• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What have you modernized on your old Volvo?

isaac

The Isaac
I remember when I had my 83 245DL, and I'd ride in an 850 or V/S70 at a TB meet, I really always wanted all creature comforts they had, minus damn near everything else about them.

The big one I remember wanting was more interior lights, since the single dome in 240s is pretty weak and really dates the car. But there are other things. A quick short list:

1) Cruise control

2) Keyless entry (even my V70 with missing fob lacks that)

3) MPG gauge

4) V70 or BMW style onboard computer with various calculations (could include MPG gauge)

5) Lockup torque convertor (for 240s)

What have you added or seen in an old Volvo? Any other things (attainable) that you'd do to your car? Why haven't you done it?

auto dimming/ outside temp/ compass mirror

That actually seems like something you could just plain rip off another car (if you could find and rewire the temperature probe if it doesn't have a module somewhere else). That's a damn good idea. The question is which car has the simplest rearview mirror temp guage setup.

That actually seems like something you could just plain rip off another car (if you could find and rewire the temperature probe if it doesn't have a module somewhere else). That's a damn good idea. The question is which car has the simplest rearview mirror temp guage setup.

Impolvo has a setup like that in one of his 740s.

I put a tach in there instead of a dead quartz clock. I'm only assuming that volvo put the clock in there instead of a tach in 86 because they lacked the technology to count rotations and time concurrently in 1986. Fortunately this technology has been developed since then.

I also put in a CR-712 Cassette Radio which is from two model years newer than my 240.

Last edited:
If by modernization you mean improved technology (and not just more unnecessary electronic items that will break over time), then ditching Kjet for MS is by far the best thing I've done. Amazing how well the old redblock runs with proper injection & ignition.

I went the wrong way with my interior and put in seats and carpets from a garaged '88 760, but I've upgraded the steel sunroof to the glass moonroof that I got from llama's 16V Envy. The big upgrades are the '93 squirter block and the '94 1041 LSD rear axle. My aim is to make as many changes as possible without it looking like I did anything, so there really aren't that many upgrades that you can see.

Modernizing my 242 has been my favorite thing to do for a couple decades now. Those little touches are nice to have, but somehow its especially nice to hear someone talking about some feature their new car has and think "yeah, so does my 1981 Volvo".

Some of my favorite updates:
Digital ambient temperature gauge with cabin temperature switch
Side turn signal repeaters
Heated power side mirrors for those frosty foggy mornings
Heated seats for making dating so much easier.
Third brake light (just peace of mind really)
LED bulbs in the dome light/trunk light/hood light make those 80s lamps work again.
Cupholder armrest for long trip convenience.
tinted sunshade behind the rearview mirror for those evenings I'm driving into the sun.
Electric antenna with switch control (wouldn't be so cool if I had satellite radio)
Updated idiot light gels in the instrument cluster. Its such a small and silly thing, but somehow the new ones without the white printing on them make the instruments look cleaner and more modern.
Lighted window switches
Adjustable intermittent wiper relay

I need to get around to installing that electric sunroof motor...
I'd like to have a good ipod charging and playing solution for the stock radio (new radios just look wrong in a 240)

Last edited:
(new radios just look wrong in a 240)

I agree with this but after messing around with something like 15 original radios they suck....... I even have the microprocessor one (top of the line)

the chanels gets messed up *fixed a few
the casette usually does not work - only with tape to mini jack adapter
there is no power out of them so you need to run amps (and factory ones suck)
most of the time the antenna reception isnt as good (when traveling its a pain to find stations all the time)

I went back to my modern one 2 weeks ago

I resoldered all 500 some odd connections on my CR-712 before installing it. The right speaker sounded amazing for the three days it worked. Apparently the AMP outputs still work fine though.

Now I have the AMP outputs wired into a slimline Clarion EQ (EQS764) inline with a JL 4 Channel (which is hidden underneath the glovebox). So now I can listen to tapes, AM and FM through the factory radio, and plug in my ipod through the EQ and have it all play through a JL 360W amp, JL TR speakers, and a rockford sub and amp combo (hidden in the buttcheek).

^ I fixed the volume going in and out of (see below) worked great in tape adapter but I cant figure out why the radio reception is so bad. This thing is more crammed than an indian cross country train. Took it all apart too :roll:

3uki.jpg

3.2 liter PRV six with engine management that learns...
Accessory drive that features (count 'em!) ONE drive belt with a Quiet A/C compressor.

16" tires that are tall enough to have some sidewall such that I don't get abused by every zit in the road.

Late model 240 outside mirrors.

Always more to do!

Bumpers, all external trim, dash, CD player, remote central locking, EMS, suspension bushing material, brake pad compound, the paint (it's a more modern 2-pack than the original) ... I think that's about it.

Back