• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

J-type Speedo drive?

mike66

Hello, I?m about to swap a J type overdrive/ iron case M46 into my 89 745T to replace a bad P Type. My questions are, can I just weld the end of the speedometer drive shut, and does the speedo gear need to be in there or can I just toss it. Thanks in advance.

Hello, I?m about to swap a J type overdrive/ iron case M46 into my 89 745T to replace a bad P Type. My questions are, can I just weld the end of the speedometer drive shut, and does the speedo gear need to be in there or can I just toss it. Thanks in advance.

Remove the speedo drive housing and tap in a freeze plug.

Volvo part for plugging the speedometer hole when a speedo cable isn't needed for a J O/D.

Costs about $20.00 and comes with a new o-ring.

J_OD_SpeedoPlug1220200.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! But wouldn?t it serve the same purpose as the speedo drive plug being blocked off and of course a new o-ring? Do you sell these plugs? Or is it a dealer item?

We do sell them, but we don't stock them. Available from Volvo, part number 1220200.

You actually don't need to plug the original speedometer hole if you have and reseal the original speedometer housing and install a speedometer drive gear. The speedometer cable doesn't do anything when it comes to sealing this area.

Back