• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone flock the dash in their 240?

sheepbleat

I?m getting tired of my carpet dash cover, so I?m thinking of repairing the cracks in the dash and flocking it.

I feel like this is a look I usually see embraced in the JDM scene, but less in the land of the brick. Anyone here done it? Got pics of the results?

The Full Banana Flocked his dash I believe.

I actually ordered a kit for mine last week. I repaired the cracks over the weekend. Need to sand them down in preparation of the kit arriving.

The Full Banana Flocked his dash I believe.

I actually ordered a kit for mine last week. I repaired the cracks over the weekend. Need to sand them down in preparation of the kit arriving.

Perfect. Found his project thread. Looks great. Guess I just need to psych myself up on removing the dash and repairing the cracks first.

Best of luck with yours. Excited to see how it turns out.

No dash cap option?
12963.jpg

Flocking looks sweet, and works well (the Porsche factory used flocking on it's dashboards forever). I covered my dash in microsuede, and even though it came out good, I'll still probably flock the dash next time around. If you do recover, the trick is to have strong hands and a lot of patience!

Flocking looks sweet, and works well (the Porsche factory used flocking on it's dashboards forever). I covered my dash in microsuede, and even though it came out good, I'll still probably flock the dash next time around. If you do recover, the trick is to have strong hands and a lot of patience!

All good to know. I?m assuming Porsche used the electrostatic method instead of the DIY glue ?n? spray, but the latter?s good enough for me. Recovering sounds like a pile of work.

I have flocked several 240 and BMW dashes using the FlockIt! kit by DonJer I believe is the name.

It works super easy. My 240 dashes were both well cracked, so I honestly just bondo'ed the cracks, sanded it all down smooth and than put lots of the adhesive on and shot it with the little flocking tool they give you.

All 3 I have done have held up great thus far

I have flocked several 240 and BMW dashes using the FlockIt! kit by DonJer I believe is the name.

It works super easy. My 240 dashes were both well cracked, so I honestly just bondo'ed the cracks, sanded it all down smooth and than put lots of the adhesive on and shot it with the little flocking tool they give you.

This. Is. Dope.

DonJer is the exact kit I?ve been looking at. Psyched to hear it holds up well. These pics look way better than I was expecting for results.

How do you get the flock to stand on end with their kit? When I flock GI Joe heads, it's in a electrostatic booth - the charge causes the flock to stand up

D03-F6248-AFA7-4-EC7-8-E33-8-AF1-D11-BF6-A2.jpg

How do you get the flock to stand on end with their kit? When I flock GI Joe heads, it's in a electrostatic booth - the charge causes the flock to stand up

D03-F6248-AFA7-4-EC7-8-E33-8-AF1-D11-BF6-A2.jpg

I never got that far into it - I just followed the directions it had, once the adhesive was dry I lightly blew the remnants off. It doesnt stand up nearly as much as those doll heads, but its got a nice feel to it.

I used the same FlockIt kit Pat mentioned and it has been shockingly durable. Put it on 4-5 years ago and it still looks excellent. As Pat also said, a bristle attachment on a vacuum works great to it up. I hung the dash vertically from the ceiling to do the application and it was very simple, you can't really over-apply the flocking since you're saturating the glue and any excess can be vacuumed off when the adhesive is cured.

Since you're just blasting it onto the glue with the cardboard applicator tube it won't stand up like those doll heads. You need a specific electrostatic flocking applicator for that to happen. Even still, the texture is quite even and it looks and feels great.

This thread delivers on so many levels

Pat your dashes look so excellent

Patiently waiting on the a to nel’s q lol

Back