• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Crank sensor placement, modified flat flywheel

dandeluca

Bolting up my flat flywheel from STS and just wanted to make sure there were no surprises when it came to the crank sensor positioning.

Here’s what it looks like.

https://imgur.com/a/9qpGHSo

Seems fine to me but if anyone has any experience I’d love to hear it before I continue.

I had to abandon hopes of getting the bell housing gasket and 4th gear switch from the dealer. (The said they capfuls get the gasket but the 4th gear switch was discontinued). Volu Parts in Georgia shipped them right out. So should be ready to install the trans soon.

So I put the crank pulley at zero and the top pulley is aligned with the mark on the back of the cover. I am a bit unclear if this is exactly top dead center, but I think it is. Anyway here is what the flywheel looks like.

YsrdJVWl.jpg

It is towards the bottom of the starter hole but it is in the starter hole. I think if I moved it over a bolt it would not be in the starter hole at all.

This is getting a little off topic (I have the flywheel on correctly I'm not worried about that), but when the notch on the crank pulley is aligned to the 0 degree mark is that that TDC on cylinder one or is there more then one state of TDC?

Didn't see it mentioned so i'll add that you should make sure the balancer marks are in the correct position, as they are known to split and spin.

Top dead center is when both valves are closed on cylinder number one compression stroke and piston is at top of cylinder. take out spark plug check with pencil down hole also take off valve cover make sure valves are closed both cam lobes off valve caps valves closed.

Or you could be top dead center exhaust stroke... fyi 4-stroke motor....

Crank sensor looks good. I didn't have to modify the bracket at all when I used a STS flat flywheel. I did when I used JohnV flywheel had to grind some of the back side of the bracket off so it would be in better position for the holes.

Last edited:
Top dead center is when both valves are closed on cylinder number one compression stroke and piston is at top of cylinder. take out spark plug check with pencil down hole also take off valve cover make sure valves are closed both cam lobes off valve caps valves closed.

Or you could be top dead center exhaust stroke... fyi 4-stroke motor....

Thanks

Back