• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Quick update:

1. Love it at 14 psi. Feels more responsive as my 940's 15G/B230FT/V camshaft combo but with more torque seemingly everywhere in the power band. The GTX really does some magic here. Guess the thin head gasket, smoothed exhaust manifold, ported head, and cam do play a big role here as well.
2. Pinged on the 2-3 shift above 12 PSI and 15 degrees of advance. So I backed off base timing a hair. Slightly more sluggish off the line at 13-14 degrees btdc.
3. Serious lack of traction with open diff. Need to get started on the Truetrac soon.
4. Need better ignition control and higher redline to really take advantage of the turbo/head/cam package

So these are my next steps (in no particular order after A):

A. diff
B. T-5
C. Seats
D. EMS

Installed an MSD BTM. Set base timing to 16?, boost at 16ish psi, and the retard dial to pull .5? for every pound of boost after 1 psi. In short it's pulling 3.5? at the top end. It's nice having the extra oomph at low revs AND the very strong top end that this turbo absolutely loves. Feels like there is more power well beyond the 6200 rpm cut.

I also noticed that there are n't a whole lot of places where this would make a nice clean install that is also accessible...so ai put it in plain sight. I hate the way it looks but 1) it's not ghetto and 2) it's within easy reach and out of the way of other components.

Pics:

From the box's documentation:

"The MSD can be mounted in most positions, except directly upside down (if upside down, moisture
or water cannot escape). It can be mounted in the engine compartment as long as it is away from
direct engine heat sources. It is not recommended to mount the unit in an enclosed area such as
the glovebox."

I use my glove box for its intended purpose. The BTM is fine where it is. I will probably build a nice bracket and get it powdercoated down the line.

Back