• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

RSI Stage 2 cam feedbacks?

davidmacq

Bored Member
Seems this one I have...which is first run...got one of each from the group buy...is a reground cam...either way...none of the shims in shim kit are thick enough for it by a good bit. Anyone else run into this?

Valves are standard...and Stage1 cam installed fine.

Tried to call RSI but no answer.

i have a stage II from the special pricing a year ago. none of my stock shims are thick enough, but i think that's pretty standard. it's not that far out, is noisey, and one day i'll get the right ones, but runs fine in my b21ft

Guys , you HAVE to shim a cam right !
Where the hell do the idea come from that it isnt really needed ?

wanted to, tried, didn't have any thick enough, sorry, rent me the shim kit if it bothers you so bad, otherwise it'll tick till i get it fixed

Not my business ,I know ......But , eh , how about not starting the job untill you have whats needed ?

maybe someone could throw out a place to get shims? besides stealing them from everycar in the junkyard lol. an yeah im strongly considering a stage 2 in my car so more feedback on them!

I have a shim kit...none were big enough...like since it is reground the base circle is too small. Hell...I have mechanic friend who has installed quite a few cams with the kit...and the extra thick shims aren't the greatest thing anyway.

So I guess this is the same with all the RSI stage 2 cams...least I guess I know now.

So what is one to do if the biggest shim wont fit? Taller valves? Grind the hell out of the seat? Shim under followers?

You need this 4,35mm it should be enough...

DSCN4718.jpg

Its a pain when things wont work , either because someone screwed up the height of the valves in the seats , or the cam is a re-grind with smaller base.....lash caps ground to size can be used inside the bucket , not worth my time , but lots of people use them.

maybe someone could throw out a place to get shims? besides stealing them from everycar in the junkyard lol. an yeah im strongly considering a stage 2 in my car so more feedback on them!
i had a stack of cams from a handful of stock heads/cams, none were close enough
You need this 4,35mm it should be enough...

DSCN4718.jpg
i don't think i need that much(i don't have a first run "reground" cam) but they're far enough out to tick. in hindsight i would have lapped the valves a little more to get it closer, i tried to take a piece of sheet metal and cut a disc/shim out of it, shoved it under the stock shim and it was too tight, so i'm off less than .1mm

my 244 - 300+k mile b230f, i tossed in an A cam, and it's so much further out of spec, and everthing's been fine for years, i figured a little less ticking on a car i drive a couple times a year wouldn't kill me

shoved it under the stock shim and it was too tight, so I'm off less than .1mm

I had them tick if the were 0.40-0.45 lash so eventually I started always putting them on 0.35mm lash all, warm or cold...there is difference between warm and cold but hardly noticeable...it was frustrating cause of 0.05 or 0.1 mm tick...

I got my shims strait from Volvo, I think they where 4.5mm or so, the car really runs strong with the cam in it, I was able to take my time with the engine build though. So waiting for parts wasn't really a problem.

Back