home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #126
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

All I got done today was some wiring, no energy for anything more strenuous. Waiting for results of PCR test.

repinned the gate harness, JPT terminals 6pole + 2pole

left sufficient length to tuck the connectors in the middle area, in case there's no room on the outer left

After that, I cut the rear harness to make the pass through connections. Spliced in an extra set of wires that can be used for the trailer connections, so I don't have to splice anything off the taillamp. Also added the white wire back for the license plate illumination.

6.3mm for the heavier wiring (4polePT), 2.8mm for everything else (6pole,2poleJPT), except the ABS which I used a higher quality TS060 sealed housing with higher grade contacts (used on later Volvos for engine temp sensors, so I have a bunch)

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread

Last edited by lookforjoe; 03-09-2022 at 08:31 AM..
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:13 PM   #127
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Snow is gone & sun is out, so I worked outside for a few hours. Since I've been really sick since Sunday, I took a PCR test on Tues, & got back a positive Wed. night. I of course gifted it on the Mrs., so now we both have it.

Removed the rear door harnesses, except for speaker wiring

Worked on low effort pieces - started folding & tacking the cut B pillar layers so that nothing is left loose, and folded the edges that would interfere with the stake insertion, then cut & welded the first stake holder bracket . I'll finish it & clean up the welds later. Haven't decided if there will be just 4 in place, or six. It's such a short bed 4 is prolly sufficient

Figuring out how to fill the rear door - I decided I don't want to have a smooth panel covering the whole thing - it won't go with the rest of the bed. So, a filler piece to join door opening to inner door skin - approx 3/4" wide, will be butt-welded

then contoured pieces to fill large openings, and join to the C pillar, and I'll fill the various small holes

Cut some SS to make the reinforcement inserts for the rail caps: 48x 3.5"; for a 2" vertical & 1.25" horizontal ( with a 1/4" folded edge) -

Same as Sq tube idea, just larger overall dimensions for the rail

also folded some sheet (in background) to make the 1/4 glass lower lip

This got complicated as I want to retain the inner & outer door upper lip - for the outer molding, and for the door panel should I decide to cut it down & make it work.. That means there has to be an open channel on either side of the glass frame lip along the door cap

it will be welded to the door skin along the opening where the vice grips at located, and to the vertical pinch welds at each end

(dropped on the right in this pic, it will sit level)

Last edited by lookforjoe; 03-13-2022 at 09:09 AM..
Old 03-14-2022, 08:40 PM   #128
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Got back outside for a couple hours today whilst the sun was in the driveway. Still feeling kinda shagged.

Removed the rear door locks & handles to prep for welding, and made some more tagboard templates for the door filler sections, then cut a couple of the pieces from my wife's Fiat 500 roof section that I removed for the sunroof install

card filler strip to unite inner door skin to door sill/opening. approx 3/4" deep. Trying to keep all welds to butt joints whenever possible to avoid moisture traps

Old 03-15-2022, 09:24 PM   #129
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

small steps - got the upper inserts spot welded together after a bunch of fettling to get the fit right

tacked in place - I'll weld the door side with the door open, then do the C pillar side after the door are welded shut

cut the L & R forward door fillers, and center junction for bottom of door skin to sill

nibbler tool worked the best for these more organic shaped pieces

Old 03-16-2022, 08:22 PM   #130
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Cut out the cross braces & beams from the roof skin, so I can use parts of the skin for various areas.

Cut out some more filler pieces

The doors have a slight curve at the top where the handle is located, so I cut sections from the roof (8.25'x3.75") just inboard of the ridge.

Cut out the door cup, after scribing around the filler piece I made

only minor filling after that

ready to tack

forgot to photograph it during the tack/weld steps - this is after I ground down the welds & put some primer on it

I'll need to grind it a little more, then some minor filler

pretty level across the panel - I'l happy with the results. I did get a little over zealous with the speed at which I worked around - I heard the panel pop in the area below the weld- it sucked in. I used the heat gun & a stick to massage it back out after.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:53 PM   #131
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Back on it today after work - got some of the filler welded on the right door, shaved the right handle, and added the cap for the left (original) C pillar

lower channel for 1/4 glass

filler welded to right door opening

right door

went slower & moved around more this time, didn't get any significant panel distortion

problem with left door - with upper section flush with 1/4 - lower section sticks out pretty far. I tried adjusting the door at the hinges, without success. I'll have to try resetting the latch, and then prying the upper section outward to level it for welding. The pass door doesn't have this issue.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:47 PM   #132
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Got a couple hours in today - spent most of the day going to Jersey to get a Volvo for my Mum

got more filler panels welded

lower portion of crossmember now has something to weld to

inner sections (visible tangs with bolt holes) will need uniting with door skin also

figured out the top pinch weld that the rail has to attach to up to the C pillar, so that's something. Used a section of the 1/4 panel lip that was removed from the parts wagon
Old 03-20-2022, 08:28 PM   #133
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Plan was to focus on making the tie plate for the gate opening. I got the template made, then got sidetracked on balancing out the filler panels I needed to add to the left door, and that led to making the support bracket for the antenna motor. I integrated it into the rear lower filler panel

template made

support for motor

motor drain set in bottom of door

antenna in place - I will have to raise the motor about 1-2" though - there's not enough slack in the drive cable

left lower glass channel

The other thing that has to happen is using the forward vertical of the rear door seal, the B pillar trim is in part retained by the lip of the door seals, and it is needed to seal the lower half of the rear door forward edge

overview pics - I need to weld the inner door skins to the flanges I made before I weld the gate valance in situ, or I won't be able to get to the seams to weld the lower rear arc off the sill into the opening

Old 03-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #134
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Cut the valance filler (16ga) - had to go back & forth trimming the outer 12" on each side - the valance actually has a dogleg to it on each side, so the depth was all wrong. I had to taper the base to get it to align. Also cut about 1.5" off the base of the valance to level it & get above the rust.

tacked in place, then I'll remove the valance & fully weld it.

The (plastic) gas tank in directly under the left side floor where the plastic plug is located - so, I may need to drop the tank before I seam weld the filler to the floor. I also have to figure out the drainage. I'm going to use this recessed area as a stowage bin, and it may or may not be sealed enough to keep water out.

going to add reinforcements on the inside, where the valance originally attached to the frame rails

Old 03-23-2022, 07:06 PM   #135
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Productive afternoon. Got the 3 supports fabricated, the end valance-to-door tie plates for the lower valance, and the caps to close off the valance/sill. Next I can remove the valance, do all the underside welding and then move on to welding the doors closed before welding the valance to the floor & doors.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #136
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Plugging away at the valance welding

Old 03-26-2022, 10:04 PM   #137
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Lots done today, in between the rain showers. Sealed all the seams that needed it, got the fillers made for the B pillar covers, cap & stake holder on the right.

fillers for B pillars

filler ties the B pillar cover to the door post

needs to be a clean seam - the forward edge presses against the door seal

got the tapered cap on the right B pillar figured out, just needs the joiner to the drip rail

stake holder & C pillar cap

ready to weld shut here - mostly

Have to make drains to connect these to the outside

Old 03-27-2022, 07:29 PM   #138
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Got a fair bit done today. 2 remaining filler sections for each door, and the taper cap for the DS B pillar, then I finally got to welding a door shut. I started with the passenger door as the gap was less problematic on that one.

welded fillers, like all the others, outside along top seam, inside otherwise, to avoid moisture traps

caulked with seam sealer, also sprayed with some green metallic & navy spray paint to approximate the unfinished paint seen on all the interior sheet metal ��

filler for DS B pillar cap

put some paint on the Valance as well, where it would be easier to deal with out of the wagon

prepping the door & sill edge for welding - one can see how the gap is much wider above the dogleg. I had to use two 3/32" filler rods for the upper section

weld. grind, weld. Working back & forth to keep heat down. The other thing about the MIG, I don't wear a helmet for this work, which make life easier. I just weld blind :rolleyes:

ground it back carefully, to avoid thinning the panels

I decided to get some filler on this, even though it was only 40ºF, at least it was sunny.

Sanded. Very happy with the welding, didn't take much filler at all to level the shaved handle or the dogleg

will need some minor fill work to fix a couple low spots

Welded the B pillar leading edge

ground back

a little filler, didn't have time to sand it back

As it now stands. Weather is going to **** this week, back to the 20's tomorrow, so not sure what I'll be able to get done after work.

Last edited by lookforjoe; 03-27-2022 at 10:07 PM..
Old 03-29-2022, 08:10 PM   #139
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Temps are still in the freezing range, so not getting much done.

I added tie plates to the inner bottom of the gate valance, so I can tie the valance to the seat tub in the outer post area

Adjusting the fit of the rail supports

Small additional tie plate for the section that will be welded on the bed side of the gate

Welded the passenger door on the inside

Issue now is that I can't weld the driver's door shut, then install the gate valance, it won't fit. So, I need to position the valance, then weld the driver's door. It means it will a be pita welding the inside door edge.

A tie plate will be made to tie to the seat tub

revising the center brace

Finally, the C pillars will need careful alignment, once the gate valance is fixed in place. There is currently a minor offset issue

once the C pillar is aligned - the gap will be gone

Last edited by lookforjoe; 03-29-2022 at 08:19 PM..
Old 03-29-2022, 08:49 PM   #140
NJGreenBudd

Awesome. I looked at a couple pictures of these since seeing your thread, you look to be doing a very high caliber job!! All sorts of approaches for different folks, you are methodical for sure. It's like watching a really complicated episode of how stuff is made, it all comes together!

Sorry if you've detailed elsewhere, I know you said it would stay Redblock, what do you plan for the power train? I can't imagine a stock turbo setup??

Keep up the great work.
NJGreenBudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:01 PM   #141
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGreenBudd View Post
Awesome. I looked at a couple pictures of these since seeing your thread, you look to be doing a very high caliber job!! All sorts of approaches for different folks, you are methodical for sure. It's like watching a really complicated episode of how stuff is made, it all comes together!

Sorry if you've detailed elsewhere, I know you said it would stay Redblock, what do you plan for the power train? I can't imagine a stock turbo setup??

Keep up the great work.
I just did the +T on it for now. If I do a drivetrain swap, I'd probably go with Honda K24 - easy 200WHP NA, way more +T, and easy to tune with Hondata or K-Tuner. I already have experience playing with that on my X1/9. I'd need to locate the trans from a S2000 to make that happen. Not interested in another whiteblock swap.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:26 PM   #142
NJGreenBudd

Ok, I need to reread, I saw the stock turbo parts and thought this was a turbo car to start, my bad. So then +T is improvement for sure, i was thinking maybe you'd build a 230FT or something.
NJGreenBudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #143
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Got a fair bit done today. Valance/gate opening is now welded in place on the pillars, anyway. The sill I will need some time on. I found I had the valance set too far back, which meant the gate seal was not sealing on the upper half, no matter how I tweaked the pillar offset. I moved the whole thing forward at the base by about an inch. That minimizes the amount of fiddling I will need to do when I join the pillar halves next.

Got the opening aligned nicely with the gate, on both sides, before tacking the upper outer ridges

welded the left inner vertical, and the left door opening

ground back & primed

some 3M Dynatron 550 seam sealer on the welds

Then I moved on the right side

welded, ground & caulked

it's really in there for good now

problematic area - tie plates I made are now too short to mate with the back of the arch/sill- I don't want lap joints here, so it's going to get fiddly

also have to start figuring out how I'm going to cap this area but keep it a useable space

Old 05-14-2022, 07:58 PM   #144
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Damn. There are pages that are gone... I had documented long beyond the above post. about a month's worth of work is missing.

Made it to Carlisle Import show & back, had to leave early as my wife broke here foot badly last weekend. A pleasure to see all the usual faces down there.

YT clip. https://youtu.be/gzweEqEj8w8

tailgate

panels in, seats back in

bed

gate

bay

Carlisle

Last edited by lookforjoe; 05-16-2022 at 07:59 AM..
Old 05-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #145
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

added snaps to the wood floor to secure the plastic wagon cargo tray (saved in my attic for the past 20 years since I owned a 745)

Changed the door handles for the later style. Since they are white, I think I'll leave the gate white & be done with it.

Also painted the grab handles with SEM 15173 camel - thankfully the cap color does not match the contents

Last edited by lookforjoe; 05-20-2022 at 09:09 PM..
Old 05-21-2022, 10:40 PM   #146
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Worked on the end caps this afternoon

set to align with outer top edge of taillamp

put primer on them for now, no time to finish them until tomorrow

Have to fill in the transitions with some more weld material

figuring out the lower cap, hopefully get these welded tomorrow.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #147
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Yesterday I added some material to the left cap, and made the cover plate for the right side. That's as far as I got - had to make the right cap twice, first one I had the depth all wrong for the gate depth.

top view

Feel pretty good about the overall look from the rear / side

Old 05-24-2022, 09:29 PM   #148
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Welded the caps in yesterday. will need some refining, but that's the worst of the welding over with.

Cleaned up the left cap with a little more weld material today, at this point I'm just going to use filler to smooth the visible dip left in the transition from faux rail to post

Old 05-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #149
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Cleaning up the posts / faux rail transition - sand, fill, sand fill, prime. Coming along OK

Old 06-04-2022, 10:23 PM   #150
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Worked on getting the bed finished up, so welding the pockets, refining the back end of the inner rail & D posts

seam sealer & secure right pocket

filler on the rails

fill, sand, fill, sand, spot putty on rail ends & posts

pockets welded and sealed

put some base coat enamel on the lower sections, tomorrow I'll hopefully do the final sanding & paint on the rails & posts

cut & polished the tailgate, added the early (appropriate size) aluminum V O L V O emblem back - I did modify it though, separated the letters & spaced them slightly

EDIT: Volvo 700 Body GreenBook Emblem Placement. 32mm in from left, 60mm up. 35mm in from right, 60mm up.

Last edited by lookforjoe; 06-05-2022 at 08:52 AM..