• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

Kenny is this a stock block? Also, might be a noon question but I'm not afraid to ask lol, if it cracked in cylinder three, what's the likelihood that the rod and pistons are still good?

rings are probably toast but the rest of it oughta be alright.

stock block, I staked it back in 09, but apparently going to 96.5mm mighta been pushing things. I'll formulate a battle plan going forward.

my in-car video. pretty ****ty actually, but may be entertaining. big smoke show at the end
https://youtu.be/1tuFK_EGNGc

block said "**** it, I'm OUT!"
163233389.jpg

head
163233388.jpg

the non-destroyed head gasket
163233390.jpg

the post-race geyser condition
163233387.jpg

it's not good when you have antifreeze coming out of your breather system. It's really a bad indication when you go to drain the milkshake oil and the first gallon that comes out is fresh green coolant.

but my jockey is going to have to wait for more seat time
163233386.jpg

yeah it did hahaha

So the repair list (replacement?)
new valve springs (because)/retainers
bigger valves
maybe new cams, we'll see. I'd like to re-do all the valve train stuff and eliminate the shim-over bucket+lash caps I've got now since I've had the occasional issue with them (and they're not exactly light weight)
"a new block" that I reckon I need to start researching on.. either sleeving, or concreting.

gotta fix a couple cracks on the exhaust manifold (seems to happen periodically). Probably going to engineer some new motor mounts. It'll be a minute, since shop construction should be starting soon (although I'm not putting it on hold because of that, that will be financial drain for a bit)

I'm amazed that you are allowed to do this without a roll cage, racing seat belts and the NOS bottle strapped on the back seat...

Any idea what kind of HP/Torque figures you might have put out before it died?

Belated congrats!!

Awesome job!
but after all that ...maybe the engine knew, and decided it was time to die :(
How about rebuilding with a new old block exactly the same?

Because disassembling and reassembling a 16V head:-P is a pain in the butt? I should know cause I'm just presently doing so for the fourth time! Going with a Cometic MLS hoping it'll hold longer than the Elring.

But the head was fine ... wasn't it?

You have to remove the head to get to the block... Removing the head, splitting the valve carrier to the other half, cleaning and resealing is a pita... For me it is. Maybe Kenny has developed his own tricks to get the job done more easily?

Mine split down low in #4. If you look at the block inside a freeze plug you can see the wall gets a fair amount thinner down there.

Of course, I did it at half the HP's Kenny did. I'm special school like that...

Mine split in number two , unfortunately, I didn't catch it in time and it tore a lot of other things up.I am glad you caught yours. Mine is also- maybe half, to a third, of the power Kenny did, and mostly used junk from salvage yard. I think I may go b23 this time( or sleeve-or concrete) , if I can. I Need to find someone to make h beams for it though.. Kenny, that is some impressive stuff, and you got your fun/$$ value out of it for sure, I had no idea you were going 140 mph when it got slung out of the car the first time (DAMMMMMM) , man you are one lucky SOB!!! Someone is watching out for you.I can't wait to see what you do next ( you really need a cage- brother) Great job!!!!

Back