• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

t6 2001 in 242 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again... Welcome to Turbobricks, where sarcasm is always prime timed!!

Since Dave's english speaking and writing skills are rather limited and since he his also a friend of mine who has helped me ALOT putting my 745 back on the road I'm taking the liberty to comment this very helpfull post by M. Buchka...

M. Buchka, let me just give you this link just to show you what this guy has done with a rusted up 242 in his own little garage on a small budget... It's an old thread and some pictures are not showing correctly but you'll get the idea... It's in french, Dave's native tongue but I'm sure that your superior intelligence will allow you to understand a little of what is written there...

http://forums.clubvolvoquebec.com/showthread.php?9353-242-qui-revit-au-quebec!

Your white knighting is admirable, but misplaced. This is not a mysterious swap. There have been many threads, many posts, and many discussions on the topic. The OP made a ****ty thread so he got a ****ty reply.

Your white knighting is admirable, but misplaced. This is not a mysterious swap. There have been many threads, many posts, and many discussions on the topic. The OP made a ****ty thread so he got a ****ty reply.

Ah... Come on Karl!!

No one has ever done this over here in Quebec... We're not in the land of the swedish Volvo swapping masterminds.

And I stated that his english is very limited so maybe his ability to do some researching in that language is also limited?

Anyway... I'll just try to point him on some threads and posts and will translate whatever he's not getting but believe me, this guy has the skills to do it.

Last edited:
Ah... Come on Karl!!

No one has ever done this over here in Quebec... We're not in the land of the swedish Volvo swapping masterminds.

And I stated that his english is very limited so maybe his ability to do some researching in that language is also limited?

Anyway... I'll just try to point him on some threads and posts and will translate whatever he's not getting but believe me, this guy has the skills to do it.

The fact that you're in quebec makes very little difference.

I did it two years ago and I live in BC. I have no better access to parts or info than you do.

I bought a motor off ebay from North Carolina and had it trucked up to the border.

I imported an M90 from England.

90% of the other parts I bought came from the US (and with that said the exchange rate was way worse than it is now! This project would probably 2k cheaper to do now than when I did it just because of the relative strength of the Canadian dollar vs international currencies).

I bought a welder.

I learned how to weld.

I bought an EMS.

I learned how to wire it an map it.

I put the motor in.

I started it.

I drove it.

You buy the parts and you make it work, there's nothing more to be said.

The fact that you're in quebec makes very little difference. You're fluent in english aren't you?

I did it two years ago and I live in BC. I have no better access to parts or info than you do.

I bought a motor off ebay from North Carolina and had it trucked up to the border. He can get the motor(still in the car) 115,000 Km on the odo for $1500. He just wanted to know if the 2001 version was a correct year

I imported an M90 from England. here's a relevant info

90% of the other parts I bought came from the US (and with that said the exchange rate was way worse than it is now! This project would probably 2k cheaper to do now than when I did it just because of the relative strength of the Canadian dollar vs international currencies).

I bought a welder. he has one

I learned how to weld. he's a good welder

I bought an EMS. car already on MS

I learned how to wire it an map it. no problemo

I put the motor in. good info here

I started it. even better

I drove it. lucky guy!

You buy the parts and you make it work, there's nothing more to be said.

I think this thread was borned dead... Thanks for all the help guys!:nod:

Sometimes this place is more like douche bags anonymous

No humor or sympathy in the fact that not everyone here knows everything or pretends they do- many of us display ignorance that is exactly that- not knowing; there shouldn NOT be any shame for lack of communication skills or knowledge if it is done in earnest and with humility.

I believe what this post is seeking is insight regarding less than obvious parts to be sourced and obstacles to mount. There are threads regarding Whiteblock conversions, but obviously he lacks the ability to navigate those for the information he is seeking.

My best advice- "Don't be an *******",
my secondary advice- do a GM or Ford swap and you'll deal with professionals and friendlier guys than the white-block lot.

This thread is hilarious. There seems to be a contingent on this board that self identifies as the "tbricks proletariat, fighting the good fight against the elite in crowd of whiteblock douchebags". Get over yourselves.

Whiteblock douchebag checking in.
The information is here, no one is hiding anything from anyone. How I approached problems and my solutions are clearly documented as are Bondo's and Karl's.
It's the lack of effort to read this info before asking that gets old. Fast.

First of all none of those things require fluent english.

Second of all it's nothing to do with being a "lucky guy". You pay for the parts and then you put a lot of time and effort in.

That's why some people on here seem like pricks. It's because there are so many who feel that any info they require should be served to them on demand on some silver platter by the people who gained the information by their own sweat and money, yes the people asking for help those people put no effort in. The feel the info is owed to them because the guys who know are just "lucky" and therefore should share the wealth.

I realize that sounds a little bitter but I'm trying to convey the other side of the coin.

Second of all it's nothing to do with being a "lucky guy". You pay for the parts and then you put a lot of time and effort in.

That's why some people on here seem like pricks. It's because there are so many who feel that any info they require should be served to them on demand on some silver platter by the people who gained the information by their own sweat and money, yes the people asking for help those people put no effort in. The feel the info is owed to them because the guys who know are just "lucky" and therefore should share the wealth.

I realize that sounds a little bitter but I'm trying to convey the other side of the coin.

I can understand that. "If you're good at something, don't do it for free" and all that jazz.

This thread is hilarious. There seems to be a contingent on this board that self identifies as the "tbricks proletariat, fighting the good fight against the elite in crowd of whiteblock douchebags". Get over yourselves.

Notice that not everyone is laughing here! Maybe Tbrick should add categories in the forum? Like "perf & suspension for the idiots" below the regular one? Or even better, new members should only get a giant "SEARCH OR DIE!!! button for a year or two when they login?

Dave and I put a lot of money, sweat, hours, blood in our builds and we work our asses of on a second and third jobs so we can do this without having the wives on our backs cause the bills don't get paid... So please don't tell me that I'm sitting on my freakin ass waiting for others to give me hints on how to do sh*t... We scratched our heads over tons of issues during my build and I'm telling you that I will post for help only after having tried to solve the problem by myself. Why? Cause it's much easier remembering the solution to a problem when you work it out yourself...

Talked to the OP at lunch time and it comes out that what he needed to know fast is if a t6 from a 2001 is a good motor for a swap in his 242. And since he's working a full time daytime job as a machinist, working nights doing mechanics for other Volvo owners he just didn't have the time for searching this because the freakin car that he wants to take the motor on is going to the crusher if no deposit is given by Friday...

Nuff said... Movin on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back