• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Radiator Options

supreme940

So I replaced my radiator march of 2018 with a Genuine Volvo radiator (VOL-8603906) from FCP. It's leaking right where the aluminum meets the plastic. Now they don't carry it anymore so I'm probably SOL with a lifetime warranty replacement. They do carry another brand, Nissens, which I haven't read good reviews of. Are there any good brands that use a FULL METAL radiator, instead of this plastic edge, aluminum core stuff?

I don?t think it matters if they don?t carry it anymore should still be covered. I?ve been using nissens radiators in my Saab?s and Volvo?s for 20+ years and have always been happy with them. Haven?t seen all metal available in years.

+1 for the Nissens.

I bought one on sale 3 months ago and I'm very happy with the quality.

Don't know any other all aluminium unit than the do88 as well.

I’ve been using the Nissens on my 240 as well. As others have posted, they are great

Yes, there was one. CSF was the manufacture. Whether you can still get one or not, I wouldn't know but probably not. You can get the Do88 all aluminum unit. https://www.eurosporttuning.com/aluminum-radiator-volvo-740-940-960-manual-92-98.html

:omg:

$ 400?

No wonder I've never seen one in the junkyard.

wc-240-2.jpg

So I replaced my radiator march of 2018 with a Genuine Volvo radiator (VOL-8603906) from FCP. It's leaking right where the aluminum meets the plastic. Now they don't carry it anymore so I'm probably SOL with a lifetime warranty replacement. They do carry another brand, Nissens, which I haven't read good reviews of. Are there any good brands that use a FULL METAL radiator, instead of this plastic edge, aluminum core stuff?

Have not had a problem but if it leaks around the seal, any radiator could fix it easy. With the removal tanks, it’s easy to clean it the put the tanks back on it no cracks in the plastic tanks.

If you end up replacing, I'll add another +1 to the Nissens available. The original radiator in my 740 cracked at the top hose soon after I bought it, swapped in a Nissens, and haven't had an issue.

Have not had a problem but if it leaks around the seal, any radiator could fix it easy. With the removal tanks, it?s easy to clean it the put the tanks back on it no cracks in the plastic tanks.

Not a chance. Those are crimped. That aluminum cracks as soon as you try to bend it back straight to remove the tank.

I'll try a nissens, theyll refund me the difference and send the replacement so hopefully that one lasts. If not, I'll just have to buck up and get a do88.

+1 for the Nissens.

I bought one on sale 3 months ago and I'm very happy with the quality.

Don't know any other all aluminium unit than the do88 as well.

Welp, I just noticed yesterday that it's leaking on the bottom somewhere...
I really thought it's gonna last a bit longer than 4 years...
I don't see exactly where it's leaking from, just from somewhere around the bottom holding bracket area.

Nothing I can do other than buy another one, right?
It's still the same price as in 2019 on Skandix - € 85

It's on the driver's side where there's only the top hose and I didn't see it leaking from there.
Will inspect closer on the weekend though.

I pulled a Nissen radiator off a 93 940 in the yard once. The small coolant port that is about in the middle of the tank was slightly melted out of shape; I can post the picture I took later if you want. Upon inspection I realized they do not put a metal insert in the ports like Mercedes does. With that said, I wonder if the melting was because it ran hot or just getting old.

I pulled a Nissen radiator off a 93 940 in the yard once. The small coolant port that is about in the middle of the tank was slightly melted out of shape; I can post the picture I took later if you want. Upon inspection I realized they do not put a metal insert in the ports like Mercedes does. With that said, I wonder if the melting was because it ran hot or just getting old.
My guess would be they ran the car low on coolant and got things very hot. Either that or if it's automatic they may have run the trans low and that oil what little was in there got very hot. I've seen melted timing belt covers from over heating the redblock.

Back