• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71: Oil Pan...Drain plug stripped

Pretty sure it's a steel bung tacked in place to the pan. And the threads didn't look like they had any "meat" on them to bore and rethread. I think a new pan is the way to go imo

a new pan is the way to go

Volvo 1233415 - No longer available worldwide...in my searches

Volvo 1208642 (Automatic Transmission Assembly) - New transmission is available, for $4,097.30 (plus tax and S&H).

Volvo 1233071 0-Rings (2) were replaced on cooler lines' elbow-fitting, and then oil-drain bolt stripped when tightening...Bummer.

I'll take a look at it when I remove oil pan; it might be best to plug it permanently.

Re tap it to the next bigger size if the plate in the pan is intact.

Correct Answer - 3/8" x 16 tap

This would be the ideal replacement bolt: 3/8"-16 STAINLESS STEEL BUTTON FLANGE HEAD SOCKET CAP SCREW (3/8"-16 x 3/4"), but a cut-off saw will be needed to shorten it.

They pressed in a bushing that was tapped....Here's what it looks like now, with a serrated bolt having a screw head.

thx all...

Edit: I found some on Amazon

Last edited:
Grease the tap flutes to catch the metal shards.

Problem was the drain plug was spinning in its position; I had to remove the pan, apply pressure on top of bolt's threads, then turn to remove it.

Footnote - I had to replace these O-rings, due to a transmission oil leak

Volvo 1233071 0-Rings (2)

When it got real cold around here, transmission's cooler line was leaking where it inserted into transmission. 28 year old o-ring failed...I suspect it didn't expand after that cold weather...minus 20 F or so.

Back