home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
dandeluca
Board Member

Default Is it worth bench testing m46 with overdrive for OD operation?

Just looking for some opinions here. I have a m46 with OD I acquired for a swap. It was sitting in someones basement. Turns by hand easily drops into gear just fine. No obvious damage when looking through the top.

I was considering somehow hooking it up to an electric motor to spin it up and see if overdrive engages. Part of me whats to see what will happen before I spend $$$ more on machined flywheels, clutch kits and what not.

Another part of me says thats a lot of work and it might not really tell me that much.

What would you do?
dandeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
2 old for this
Board Member

Please make a video.
2 old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
VolvoScout
Board Member

It's absolutely worth testing before installing into the car (speaking as someone who's installed an OD only to realize that it didn't work)

This is how I tested:
Attach a corded power drill to the input shaft of the transmission via a short length of heater hose and hose clamps.
Open the top cover and pour the spec quantity of ATF type F, then close top cover.
Remove the test port plug on the OD and install gauge.
Set the transmission to 4th gear
Use drill to to spin-up transmission and check for residual pressure.
Engage OD by connecting solenoid to battery and check operating pressure.

A larger motor can be used to run the OD for several hours to test for temperature, slipping, etc... (Good idea if redoing all of the gaskets. My ATF got to about 165-170F after a few hours)
The motor will most likely have to somehow be attached to the transmission via a pulley system.
When connected directly to the input shaft, the 1800rpm motor I purchased from Harbor Freight would stall out when the OD was engaged.

The gauge can by purchased here: http://www.geocities.ws/jholekamp/

While the overdrive is out of the car, it may be worth replacing the valve seals, springs and shims.

I'll be making a video on rebuilding and testing the J Type Overdrive within the next few months. (Hopefully)

Last edited by VolvoScout; 11-22-2021 at 10:15 PM..
VolvoScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
dandeluca
Board Member

I have a couple questions, the OD would stall out the direct drive on a 1HP Harbor freight motor?

I have a 1/4 HP electric motor, I probably could hook up a pulley, but seems like I would need something a bit larger to do this successfully.

My second question is proper rotation. If I am looking at the transmission at the input shaft, should I spin that clockwise?
Old 11-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #5
tintintin
Board Member

Clockwise as when looking at it from the front. Same as engine rotation.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:26 PM   #6
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

You'd have to get it spinning pretty good to get the excentric cam on the pump going enough to develop the couple hundred pounds of pressure needed to activate and hold it in OD.

Personally I'd put it together and see how it is because it's not a terrible job to remove the OD unit for service.

Usually it's the O rings which can be changed with the OD in situ.

In fact it's probably wise to change them anyway before installing.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

It never occured to me to test it, I just put them in and I suppose I have been lucky

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #8
283SD
Board Member

I got a O/D tester from a trans shop years ago that closed, never used it. I ended up selling it to a guy that rebuilt trans and O/D units. I have rebuilt many O/D units, but they were out of the car.
283SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
dandeluca
Board Member

I was pretty keen on bench testing the overdrive, but it seems I need a pretty serious rig to really do it. $150 for a decent electric motor $65 for a pressure gauge and plus all the time to set it up and run it.

All the little costs on this manual swap are adding up. (Such as finding someone to machine timing marks into my flat flywheel.)

Since I can always drop the OD and rebuild it if it does not work I think I am going to clean it out and replace some of the o-rings and take my chances.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
OttoB
Board Member

I saw a test rig for M46 and M41 when visiting Volvo at Köping. It was basically a electric motor and pressure gauge. In my total noobness it didn't take any pictures of details.

And picture of whole assembly is lost.
OttoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #11
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeluca View Post
I was pretty keen on bench testing the overdrive, but it seems I need a pretty serious rig to really do it. $150 for a decent electric motor $65 for a pressure gauge and plus all the time to set it up and run it.

All the little costs on this manual swap are adding up. (Such as finding someone to machine timing marks into my flat flywheel.)

Since I can always drop the OD and rebuild it if it does not work I think I am going to clean it out and replace some of the o-rings and take my chances.
STS machining will machine flywheel. Send them a message or email. Takes about a month to receive.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote