• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

Any wheelie videos yet?

LOL nope not yet. I did change some stuff up in the front suspension to get two more inches of droop travel, should help with weight transfer as my struts were topping out previously. My injectors are at a friends shop getting flow tested. After some discussion over on ls1tech I am also confident that my single fuel pump was past it's limit when I turned the boost up. So I have begun the process to add a second pump in the tank. We shredded a subaru at my work for another vanagon swap, the subaru tank had a really nice pump access port so I cut it out and I am going to weld it in the volvo tank. That should let two 400 walbros and the sending unit fit easily. I was suprised to see the price of those pumps have come way down to as low as 130 bucks, I hope they are not all knockoffs?? Anybody heard of those being copied like the 255's

Hopefully not. I was real careful when I was purchasing a 255 for a project a while back. Those fakes are horrible. Sound like a bunch of rocks in a metal tube. Just be careful and purchase from a good source. Shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe just order it from a place that you can actually talk to someone, and if they sound trustable and know about knock offs, you probably will have better luck

Maybe just order it from a place that you can actually talk to someone, and if they sound trustable and know about knock offs, you probably will have better luck

Yeah, I've actually been considering the aem e85 pump as a secondary. Not really much cheaper but smaller and wont draw as much amperage.

Got the front all back together, I think it has plenty droop now! Can't wait to get everything done and test it all out.

Thats smart / and nice. Does the assembly bottom out or sit to high?

The stock hanger will not work as is, subaru sets the pump at a 45 degree angle. I'm just using the top plate and welding on my own hanger and outgoing line. The return line will work though so I'm probably going to keep that.

Worked on the pumps today and got it most of the way done. Just need to put the tank back in and wire everything up. My Megasquirt is out of outputs so I'm just going to use a simple hobbs switch to activate the second pump.

I actually have a guy that is serious about buying the car but either way this needed to be done. I'm going to swap in some deka 80 pound injectors too and get in a quick dyno session to make sure everything is perfect. If this deal goes through I'm going to be on the hunt for a cheap 142 shell. I want to basically do the same drive train but way more serious tire/suspension/turbo/weight. Instead of racing a streetcar I want to street drive a racecar.

What kind of feed hose is that?

It's actually a delphi part. Racetronix sells them in several lengths, although I only found one with an inside diameter big enough to fit the larger 400 outlet. I did tons of reading about submersible high pressure hose that is rated for e85. It does exist but it's expensive. The plastic style feed tube I used is what gm uses in the flex fuel cars and they were like 3 bucks each so it seemed like a better choice.

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Cc=TUBE-03&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Here is the finished product. Got it back up and running today, swapped out my subaru injectors for some deka 80 pounders. Need to get the tune dialed back in but it nice to have it running again.

Well, today was a sad day for me. I finally sold the car and it's on it's way to Colorado. Not something I really wanted to do as it's faster than it's ever been but it was the right thing for me to do financially. I was contacted by the new owner on LS1 tech a couple months ago, he wanted to buy it but I wasn't done with the upgrades and he didn't have all the money. Everything finally worked out and we made the deal. I hope he has as much fun in it as I have. By far the best car I have ever built, regardless of budget, it just worked and everybody loved it.

I do have full intentions of building a replacement though. I am set on a 142, if anybody has a line on a good one please let me know. I only need a body, drivetrain/sespension/brakes are of no use to me.

Couple goodbye pics.

Glad you are making room for another project. That's cool. Be watching for it.
Will miss this thread. Thanks for the ride!

Back