home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 12-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
vvpete
Board Member

Default 240 Windshield and Gasket, 90-93

Like so many parts the later 240 windshield is nla, so I had a shop put in an aftermarket one, but they messed it up, as the gasket is too narrow (outside rubbrer gasket) and has gaps at the corners and barely reaches the cowl metal. Since the OE windshield came with a bonded plastic trim around the glass, and the sets into the gasket. Does anybody know which gasket should be used on the bare glass? I would think the one -89 is right, pn 1312597 (which is on a 4-6wk back order), or can the OE for the 90- work?
The shop will do it over if I get the gasket. Car is a 91 245 that never came with trim, only the gasket and the plastic edging showed.
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:35 AM   #2
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Trival glass is OE, btw. Pilkington recently moved it to a different brand name. There are three different thicknesses of the rubber gasket. Seems like they used the skinny gasket when installing it. You'll want to have them use the 1991-93 gasket in either the 3/4" or 1" width. The 1312597 seal is used with the metal trim and clips. Volvo part number for the late seal is 3540053-0.

1982 242Ti - black, B23FT/M46 combo.
@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo Corp.

The standard rubber is usually about 25 mm wide. 31 mm wide is available. I have compiled that info and sources in my page here:
https://www.240turbo.com/240windshield.html
Dave B

'84 242ti, fourth owner, mine since 2003. Garaged since new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, EMS: SDS EFI & IGN, TD04HL-15G turbo, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD, 3.91 diff, unmodified G80.
Volvo's Ambivalence of Volvo Enthusiast Community: prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: davebarton.com
240 Mods and Fixes Pages: 240turbo.com/volvo240mods.html
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Kestrel
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvpete View Post
Like so many parts the later 240 windshield is nla, so I had a shop put in an aftermarket one, but they messed it up, as the gasket is too narrow (outside rubbrer gasket) and has gaps at the corners and barely reaches the cowl metal. Since the OE windshield came with a bonded plastic trim around the glass, and the sets into the gasket. Does anybody know which gasket should be used on the bare glass? I would think the one -89 is right, pn 1312597 (which is on a 4-6wk back order), or can the OE for the 90- work?
The shop will do it over if I get the gasket. Car is a 91 245 that never came with trim, only the gasket and the plastic edging showed.
Somebody local to ABQ? I need a new windshield in both my 244 and 245. Curious what glass you received and who did the work. I'm up the road in the east mountains.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:07 PM   #5
vvpete
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
The standard rubber is usually about 25 mm wide. 31 mm wide is available. I have compiled that info and sources in my page here:
https://www.240turbo.com/240windshield.html
Dave B
Thanks Dave, yes the glass fits all years, I once put the 91 glass in a 68 144 with no issues. The key here is IF the later rubber molding p/n 3540053 is used with any glass without the trim on it, do you need to add the C channel molding that Volvo used on the 90-93 glass where it was bonded to the glass?
Old 12-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
vvpete
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Somebody local to ABQ? I need a new windshield in both my 244 and 245. Curious what glass you received and who did the work. I'm up the road in the east mountains.
Yes, I had it done at Auto Glass Now on Candelaria.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo Corp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvpete View Post
Thanks Dave, yes the glass fits all years, I once put the 91 glass in a 68 144 with no issues. The key here is IF the later rubber molding p/n 3540053 is used with any glass without the trim on it, do you need to add the C channel molding that Volvo used on the 90-93 glass where it was bonded to the glass?
I have no idea what this separate C channel molding is. Can you explain what that is and why it's required? It wasn't mentioned in the tutorial I have on later DIY glass install.
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
vvpete
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton View Post
I have no idea what this separate C channel molding is. Can you explain what that is and why it's required? It wasn't mentioned in the tutorial I have on later DIY glass install.
Dave, the later windshield is a 3 piece assembly, glass, C channel trim around the glass, and the rubber gasket. The gasket, 3540053 is only the outer rubber gasket, which is still available, but the glass with bonded C channel is not, and never seen it sold separately. The pic on your website clearly shows this, where the rubber stops where the C channel goes around the edge. The gasket is very different than a common windshield gasket, and doen not have any C channel, like the one piece T109B gasket that is mentioned on that page.
Btw the shop tried using the T109 gasket and decided to go with a narrow gasket because they said the wider 109 rolled up in the corners as it made the bend. So far I haven't seen a good solution to getting the flush gasket surface of the 90- windshield except perhaps sourcing the C channel and adding it to the bare glass and use the Volvo gasket made to work with it.
Btw, the Volvo gasket is about 25mm wide, which extend from 1-2 mm lip on the inside where it goes arould the inside at the C chanel. If you include the C channel width, the total is about 36-37mm. The T109b is 31 mm total width, from inside to outside, so it is not as wide as the OE trim.

Last edited by vvpete; 12-04-2021 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 12-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
Kestrel
Board Member

Thanks for the feedback, Pete. That's good info. I feel like the window (bad pun) is closing on a lot of these replacement parts so I'm definitely going to try to get my windshield glass lined up ASAP.

Do you know what glass brand Auto Glass Now was able to supply you?
Old 12-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
vvpete
Board Member

It is marked FY brand
Old 12-07-2021, 12:04 AM   #11
Kestrel
Board Member

Thanks Pete. Straight outta China, I think, though probably still better than my ridiculously chipped 33 year old windshield. Not so great when headed due west at sunset.