home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Thumbs up 25mm Spacers for 91 240

I wanted to install the 25mm spacers from IPDUSA.

So the reason for the spacers is so you can use a later model deeper offset rim on a inboard spindle. A stock rim is let's say 4.5" back space..and a more modern rim maybe 5.5" back space...the 25mm (about 1 inch) is used to make up that difference....

My purpose for using the spacer is not this purpose. I want to be able have the tire be closer to outside fender for better handling & performance as well as appearance.

My question(s) Has anyone with a 240 used these with a 14x6 rim. Volvo wheel part # OW70172? Have you experienced any wheel / fender rubbing?

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1152...lvo-Ipd-125006

Thank you ����
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

I wouldn't run that wheel with a 25mm spacer. If you want something slightly out try a 15mm spacer.

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/...-wheel-spacers

a 25mm spacer will give you a -5 offset which is not great for you scrub radius. Sometimes you need to run that setup if you have really wide wheels but if you are running super skinny stock bois, there's no point to ruining the front steering.
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Should be fine with some 185-70-14s.
__________________
Raise The Lowered


Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?


Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

Thank you for response. I am trying to get an understanding if it will rub with 205/70/r14 tires? This car is not a daily driver. Maybe a bi monthly take a 15 mile driver. The suspension parts on this VOLVO have all been replaced. I must say the suspension parts are very reasonable in cost



Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I wouldn't run that wheel with a 25mm spacer. If you want something slightly out try a 15mm spacer.

https://www.bneshop.com/collections/...-wheel-spacers

a 25mm spacer will give you a -5 offset which is not great for you scrub radius. Sometimes you need to run that setup if you have really wide wheels but if you are running super skinny stock bois, there's no point to ruining the front steering.
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #5
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

The wheel allows for a max tire size of 205/70. Do you know if the tire would rub on steering or rear tracking? Thank you ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Should be fine with some 185-70-14s.

Last edited by Rlover; 11-26-2021 at 11:07 AM..
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #6
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?
 
Marvelous3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta
Default

Most respectfully, if you’re going to go through the effort of wheel spacers and such to run different wheels, why would you opt for 14” wheels? There are a plethora of 17-19” Volvo wheels available and more if your spacers convert into a Nissan or Toyota bolt pattern. Then there is the quality of tires available in bigger diameters.

There were some very reasonably priced propus c’s in the for sale section a couple weeks ago that would fit the bill very nicely.
__________________

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
white855T
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
Most respectfully, if youíre going to go through the effort of wheel spacers and such to run different wheels, why would you opt for 14Ē wheels? There are a plethora of 17-19Ē Volvo wheels available and more if your spacers convert into a Nissan or Toyota bolt pattern. Then there is the quality of tires available in bigger diameters.

There were some very reasonably priced propus cís in the for sale section a couple weeks ago that would fit the bill very nicely.
17 would be the biggest you want to go. Otherwise it's going to look like a donk.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
leecatd8209
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: South Texas
Default

I've got this.

Here is a 240 on IPD lowering springs with 14x5.5 et20 stock steel wheels WITH 25mm spacers:



The fronts haven't rubbed at all, but here's the clearance on the rear:



Here is the difference in specs between stock tires and steel wheels and 205s on classic mesh wheels:



So 205s on the mesh wheels will stick out towards the rear arch another 6mms.

There's probably room, but on big balloon tires it's not doing the look any favors, and when you go to smaller sidewalls it just invites a bunch of wheel gap. It's more than likely going to end up tearing up tires and messing up my wheel arches and I'm gonna regret leaving the spacers after swapping wheels. Also as mentioned the steering is a bit wonky especially at low speeds and higher angles.

I would spend your $200 elsewhere.
leecatd8209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #9
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Thumbs up

I greatly appreciate your time in taking pictures and sharing 1st hand experience. 👍👋
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

Thanks Again 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecatd8209 View Post
I've got this.

Here is a 240 on IPD lowering springs with 14x5.5 et20 stock steel wheels WITH 25mm spacers:



The fronts haven't rubbed at all, but here's the clearance on the rear:



Here is the difference in specs between stock tires and steel wheels and 205s on classic mesh wheels:



So 205s on the mesh wheels will stick out towards the rear arch another 6mms.

There's probably room, but on big balloon tires it's not doing the look any favors, and when you go to smaller sidewalls it just invites a bunch of wheel gap. It's more than likely going to end up tearing up tires and messing up my wheel arches and I'm gonna regret leaving the spacers after swapping wheels. Also as mentioned the steering is a bit wonky especially at low speeds and higher angles.

I would spend your $200 elsewhere.
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #11
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

Good insight. I really like these original stock rims that became available in 91. Was hoping the spacers would give the appearance of a 225 tire. But based upon the feed back here these are going back to IPDUSA unopened.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
Most respectfully, if youíre going to go through the effort of wheel spacers and such to run different wheels, why would you opt for 14Ē wheels? There are a plethora of 17-19Ē Volvo wheels available and more if your spacers convert into a Nissan or Toyota bolt pattern. Then there is the quality of tires available in bigger diameters.

There were some very reasonably priced propus cís in the for sale section a couple weeks ago that would fit the bill very nicely.
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
leecatd8209
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlover View Post
Good insight. I really like these original stock rims that became available in 91. Was hoping the spacers would give the appearance of a 225 tire. But based upon the feed back here these are going back to IPDUSA unopened.
If you already have them keep them and shop for bigger/better wheels
leecatd8209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:02 AM   #13
Otto Mattik
board member
 
Otto Mattik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Upper Midwest more or less
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecatd8209 View Post
I've got this.

Here is a 240 on IPD lowering springs with 14x5.5 et20 stock steel wheels WITH 25mm spacers:



The fronts haven't rubbed at all, but here's the clearance on the rear:




.

leecatd ..so that is 185/70 14's lowered w/ 25mm spacers ?
Curious if you had rubbing in rear(a bit tricky to tell), thanks in advance

__________________
Desperate need of elf assistant for interior work - Cash/Beer option $


Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=323689
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #14
leecatd8209
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Mattik View Post
leecatd ..so that is 185/70 14's lowered w/ 25mm spacers ?
Curious if you had rubbing in rear(a bit tricky to tell), thanks in advance

It hasn't rubbed yet but everything on my car is new or recently replaced. Springs, bilstein tourings, sperical TABs, heim joint panhard bar, poly bushes, she's really tight. I also only drive it to work on the same arrow straight pretty smooth roads, so the suspension isn't being exercised much.

It looks a little close for my tastes, and I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time until I tear up a tire.
leecatd8209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #15
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

I like the stock wheels for this build. Itís a restoration build so the buyer is going to not like what I put on probably?


Quote:
Originally Posted by leecatd8209 View Post
If you already have them keep them and shop for bigger/better wheels
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #16
Rlover
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Default

Itís a restoration build so the buyer is going to not like what I put on probably for wheels? So if they want big rims which would look great. Haha. Canít imagine how much slower this car can get than add bigger tires. Lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by leecatd8209 View Post
If you already have them keep them and shop for bigger/better wheels
Rlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #17
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life
 
Redwood Chair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: - Stock PSI Or Bust -
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlover View Post
Itís a restoration build so the buyer is going to not like what I put on probably for wheels? So if they want big rims which would look great. Haha. Canít imagine how much slower this car can get than add bigger tires. Lol
'Restoration' is a relitave term with these cars.

Lots of things are simply unavailable, so unless you have a true time capsule / garage queen it's not happening.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.