• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

headliner materials and adhesives

linuxman51

Railspeeder Enthusiast #1
300+ Club
Have searched (n00b), and have concluded these few things, for the 940 wagon (with sunroof...dangit), and have a few last minute questions:

1/8th fabric/foam (no thicker than that at least),
permatex adhesive bad. is the 3m headliner adhesive still the stuff to go with?
Has anyone used the headliner/foam combo material (As seen on amazon(tm))? is it good/bad/cheap/to be avoided?

need to get this out of the shop and back in the car sooner rather than later, so getting ducks in a row. (headliner is already out)

Can vouch for permatex adhesive not being up to the task, it was what one place had and I didn't want to drive across town for the 3m at the time.
Redoing some trim covering today with 3m Super 77. I haven't been able to tell a difference between super 77 or 90 in any application for what it's worth, the slower dry time of S-77 might be more advantageous if you need to reposition anything.

Get the 3M general trim adhesive for carpets etc. It sprays as well as their headliner adhesive, yet, is much better at hold materials in place.

that's enough of a consensus on the 3m spray for me. and no comments on the all-in-one headliner stuff, so I'll proceed with what I've got (I'd already ordered a roll of thin foam, but if there were no issues skipping one step I was happy to set it aside) and raid the fabric store one of these afternoons.

I redid the headliner in the VW Jetta dieselvagen. Degraded original headliner - the cloth was good, the foam was rotten. Took the whole thing out, spent a while scraping at it to get the backing board clean. Then used the 3M 'headliner and fabric' adhesive spray cans. IRC I had two cans, and used both of them. Better a bit too much than not quite enough.

And I bought some headliner material, thin foam and cloth. It's still holding after at least 5 or 6 years.

It's pretty finicky to get it spread and tucked and steetched into position without it getting stuck in the wrong spot. While it's fresh you do get a chance or two to reposition, but pretty much, if it touches, it's stuck. So maybe do a dry 'practice run' the first time, then do it for real? And probably use two people so you can manage both sides.

Start on one end, with the rest of the headliner folder over and back. Spray an area with the glue, work the headliner forward onto the glue a bit, then do the next section, But by bit. The fabric is a bit stretchy so squeeze it into those nooks and corners (after making sure to spray glue in them extra well). Work on forward, let it sit for a while, then come back with a razor blade and cut out all the holes it needs.

JoAnn Fabrics headliner material + 3M adhesive is what I used on the 745T 12 years ago and it's still holding up.

BUT, this car hasn't had a lot of time parked out in the hot sun since.
Still looks good though.

Back