• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 93 power steering hard lines x 2 replacement help

sendmmail66

One of the two lines burst because of rust. PO didn't use belly pan so now I have pleasure of replacing them. Car was in Illinois in the salt since 93.

I cannot find the replacement hard Lines. They look the same as brake hard lines. They look flared on both ends unlike the replacement hard lines I am able to find on all the parts catalogs, those have rubber banjo bolts on one side. My question is, does anyone know where I can find the hard lines? If not, does anyone know what kind of tubing the lines are, maybe I can bend them into place?

If all else fails and I cannot find a replacement line, does anyone know the metal hard line dimension i can substitute? perhaps they can be welded over or patched and some creative way as a fix if all else fails. This is assuming I can find where the line rusted through.

Shortened version: my 93 has 2 hard lines for PS. Need replacements but cannot find. They are flared on both sides unlike ones I find for sale. Should I custom make lines? What kind of line can be used?

Also, even if I got the replacement parts, I see no way of replacing the lines, as in removing them, without removing the inner and outer tie rods to the give me room. If anyone has any experience with removal of them that would also be appreciated

If you're talking about the lines on the rack itself, just get a new/used rack. It will be cheaper and easier than trying to source/repair the lines.

Depending on where you are, you can get a rust free rack for $60 at the PnP, and if you're lucky, it will have good rods and ends already attached.

Yes, the lines on the rack itself. I'm kind of intimidated by removing the rack, I remember in my 850 cars that I worked on it was very hard to remove the power steering rack. The biggest thing I don't understand is how to remove it from the steering column. Looks like I have some reading to do.

So the lines are not replaceable usually? I don't have a pick and pull here. I can't just buy a section of hose and a bubble flaring tool?

Yes, the lines on the rack itself. I'm kind of intimidated by removing the rack, I remember in my 850 cars that I worked on it was very hard to remove the power steering rack. The biggest thing I don't understand is how to remove it from the steering column. Looks like I have some reading to do.

So the lines are not replaceable usually? I don't have a pick and pull here. I can't just buy a section of hose and a bubble flaring tool?

Removing the rack is pretty easy in a 240, I can pull one in less than an hour. There's a cross bolt that secures the steering knuckle to the rack input. From the sounds of it, replacing the rack would be your best option.

Just snip the lines and undo their fittings and replace the lines, no biggie if the rack works otherwise.

The rack does work well. I need to check if I have a cam rack. By replace the lines, does your offer still stand for your lines or do you know what kind of line to use (generic bulk metal line)

I removed a dust boot and out came pouring oil. Weird thing is, I have never seen clear power steering fluid. Hope someone didn't put in gear oil by accident. Has anyone seen clear fluid in PS?

Either way, need a new rack. Removal looks straightforward, I am just unsure which part of the u joint to remove to get the steering column separated from the rack. Edit: found a nice video about removal of the u joint.https://youtu.be/Nvtq6nLR1Zs

Still wondering if anyone has seen clear power steering fluid

Last edited:
Removal looks straightforward, I am just unsure which part of the u joint to remove to get the steering column separated from the rack.

I suggest you remove the lock bolt from the lower u-joint bottom connection to the splines of the rack's pinion (remove it completely) and then use a sharpened screwdriver or like tool to slightly spread the alloy at the sawn slot to make it easier to withdraw the pinion shaft. Most would recommend disconnecting the battery before pounding on the steering shaft of your SRS vehicle, but ... in actuality the crash sensor is in the floor and not enabled with the ignition switch off. :)

Yes, I have lots of clear PS fluid ...

I am in the same predicament (92-240) Shorter hose rusted through. I've contacted dealer, FCP, IPD, Strandbergs (WI) and Voluparts (GA). Appears these lines are now unobtainium.

The fittings are not a traditional flare, but a machined cylindrical fit with an O-ring.

Does anyone know what size these fittings are such that I can make one?

Anyone fabricated something to work?

Appreciate any help/suggestions,

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/yWmkDF67QJVi

Last edited:
I am in the same predicament (92-240) Shorter hose rusted through. I've contacted dealer, FCP, IPD, Strandbergs (WI) and Voluparts (GA). Appears these lines are now unobtainium.

The fittings are not a traditional flare, but a machined cylindrical fit with an O-ring.

Does anyone know what size these fittings are such that I can make one?

Anyone fabricated something to work?

Appreciate any help/suggestions,

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/yWmkDF67QJVi
Hi - I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?

Finding the lines from a non rusty rack is pretty much the easiest option. Somewhere out there people have junk racks sitting on a shelf.

Back