems to predominantly be at idle. Idle does bounce around slightly as if a small vac leak is present, but I have yet to find it (could also be a result of inconsistent fuel). Usually a vac leak in the MAP will cause them to run lean unless the leak is on the MAP circuit...it is not. I'm throwing no check engine codes either.

Not sure if this one has a cold start injector. But that is what I'm checking next. Perhaps the injector is leaking a bit. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm really running out of them myself.
I believe Volvo has a TSB to eliminate the cold start valve on the Regina. I just looked quick but couldn’t find it. Maybe on brickboard, I’ll keep looking
oldnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
dl242gt
My car is fun hp club

I would double check that the O2 sensor is the correct Rex/Regina type. Also measure the coolant temp sensor at cold, warm, and hot temps to make sure it's working properly. I once encountered a coolant temp sensor that went open circuit when the engine warmed up caused super rich running. Didn't set any codes.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 435k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
sbabbs
Board Member

Weak link is usually the fuel pump. Only one on those and it is in the tank...
1995 940 White racing wagoon. 13c m90 to put in
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

If none of the new parts made any difference, were they all OEM supplier parts?

Doesn't seem likely the fuel pump would cause a rich at idle symptom, though.

Leaking CS valve could load it up at idle.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
bobxyz
Board Member

Have you checked the plug wires and plugs? Do the plugs look equally awful?

You can still find the TP31903/1 Regina greenbook (partial copy) via the Internet Wayback Machine (e.g. link)

Some of the sensor measurements, especially if measured from the Regina connector, would help rule out bad sensors/wiring.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote