• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230R build

I know those words but arranged together that particular fashion they have no meaning to me.

His boost control issues isn?t what killed his motor. He could have boost problems because he doesn?t have enough wastegate flow, the wastegate port is too small in the turbine housing, etc.

Yanking all the fuel out of a motor that is likely detonating from too much timing is not going to solve his problem.

Indeed. I?m not sure how there is confusion here?

The last thing I?d want to do in this situation is pull fuel out. The solution to most - probably all - overboost/run away boost is to kill the spark. I have a setting for that in tunerstudio actually?

so the lh 2.2 method of cutting the fuel pump off in an overboost situation (at least, digging deep into the wayback machine I recall that's how it worked..) is not as desireable as a spark cut (or a cut everything) method implemented at the ecu level, and it doesn't take much to figure out why.. cutting off the pump leaves dropping pressure in the system when it really probably ought not lean out. this was somewhat assuaged with lh 2.4's maf based fuel cut (basically, above a certain airflow reading it's considered as being in overboost, and cuts the injectors off until the timer counts down), this is better than the turn off the pump method of lh 2.2.

I'm partial to cutting both fuel and ignition in an overboost situation, it doesn't leave much to happen. but sometimes you gotta work with what ya got, and there's plenty of us that adjusted the pressure switch or bypassed it entirely back in the day (myself included. or just didn't hook the vacuum line up to it, whichever)

.... this was somewhat assuaged with lh 2.4's maf based fuel cut (basically, above a certain airflow reading it's considered as being in overboost, and cuts the injectors off until the timer counts down), this is better than the turn off the pump method of lh 2.2......

In short this means it did a much faster job of denying the fuel to the over boosted system..... The theme is crystal clear in either fuel system. It was never about delivering less fuel to create and evermore lean situation in an over boosted situation but instead no fuel at all. What can I say marvelous? Im a total dumbass. It should have been crystal clear to me that the European engineers from bosch that came up with these ideas are really ignorant as hell and should have there asses kicked for all the volvo and saab pistons they cracked. :grrr:

Installing the new solenoid is also not a failsafe its a fail fix. No slight to Bloody or anyone here but we already busted the ass of cars faster than the vw and never cracked a OEM turbo piston or bent a factory rod doing it. It was all done with a vr distributor oil filled coil and a bunch of "old factory sht that doesn't work" now. My intact and still replaced mahles sitting on the shelf can live with this idea :nod: Im also one that thinks with h beams and a halltech 1500 why wouldn't one go with forged pistons implement water injection and tune for the >20 zone anyway :wtf: There should be a point to some arguments but a lot of times for me its not. However there will surely be more...:roll: The main theme here from me was install some type of fails safe not argue about things we've already done successfully so all that was lost and it was the real point.

Last edited:
I have 2 Adjustable Boost switches one for Water meth and one that cuts all boost so it only runs on WG spring

so the lh 2.2 method of cutting the fuel pump off in an overboost situation (at least, digging deep into the wayback machine I recall that's how it worked..) is not as desireable as a spark cut (or a cut everything) method implemented at the ecu level, and it doesn't take much to figure out why.. cutting off the pump leaves dropping pressure in the system when it really probably ought not lean out. this was somewhat assuaged with lh 2.4's maf based fuel cut (basically, above a certain airflow reading it's considered as being in overboost, and cuts the injectors off until the timer counts down), this is better than the turn off the pump method of lh 2.2.

I'm partial to cutting both fuel and ignition in an overboost situation, it doesn't leave much to happen. but sometimes you gotta work with what ya got, and there's plenty of us that adjusted the pressure switch or bypassed it entirely back in the day (myself included. or just didn't hook the vacuum line up to it, whichever)

I wasn't aware of how 2.2 and 2.4 did the deed. I suppose I did at some point but moved on.

My question, and initial worry about cutting off the fuel is the transient time... while the engine is still humming away at 20+ psi and the chamber is expecting 11.5:1 worth of fuel (perhaps the person in the driver's seat as well) and in that smidgen of time after 2.2 shuts off the fuel when the afr starts to climb is when the engine damage is being done.

I suppose this fuel cut issue is proportional to the robustness of the piston and how far strung out it is on boost. It's probably pretty safe for a b21ft at 7psi but not so much for lh2.2 at 20psi?

I remember asking this question a few years ago in the EMS section related to MS rev limits.... the agreement was that spark cut was the way to go with some fuel cut.

So? is the transient when the chamber must lean out enough to kill a piston?

I think it could be. It would depend how close to the knife edge the tune is IMO.

You’d be thumping 20+ psi at what, greater than 4000rpm? Stuff is moving really fast at that point and going from 11.5:1 to 13.5 or 14:1 would make me uncomfortable. Nevermind if it got to 16:1 even for a split second. Like, once or twice probably isn’t going to kill the engine but if it becomes semi regular I think you’ll be ls swapping sooner rather than later.

Are you trying to run this kind of boost level on 2.2?

I wasn't aware of how 2.2 and 2.4 did the deed. I suppose I did at some point but moved on.

My question, and initial worry about cutting off the fuel is the transient time... while the engine is still humming away at 20+ psi and the chamber is expecting 11.5:1 worth of fuel (perhaps the person in the driver's seat as well) and in that smidgen of time after 2.2 shuts off the fuel when the afr starts to climb is when the engine damage is being done.

I suppose this fuel cut issue is proportional to the robustness of the piston and how far strung out it is on boost. It's probably pretty safe for a b21ft at 7psi but not so much for lh2.2 at 20psi?

I remember asking this question a few years ago in the EMS section related to MS rev limits.... the agreement was that spark cut was the way to go with some fuel cut.

So? is the transient when the chamber must lean out enough to kill a piston?

So you mean you arent sure but decided to tell me definitively what happens even though ive used it already and havent melted or broken sht?

And so what you friend says here does nothing but point this way coz you were told how would it it reach 28 pounds if the cut was set well before that but you know everything bruh

Can you answer the question Hubert? Have you done anything more than stock boost in your b21ft?

Can you tell me what goes on in the chamber at 28psi when someone shuts off the fuel? Do you have the melted piston to prove it cause I sure as **** do.

Hell yes 17-18 pounds is hardly stock boost Bruh and it was on stock pistons ignition etc Everything over 20 years old. Can you not read its been said to you many times including the APC thread. All this was before you ever arrived here in 2010 some 7 years later after me. And none of that changes the fact that the fuel cut was used effectively and proposed by the engineers.

Last edited:
171807880.jpg

Last edited:
No because there is no reason to hit 28 pounds with a stock setup then try to cut fuel at that point. Is it safe to say you didn't know what you were doing then? Why would U or anyone else try to push a stock kjet or LH and oem pistons to 28 pounds then cut fuel? I certainly never said that. Thats why no I never melted pistons and it isnt because you run some phenomenal boost no one else has seen here. I knew better than that from the jump with my stock car and stock motor.

I know from the antiquated build methodology that id need some failsafe well before those boost levels and to be quite honest if I have the Turbo I actually want I dont think Ill ever run 28 pounds. It doesn't even sound realistic to me. I seen people on this forum (haltechsupra) I believe push the redblock with water injection and blow out the block well before 28 pounds sir. Now maybe they didn't know what they were doing but they did enuf to scare me. What they did with water was impressive and more than powerful enuf for me. You need to remember I dont care about time slips or accomplishment clubs. I have a wagon and it is my sleeper and it will stay as such. My **** is slow bruh and will not run worth ****. All my cars are like that bruh. But it is not exactly stock now either so you can talk trash on it Im fine with that.

Last edited:
The motor I just put in the rally car is currently running 28-30 psi on a b230ft with only a set of Chinese h-beam rods and a IPD turbo cam :e-shrug:

What do you consider stock? I have reason to believe a motor with hbeams is hardly stock and it's amazing to have such rods and not have any head work done. I know they are not grotis heads but 20-23 pounds with a 3/4 hybrid should get him close to 300 . I just do not believe a stock motor and fuel and ignition system adequately supports 28 pounds. So whats exactly stock?

Back