• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Differences between EGR and non EGR header pipes

OVERDRIVE

I need to replace the header pipe on my 1990 240 sedan with EGR, vin 416841. From Volvo there are 2 part numbers listed for the header pipe on a 1990 240. 31372162 (superseded by 3536202?) and 31372170 which is listed for non EGR and has the fixed flat cat flange. I have the swivel donut flange and o2 in the cat, so the -162 PN looks correct but it is listed everywhere as non EGR. I don't want the DEC brand one listed on IPD, that is the one I have now and I am not impressed by its quality, and the Swedish Car Parts one is twice the price of an oe one and honestly, I just want a factory Volvo piece. I can't imagine there are that many variants of an exhaust pipe. The flange for the manifold is the same piece and orientation, and the PN for the donut gasket is shared with everything. The only variable that I can think of is total length, since I won't need an o2 port and I need the swivel flange. Surely someone has experience?

The only difference I know of in the late model cars is to be sure to match up the type of flange for the converter. Cars with EGR use a port in the exhaust manifold and there isn't anything about the downpipe or front pipe that uses the EGR for anything. So, just be sure the flanges match up and you should be fine.

Welp I got my 162 header pipe, Volvo brand, swivel flange with donut gasket. There are 2 differences stopping me from using a “non egr” header pipe. The non egr pipe is 2 inches longer, and the bolt pattern for the swivel flange is only slightly smaller. I don’t know why Volvo had to complicate things so much. So now everything is going back together and I’m going to have to return this headerpipe.

What cat does your car have on it? The assumption I made was that your car has the correct cat for an EGR 240. The down pipe and cat type have to match. The cat for an EGR 240 is almost identical to the cat used on a 740/940. It is wide and only about 4' thick and uses a ball flange connection to the header pipe. The foot ball shaped cat with a flat flange and gasket is what is used on a non-EGR 240.

That was my initial thought, that the cat and header pipe have to match. But then there are 2 flange styles? Anyways. I have the EGR cat, and even though both are swivel flange they don’t go together.

That is really strange. I have not run into two different sizes of ball flange on a 240. I may have a good condition used 240 ball flange down pipe at my shop.

When I say flange, I mean the 3 bolts that clamp the cat and header. The EGR flange has a larger bolt circle diameter by maybe 5-10mm than the non EGR flange. It’s enough to no allow anything to go together. The donut gasket itself is the same for both. I have it all back together the way it was and I’ve sealed up exhaust leak a little better, but now I see that there’s a crack before the rear muffler. So maybe a more thorough exhaust job is needed. And one of my accessories has a bearing going out. And the piston slap when cold. It’s a noisy ol girl.

Back