• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel in crankcase. Changed regulator no change.

Tylor K

Hello! i have recently bought a 1989 244 that had 7quarts of gas in the oil. so i changed the fuel pressure regulator and swapped in a good set of injectors. Now same problem, i changed the oil and filter then tried to start. tried a few times and then flooded, then pulled the plugs cleared the ounces of gas out of the cylinders and tried with no fuel pump relay. car ran great on break clean but than as soon as relay is plugged in it floods. the previous owner chopped out pin 20 and grounded it to make the fuel pump turn on. so i fixed that and the pump wont run unless i jump the relay. and than same problem floods instantly. maybe dose it need a new L.H computer? any help is greatly appreciated

Chances are you've got a wire shorted to ground for the injector signal from LH, or a failed or incorrect LH computer. Hard telling what else has been hacked from the sounds of it. You might try unhooking the LH computer, then see if the injectors still show a ground If so, harness is failed somewhere. If no ground, LH is commanding them on when it shouldn't.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, with key on, unplug one injector and measure the voltage across the 2 pins of the connector harness. It should be 0volts (closed). All 4 injectors are wired in parallel so you should see the same measurement on each. Also unplug and measure across the cold start injector. There have been reports of flooding when the wrong connector is plugged onto the cold start injector (coolant temp maybe?).

Do the fuel pumps sound normal when jumpered on? If there's an obstruction in the FPR return line to the tank, it may be running at max pressure and dumping way too much fuel into the cylinders. I'd expect the under car pump to be pretty loud and labored in this case.

I think you can rent a noid light set from O'Reillys or Autozone to see if the injectors get pulse signal or just on all the time.

Noid_light_testing.gif

looks like there is 11v at the injectors when the ignition is on run. no fuel pump relay installed to limit gas in engine. would changing the fuel computer fix this? also the wiring harness other than the one pin 20 looks really nice (not saying it is under the shielding)

Is that 11v across the injector pins? If so, that's wrong, as that means the computer is grounding them. If that's between the supply voltage pin and ground, that's fine.
If that's across the pins, try unplugging the LH computer, see if that voltage goes away.

between the pins is 11v then unplug the computer it goes away and then they are not grounded anymore. i checked through continuity from block to injector pin and its there with the computer plugged in and then gone when unplugged. i am going to try and drive to a pick n pull today and see if there is any computers

looks like there is 11v at the injectors when the ignition is on run. no fuel pump relay installed to limit gas in engine. would changing the fuel computer fix this? also the wiring harness other than the one pin 20 looks really nice (not saying it is under the shielding)

Something's weird here. The fuel pump relay is actually 2 separate relays within the same cube. One relay is the main power relay, which supplies power to the injectors, MAF, IAC. The other relay is the fuel pump relay. The main relay should turn on with key-on. The fuel pump relay may turn on briefly to prime the system, but should then stay off until cranking/running is detected.

If you have power at the injectors with the relay removed, them something's shorted or PO Kustomized.

What is the part number and label color on your ECU? I forget the number, but some of the 5xx pink-label series are prone to fuel pump circuit failure.

Edit: one more question, what color are your injectors (and what part # if handy)? If someone has swapped to lo-z Turbo green-top injectors without adding the fender-mounted resistor pack, it can blow the injector driver transistor within the ECU.

Last edited:
Definitely does sound like the computer is hosed if it's locking the injectors on, thankfully meaning the harness is hopefully ok.

Definitely worth checking the injectors as mentioned as well as the relay wiring, something is amiss there for sure.

Back