alschnertz
Enough already!

Got a clip for you.
Will pm later
Old 04-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #202
Mint2Me
Board Member

Default Mirror Mirror

I took the base of the rearview mirror off and I think there should be 2 metal rods, one on each side of the bolt hole. They push apart when you tap the mirror in place and the screw on the mirror bottom snaps over the 2 rods holding it in place.

So my base has only 1 metal rod. Where the heck did the other one go? I don't think it was removed by the original owner.

Of course, I could have a totally wrong assumption. If I am correct, does anybody have an extra base?

[/IMG]
Mint2Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #203
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint2Me View Post
So my base has only 1 metal rod. Where the heck did the other one go? I don't think it was removed by the original owner.
If you can't find another original one, it should be easy enough to make a replica. Measure the rod diameter and order a piece from McMaster-Carr. Spring steel if they have it in the right size. Cut to length.

Beautiful car, and it keeps getting nicer!

I'm in awe of that shop as well. So clean.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #204
142 guy
Board Member

Quote:
It arrived in one piece and it was fun tooling around a bit and then the NOS rearview mirror fell off.

The old one popped off and the new one, that looks exactly like the old one, is fighting me to stay on. What is the trick?
A major pain to install. On my 142 I pushed, shoved, grunted, lubed the stud, tried a rubber mallet ..... Finally put a small bottle jack between the two seats and used a length of 2x4 between the jack and the base of the mirror with a rag between the mirror and the 2x4 to protect the finish on the mirror. Pumped up the bottle jack and it eventually popped into place; but, did take more jacking than I expected (actually stepped outside to make sure I wasn't bulging the roof).

They must have had a gorilla on the production line for that particular assembly step.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #205
142 guy
Board Member

Quote:
I took the base of the rearview mirror off and I think there should be 2 metal rods, one on each side of the bolt hole. They push apart when you tap the mirror in place and the screw on the mirror bottom snaps over the 2 rods holding it in place.

Of course, I could have a totally wrong assumption. If I am correct, does anybody have an extra base?

[/IMG]
Yes, you are missing one of the spring rods. Have a look around - it may have popped out of place when you first tried to install the mirror and may be laying about somewhere. Since it popped out you will likely have to restake the ends (where those dimples are located) in order to get it to stay in place.

If you can't find suitable spring steel rod a twist drill bit of close to the same size may work as a substitute. Cutting it to length will be a pain and it will be much stiffer than spring steel making insertion a major chore. Only try the drill if you can't find the correct spring steel.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:40 PM   #206
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Same thing on a 245 shouldn't be hard to come up with one in wanted if they're NLA.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna sprout?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #207
VolvoNut4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 guy View Post
Yes, you are missing one of the spring rods.
I discovered years ago on an identical mount on my 1800E that those rods are the exact same diameter as a wire coat hanger! Just snip off a piece the size of the other rod, drop it in, and you're in business.
VolvoNut4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #208
Mint2Me
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoNut4Ever View Post
I discovered years ago on an identical mount on my 1800E that those rods are the exact same diameter as a wire coat hanger! Just snip off a piece the size of the other rod, drop it in, and you're in business.
Pure Genius...I cut a piece and made sure it was tight. The diameter is a little bit thinner so I Gorilla glued it and popped in 2 small pieces of a match stick to keep it in place. Rube Goldberg would be proud (if it works).
Old 04-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #209
Mint2Me
Board Member

Default The Dash is done...

I am happy with the way it turned out and so far, the rearview mirror is staying in place so thanks to Volvonut4ever for the tip.

I replaced the ashtray with a Mitchell Aircraft clock with light. The switch for the front fog lights is on the driver's side by my knee. The twin Heuer stopwatches are on a Nato magnetic cell phone holders affixed to the underside of the main dash and in between the lower cover.

The compass...well, they never work right but looks cool. Not sure about the fire extinguisher location. It is placed in between the seats for the picture.

The Nardi wheel was a pain in the ass but I think it works. That boss/hub ain't never coming off 'cause it is on there tight. The horn button drove me crazy and still might continue to do so. The Nardi button as 2 spade connectors, one for power, the other ground. So I made a ground wire out of 14 gauge wire and left the end stripped to touch against the hub and ground. Not sure how long that will last. Any better ideas are welcome.

I plan on lowering the roof rack onto the wagon today or tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #210
Mint2Me
Board Member

Default Racked

I went for a nice drive. Surprised by the decent pickup and smooth shifting. My Nardi is a little bit off-center. Drats. Missing a few of those clips that hold the badging on but other than that, the rust ahead of the rear wheel and a dented front fender, I am done.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #211
142 guy
Board Member

Looks good. What is with the 4x4 behind the rear wheel - parking brake issues?

Trust me, with a vintage car you are never really done unless you sell it to someone else.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #212
Mint2Me
Board Member

Quote:
Looks good. What is with the 4x4 behind the rear wheel - parking brake issues?

Trust me, with a vintage car you are never really done unless you sell it to someone else.
I have trust issues. When I get to know a new acquisition I dont trust it for a few weeks. I placed the wood parking brake when I returned from my maiden voyage and left the motor running to check for leaks and smoke under the hood. None there, I shut it down and took the picture.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #213
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Looking nice. What did you do with your old steering wheel?
'87 Land Cruiser
'01 Cherokee - "Janice"
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #214
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Other random questions if you don't mind; whereabouts was this car found in California, and do you still have the blue & yellow plates?

Looks great with the Panasports, fogs, and roof rack. Perfect level of accessorizing in my opinion. Stay classy, CT.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #215
Mint2Me
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Other random questions if you don't mind; whereabouts was this car found in California, and do you still have the blue & yellow plates?

Looks great with the Panasports, fogs, and roof rack. Perfect level of accessorizing in my opinion. Stay classy, CT.
Easy part first-yes I have the California plate. Sally Orcutt moved back to Wellesley Mass from PalAlto around 1987. She gave up the car to a small shop in town in 1989 because it had developed a number of issues she didnt want to deal with. The shop owner tucked it in the corner until last summer when it was rescued by a friend of mine who stumbled upon it. The rest you know.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #216
Mint2Me
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
Looking nice. What did you do with your old steering wheel?
In a box. I plan on holding on to it in case...not sure why.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:30 AM   #217
Scaramanga
Board Member

Quote:
In a box. I plan on holding on to it in case...not sure why.
Dont think! Just keep it.

Really nice car. Well done!
Old 04-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #218
sksmith
Board Member

Agree with all, this turned out fantastic.
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #219
Mint2Me
Board Member

Default It is pandemic May so here is an update

I’m happy with the 145 but I think it hates me. Of course, all of the events I had hoped to participate in are canceled so going local will be all the fun this year..

A few puzzling things have cropped up:

The most puzzling involves gas. About a month ago I topped up the fuel tank. I didn’t need to but I wanted to benchmark my fuel gauge and usage. It spit out violently when it told me it was full. No problem. I parked it for a week and discovered a puddle under the tank. Fuel was leaking from the fuel sender gasket. An easy fix...I thought. When I received the rubber gasket from VP, I drove around a lot to get the fuel level down enough to change the gasket. The old cork gasket was split so I installed the new one and snugged it down tight. So why is it still sweating gas around the sender? I cleaned it up again and tightened it but it still does it. I removed the charcoal canister up front and was careful not to plug up the hose end in case it is a tank pressure thing. When I remove the gas cap, there isn’t any “whoosh” sound. Lastly, I’m down probably 3 or 4 gallons from full.

The other annoyance...I glued the vent window clips during the winter inside the house with JB Weld clear. Cleaned them well and left them alone for a month before I installed them. Last week I found one of them on the floor.

One last thing. Through Joe Lazenby, the editor of Rolling magazine asked if he could include an article about the project. Not sure if it is worthy but it will be in the May/June issue
Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #220
sksmith
Board Member

For the vent windows, I think you really need to use an adhesive for rear view mirrors. Permatex has a product specifically for this: https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...-adhesive-kit/
So does 3M: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3082785&rt=rud
As does Loctite, but finding it on there site is a pain in the ass. Here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37438.../dp/B000VNAIQ2

I think your car will make a great article for Rolling.

Have you checked the filler hose to the top of your tank connection? The hose could be split or not secured well enough.
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #221
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
A few puzzling things have cropped up:

The most puzzling involves gas. About a month ago I topped up the fuel tank. I didn’t need to but I wanted to benchmark my fuel gauge and usage. It spit out violently when it told me it was full. No problem. I parked it for a week and discovered a puddle under the tank. Fuel was leaking from the fuel sender gasket. An easy fix...I thought. When I received the rubber gasket from VP, I drove around a lot to get the fuel level down enough to change the gasket. The old cork gasket was split so I installed the new one and snugged it down tight. So why is it still sweating gas around the sender? I cleaned it up again and tightened it but it still does it. I removed the charcoal canister up front and was careful not to plug up the hose end in case it is a tank pressure thing. When I remove the gas cap, there isn’t any “whoosh” sound. Lastly, I’m down probably 3 or 4 gallons from full.
I had a similar issue on my 71. The sender doesn't ever hit a stop when it seals, it'll just unseal again if you keep turning it. I didn't realize this, because other senders I'd installed had a stopping point that would prevent further turning of the sender unit once it was fully installed.

There should be 6 lobes on your sender that will bite onto 6 tangs present on the hole at the top of your gas tank. I'd remove the sender & make sure each tang is level with the rest of the sheet metal of the gas tank. If necessary, maybe gently bend them down with a soft piece of wood.

Then, this part will be hard to describe, but maybe you'll get the hang of what I'm trying to say... There should be 6 lobes on the sender. So, every 60 degrees of turning during installation will set you right back to where you started. Therefore, you need to install the sender by placing it in the hole of the tank and then turn it exactly 30 degrees.

I'd maybe take a sharpie and mark a zero on the sender & tank with the sender placed in the hole, then remove sender & use a protractor to mark 30 degrees of rotation onto the tank. Then reinsert the sender, and turn it until the previously made mark lines up with the 30 degree mark on the tank.

If you look at my build thread, I had the exact same problem. I over-rotated the sender during install to where it was still seated but not sealed.
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #222
142 guy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
For the vent windows, I think you really need to use an adhesive for rear view mirrors. Permatex has a product specifically for this: https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...-adhesive-kit/
Ditto on the Permatex rearview mirror kit. I used it to reattach the clip on one of my vent window two or three years ago and so far it is holding fine. However, the Permatex is an acrylic product and JB Weld products are typically epoxies. Unless you can remove all traces of the JB Weld from the clip (it probably did not stick to the glass) you likely will not get a durable bond with the Permatex or any of the other products.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #223
escondidoron
Board Member

Quote:
Unless you can remove all traces of the JB Weld from the clip (it probably did not stick to the glass) you likely will not get a durable bond with the Permatex or any of the other products.
Both of the wind wing latches on my 145 had come off and were in the glove box at the time of purchase. I used inside rear view mirror adhesive to re-attach. As mentioned by 142guy it is imperative that both surfaces are clean and flat to make the repair work. Use a razor blade to remove any old adhesive residue from both surfaces before attempting to reinstall. After scraping / chiseling off the all of the old adhesive material clean both surfaces thoroughly with acetone. Then daub on the accelerant followed by a drop of the fresh mirror adhesive on the latch.

Let it sit without tension overnight before using as a precaution.

Note: I put a dot of tape on the outside of the window to define the location for the latch so that I was confident that I got it located in the proper position.

This method worked for me.

'73 145
'16 V60

A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom. - Michel De Montaigne 1588

escondidoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #224
Mint2Me
Board Member

Default Thanks to all responders!

I did lots of research and was led to believe that JB Weld was superior in this application. My procedure is similar to responder "escondidoron" so all I have to do is order some of the right stuff.

I'm a little confused by the procedure suggested by Iansplatinum on the sender gasket. I'm able to tighten the screwss until it is super tight and the top is almost flush with the top of the tank so the rubber gasket is squashed down nicely. I checked yesterday and saw no more sweating so perhaps I got it tight enough. We shall see.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #225
svinkle
Board Member

It's been a while but I seem to remember just turning the sender until it stopped, not having to calculate how far to turn before it loosened again.

I do remember my eyes watering from the gasoline fumes in the cabin before I replaced that o-ring.