home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
skurela
Board Member

Default 1988 240 Ignition Switch Wire Question

Hi all,

While cleaning up the wiring on a 1988 Volvo 240, I made my way to the ignition switch to take out the previously installed splices since one of the previous owners had an aftermarket security system installed. However, when I pulled the pin case apart, I did not bother to keep track of where the pins went. I opened up my OTP digital Greenbooks, and managed to find the proper home for each wire except for one. I have yet to find where my black & yellow wire goes. It is my understanding that this is the headlight terminal, yet I have no clue why I cannot find which pin in the ignition switch it goes to in the Green book.

This car's headlights were wired incorrectly from when we purchased it, with the headlights having the ability to turn on even though the car is off & keys out of the iginition, even though this is a model where Volvo did not do that. With this pin out of the ignition switch case, the headlights (obviously) do not turn on anymore, and I am just wondering either:
which pin position to put this pin into in order for me to have headlights while the key is in the ignition, like every other 88+ Volvo, or if this black and yellow wire has been routed from somewhere completely else (doubt it due to the fact that the wire does not look like it had the terminal added on aftermarket). I see in the wiring diagram that the only black & yellow wire for the headlights only goes to fuse 1, and the yellow wire goes to fuse 2.

Any help is appreciated, even if it's to call me an idiot for missing something obvious. Thank you!

Here is a picture of my stray wire:

Last edited by skurela; 04-12-2021 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: inserted smaller image
skurela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
hiperfauto
The Librarian

There should be 2 terminals marked 'X' on the ignition switch. One should have a yellow wire that feeds power to fuse 1, 2 & 3. The yellow/black wire which is for the air bag goes on the other one.

Not sure what the problem is with the headlights although relay terminal contacts are a known issue.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=4092847
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
skurela
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
There should be 2 terminals marked 'X' on the ignition switch. One should have a yellow wire that feeds power to fuse 1, 2 & 3. The yellow/black wire which is for the air bag goes on the other one.

Not sure what the problem is with the headlights although relay terminal contacts are a known issue.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=4092847
This car does not have airbags from the factory, and when checking the continuity of this lone wire to the black/yellow wire on the headlight switch, it shows continuity. I know it is not a relay or a relay connector issue, as I have swapped relays just to have peace of mind that it wasn't the issue, as well as the step relay under the hood. I may just split the loom open & trace this wire back to where it comes from.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
hiperfauto
The Librarian

I found another diagram that shows the yellow/black wire going from the 'X' terminal on the ignition switch to the headlight relay.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
skurela
Board Member

Quote:
I found another diagram that shows the yellow/black wire going from the 'X' terminal on the ignition switch to the headlight relay.
Thank you, do you have a link / reference (if it is in a greenbook)? Will try that tomorrow once I am back with the car. I appreciate your help, thank you!
Old 04-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #6
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Unfortunately it's not a greenbook wiring diagram.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160207...240%201988.pdf

The yellow/black wire goes from the ignition to the headlight switch as you stated. I misspoke when I said it goes to the headlight relay.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
skurela
Board Member

Quote:
Unfortunately it's not a greenbook wiring diagram.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160207...240%201988.pdf

The yellow/black wire goes from the ignition to the headlight switch as you stated. I misspoke when I said it goes to the headlight relay.
Will dig into these diagrams to see if I find something, thank you! Worst case scenario I will just pin it into a different location so it turns off when ignition is cut.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #8
skurela
Board Member

Split the loom open to trace the black & yellow wire. Traced it back a little & then gave it the ol' tug, sure enough, this is the black & yellow wire that goes to the headlight switch. According to the Greenbook, this is supposed to be on Fuse 1. I'll double check to make sure this wire isn't spliced somewhere, however I am going to run a test lead to connect this directly to Fuse 1, and see if that fixes the issue.

Image included (and next-lined to it in red for ease of viewing)
Old 04-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
skurela
Board Member

Not to double post, but after linking the end of the wire to Fuse 1, headlights functioned like normal. (yay), so I disconnected my test wire, stripped the ignition end off the wire, and put it back where it belongs. I am keeping the ignition pin however, just in case down the road I find that I did something cataclysmically wrong (even though that won't happen because the wiring is now true to the green book). Next up is to tackle another mysterious splice that has left a connector unplugged.

The red/blue & green/white wire. Initially skimming just the GB without tracing the wires so I have a vague idea, the only r/b & g/w wire set I have found connect to the "Switch, hazard warning lights" so I shall investigate there. Almost done cleaning up all these damn splices, I believe I just have this one, and then a weird double fuse box spliced off the Ignition red to clean up.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #10
skurela
Board Member

Ah, it is actually part of the cruise control set up. Wish it was something else... Who needs cruise control anyways.