• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

got beat by a buick need low budget mods ideas!

budweiser_man

My friend has a 94 buick century, I raced him at a track and got beat! My car is a 85 744ti. His car is stock, my car has cold air intake box mod, less restrictive exhaust, and no boost mods. I put a boost gauge in today and I am runnuing at 8 psi. My compresion is good, and motor runs good. the car is tuned up and ready for mods. I am in college and on a really low to no budget. My car is stock except for what I listed I want to boost it up but do not know how. could someone direct me to where on this website or anyother website how to boost it up to like 12psi. The car is a daily driver. What do I need to do to the car before boosting it up, what parts I need and what I have to do.

Thanks

take out your "600W of thump"....that crap is weighing you down. I notice tire-spin is a little more of a problem, but if you get them heated up enough, you'll plant your rearend and you'll be done.

Also, powerbrake your car till you read 5psi on the boost gauge. I did that when my car was stock and it made for an awesome launch.

If this is one of the supercharged Buick cars they are really fast and you'll have to do some serious mods before you have that kind of power.

They are 3.8liter supercharged. The newest Pontiac Comp G version has
265hp. Probably well over 300ft lbs. of torque. I'm sure that mid 90s version would still have 240hp or so.

Best regards,

my friends car is not supercharged, I did power break it, and he still beat me. It has a v6. he has been rubbing it in my face and I wnat to put him in this place this friday at the track. that is why I need help.
thanks.

Man I hate to day to but if you have to have significant power before friday, you MIGHT want to get a nitrous kit.

Normally I wouldnt recommend it, but you are only looking for 1 thing, more power in 3 days.

[quote:eb6db06523]Why pay for a nitrous kit when he can get a 50 shot out of the turbo with a simple valve setup?[/quote:eb6db06523]

I agree 100%. But it sounds like he might need more.

dlot said:
If this is one of the supercharged Buick cars they are really fast and you'll have to do some serious mods before you have that kind of power.

They are 3.8liter supercharged. The newest Pontiac Comp G version has
265hp. Probably well over 300ft lbs. of torque. I'm sure that mid 90s version would still have 240hp or so.

Best regards,
"turbovirgin" on here has a relatively new Regal (1999-2000ish?) that runs somewhere in the 13's....Its got a custom exhaust, intake and airbox, a new pulley setup and some other toys. Oh, for the strip its got its self a nice set of big slicks. Didn't get a ride, but word is its IN-SANE

dont waste your time making a boost controler, just crank the rod like the linix man says......... its the way to go..... runnin 15 psi no prob

Gene

When was the last time you had a tuneup? Before you go all out and do all this crap like turning up your boost, do some other cheap stuff so you don't break anything.

Get some new spark plugs($.99ea), switch to synthetic oil($25 for a case of 6qts....kindy pricey), run premium gas, get an aerosol can of carb/injector and an old toothbrush and clean out your IC ducts and throttlebody($.99per can at Wal-Mart), take out your downstream MAF screen(Free!!!!), tranny flush(this can be pricey), air up your tires so you don't have as much rolling resistance(Free), make sure you have less than 1/4 tank of gas left, pull out some seats, spare tire, jack, etc for ever 100lbs you pull from your car; you strip off a 1/10th of a sec in the 1/4 mi(free), Clean your car....mine always feels faster when she's flossin. Pull off your airfilter...some people say it won't help, but it couldn't hurt, at least when you're at the track.

But yeah, as bad as you want to beat him, make sure you're done with stage 0.....you don't want it to bite you in the ass later on down the road....plus I would think that you should be beating this guy(that's why I question how in tune your car is).

I've never had problems with the NA GM V6s. Doesn't matter which car, truck, engine size...I've never had the oportunity of watching their tailights get smaller(even when my car was stock)...only their headlights in my rearview mirror. Never had a chance to race an SC one....I think it'd be a fun race with the stuff that I've done to my car now.

I sure got a kick out of it at the track when the Riceboyz with their front drive toys and slicks would have me by 100' before I could get it gathered up and moving.........Then I would SCREAM past 'em a hundred feet before the lights and go through the lights sideways..........Heh heh heh.........
Yeah....The track is for funnies.
Give that naughty wastegate actuator a couple-o-turns and see how your smiles per mile increase. Careful......Get it wrong and it goes KABOOM!!! right now.
JL.

how to adjust the wastegate rod too? I was looking thru the whole board for it but I couldn't find any article about it. I did tried to see if it's gonna slide out by gently pry it out from the turbo side but mine seems like it's stuck....or will there be a pin holding it back??

Back