home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
esmth
Board Member

Default IPD Stainless NA 240 header pipe

Has anyone gotten one of these:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1654...171285-1346768

I am curious about the tube diameter at the end. I have a 2.25 universal aftermarket cat i'd like to use and plan to replace the flange on the pipe with a v band.

Also I am curious about the quality/welds. Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
volvowagoon
Board Member

I was kinda curious about getting one simply for the cockroach survivability. My original one started leaking right at the merge. IPD isn't shy about telling you that this is Chinese, so I'll bet that the welds are not back purged. I've seen some very expensive Chinese stainless headers with terrible sugaring and blockages. I'm not betting that any of the mild steel ones are made better, but for the added cost of this particular part I'd be disappointed to find flaws like that. Hopefully somebody will share some actual experience with this particular part.

1986 Buick Grand National - Restoring to stock™
2002 Camaro V6 T5 +T - The trashy car that's fun to drive
2010 C30 T5 - The boring but trusty daily - 192k
1989 245 DL - The boring but not trusty daily - 226k
IG: @v6buick
volvowagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
shoestring
Board Member

I wouldn't spend the money on a V band for that. Cut the flange off, get a Torca clamp that's the right size and rip it.
I AM THE MODAL AMERICAN. Planet money #936.
shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

V bands make you go faster.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #5
esmth
Board Member

Well, I bought it. If I remember, I'll update this thread with pix. I hope the 2-1 merge isn't bad like most of the aftermarket pipes look to be.
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
I wouldn't spend the money on a V band for that. Cut the flange off, get a Torca clamp that's the right size and rip it.
V- bands are cheap. Why wouldn't he do it? It will make removal easy.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
shoestring
Board Member

Not as cheap as a reuseable $7 clamp that needs no welding and causes no pipe damage.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

Stock pipe size for the n/a cars is 2". I use one of the lap joint sleeve clamps on the join between the front muffer and the pipe out of the cat. Works great and they are cheap at summit racing.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 430k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #9
volvowagoon
Board Member

I've actually had terrible issues removing the V-bands in my Camaro. If you don't line your pipes up perfectly when you're fabbing the exhaust, any sort of bind you put that joint will make removal a bear. I have to pry my clamps off with screw drivers sometimes. Plus, you don't have to cut or reweld anything when road debris gets knocked up and damages a torca clamp.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #10
volvowagoon
Board Member

Regardless, I look forward to pictures of the part and and how well it fits!
Old 01-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Not as cheap as a reuseable $7 clamp that needs no welding and causes no pipe damage.
Pipe damage from what? Small price to pay to make to header pipe easy to remove.
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #12
esmth
Board Member

I have had stainless V band clamps and flanges on my current exhaust for 2-3 years now and they come apart and re seal effortlessly every time. I personally think the slightly higher price is worth it.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
Pipe damage from what? Small price to pay to make to header pipe easy to remove.
From a clamp that would crush the outer pipe to form a seal. We (and so do many manufacturers) use a sleeve-type exhaust clamp that butts 2 pipes of the same diameter together. They are durable, long lasting, and very easy to use. I only recommended it because the OP expressed some concerns about the quality of the pipe he's buying. I am not implying that V bands are inferior, and if that's your preference, that's what you should do.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #14
go240go
Board Member

I've had one for about a year. Decent quality, good fit, nice that it's stainless, no leaks at the welds, appears to be holding up well. Diameter at the flange is 2", designed for the stock cat size. Prob would make most sense by adapting 2.25" starting at the 2-1 collector.
go240go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #15
cmsuter
Board Member

I bought one and have yet to install it. Really looking forward to it.
cmsuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #16
esmth
Board Member

I got it the other day. Here are measurements:
The big pipe is not a perfect circle it seems, sort of oval that changes diameter during the bends near the exit. it ranges from 2.325" OD at the collector to 2.2" at the straight and 2.175" at the bend. The ID of the pipe at the exit is 2.1". The pipe is 0.050"-ish thick.
The small pipes are 1.675" OD and 1.575" ID.
Length from entrance flange to merge is 24" and from merge to exit flange is 22".
Exit flange itself is 2.25" ID and distance from hole to hole is 2.75". It is 0.375" thick. The fastener holes are 0.425" diameter.

Considering typical IPD markup it is pretty okay quality but it does have some considerable flaws. The major being not much of it is square to itself. The entrance flange isn't square to the dual pipes, the big pipe is not square to the dual pipes/merge (is this normal for 240 header pipe?) The bellhousing mounting bracket plate thing is not square to the pipes, the nuts on said plate aren't directly under the holes etc etc etc but I am being nit-picky.

(click to embiggen)

Old 02-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #17
volvowagoon
Board Member

I dunno man. That looks atrocious even for China standards. Is that dual pipe flange tacked with a MIG welder? So much for stainless! All that junk inside is not something I'd want to be running through my catalytic converter either. I have some drier vent clearing brushes that I use for exactly that. I'm glad I didn't waste the money on these pipes though. I've had really good luck with cheap Walker brand pipes anyway.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #18
esmth
Board Member

it is par for the course compared with the other IPD exhaust stuff
if it bolts up i'll be satisfied
Old 02-12-2021, 12:12 AM   #19
wolf_walker
Board Member

I guess for the money this isn't bad, what would a nice one done right cost, $500? $700?
I'm sure IPD or a few others could make it happen but nobody would buy it.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #20
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_walker View Post
I guess for the money this isn't bad, what would a nice one done right cost, $500? $700?
I'm sure IPD or a few others could make it happen but nobody would buy it.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure the added cost here is just for the longetivity factor. NOBODY would buy a header pipe that was non-china stainless, with absolutely perfect TIG welds because it would be ridiculously expensive. ESPECIALLY considering it's for a non-turbo car. That'd be flushing money down the toilet.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #21
esmth
Board Member

Some additional things I have noticed staring at it for another evening:
* the smaller plug has no stop/backing so if can screw all the way through the threaded boss. There is no way to secure it the way it is. (what is this even for? back-pressure gauge?)
* where the merge is, there is like an inch of extra pipe not trimmed internally that I cannot get a good picture of. I'm not a flow guy but it doesn't look like it helps.

Before I decided on getting a cat I bought this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-95000flt
I plan to have it welded in the collector anyway and just have it plugged for now. While i'm in there i'll try to clean up the extra untrimmed pipe with a burr. It might not help/do anything but it'll keep me occupied at least.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #22
shoestring
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmth View Post
Some additional things I have noticed staring at it for another evening:
* the smaller plug has no stop/backing so if can screw all the way through the threaded boss. There is no way to secure it the way it is. (what is this even for? back-pressure gauge?)
My factory downpipe has this port but it's got a flanged screw to plug it. I'd imagine there's a gasket there too. I imagine it is a cat failure test port leftover from bygone days.