home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Default R32rennsport's 142 Project Thread

Well I went and added another moose to my stable. This one will be much less pretty and a lot more gritty than the Amazon. A budget beater build if you will. I digress though, let's start with the story.

This '73 D Jet 142 has sat in a large gravel lot on the industrial south side of town since 2001. I still remember seeing it first being parked there riding my bike in my high school days before I had a license. I always thought it was an interesting old car with it's striking orange paint even before I had an interest in old cars. I would inquire about the car randomly throughout the next two decades only to be turned away.

Fast forward to last week. As it turns out a client of the shop happens to be manager of the building on the lot that the car sat on. I inquired about the car and he responded that it belonged to the owner of the property who's family had long time ties to a few properties in the area locally. I asked him to forward my information on and that I was interested in purchasing the vehicle. The next day I received a phone call. In the world that is ever growing smaller as I age, it turns out the gentleman who owns the car is well acquainted with my boss from college days AND his sister owns the property that we use as our parking/storage lot for our shop. I was a shoe in after that. We agreed on a price and made arrangements to meet. We made the exchange (which may lead to additional future acquisitions) and I had the 142 towed to our shop.

Upon closer inspection at the shop there was plenty to take note of. Firstly, the interior had been a mouse hotel at some point in it's two decades of rest. Quite sad because the interior had been quite nice at an earlier date and is really very complete. The driver's door panel was found in the trunk which was also remarkably intact. The sheet metal is amazingly straight on every side, all trim is there. The most noticeable body rot is at the base of the windshield and on the leading edge of the hood and trunk. The engine bay was extremely well preserved and I have no doubt that I'll have the engine up and running with little fuse. Worst case scenario I have a set of SU's to throw on while I go through the D Jet.

The plan as of now is to make this into a budget B Sedan Racer/Rally Tarmac budget build for the street (not for competition). Bumpers off, interior out, exterior lights, period aero, and of course lower it and change out the rolling stock. Basically just for fun build and see where it goes, everything opposite of the Amazon but that's why I like it.

1973 Budget Build 142
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #2
doucheNozzle

Sup

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
‘12 Mazda5 - Work Car
‘06 E350 Ambulance - Work Car
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Hell yeah

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:46 AM   #4
Scaramanga
Board Member

Yeah! Cool car! Keep us updated
Old 08-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Looks like a fun project. That car is a cool find that you already have history with.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

appruv
1984 Rabbit L VR6
2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.5S 69 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast740fromSC
I am living proof that fetal alcohol syndrome is not that bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by propav8r
The incest is implied.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

A few progress updates on the 142. Mainly just tinkering on cosmetic things to keep myself motivated but the engine does turn over and makes compression, pulses at injectors present and fuel pump does work but injectors are shot. Decided to go for a 70s GT look with blacking out the tail and scored a nearly new set of tails and front corner markers. The big hurdle on this car right now is making the braking system operational again. I did get a load of suspension components in which I'll tackle next week. Stay tuned!

BTW... Another Swede has entered the scene. Came as a package deal with the 142, 1959 SAAB 93, in storage for 40 years, zero rust California car!

Old 08-18-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
DD Ranch
Board Member

Subscribed. Looking good already and looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Ranch View Post
Subscribed. Looking good already and looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Thanks! Should be a fun budget build!
Old 08-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
Chuck W
Board Member

Awesome! Looks like fun.
'83 Tbird Turbo (2.3T/T5/MegaSquirt) - '85 Marquis LTS (Canadian LTD LX)
My feedback thread
Chuck W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #11
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Nice
Old 08-21-2022, 12:25 AM   #12
Coupid
Board Member

Congrats! So excited to see what you do with this
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #13
PNW760
Board Member

Interesting set of cars in that lot. Curious to see what might come of them
Old 09-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #14
PNW760
Board Member

This 142 looks like it’ll be a fun one too
PNW760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:03 PM   #15
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Major updates! Injector wiring harness rebuilt and new injectors installed. All fuel lines replaces, fresh filter and tested fuel pump and relays. After some fiddling with the relays and ECU I determined that the prime function in the ECU (timer capacitor???) wire #19 to terminal 85 on the relay was not working correctly. Once terminal 85 on the FP relay was grounded to the body the pump sprang to life with key on power and all was well for a few key cycles. After some more diagnostics I found the points had fried for too much diagnostics, my bad for forgetting this car still had points. After the points and condenser were swapped out all was well. Car idles OKish but it's also missing half the exhaust right now, still needs a valve adjustment and I haven't ohm'd out all the other D jet components yet. It's something though, a big something for a car that's sat for 20 years to idle on it's own. Clutch works to, moved it forward and reverse in the shop.

Next up is suspension/steering and brakes. Complete overhaul. Got the front end pretty much dialed in but I'm waiting for a few parts to wrap it up. Rear suspension is OK for now, just going to do the panhard bushings and shocks/springs for now. Brakes is the big one. All softlines, rotors and pads, as well front and rear calipers are getting swapped out. I know I'll probably have to address the proportioning valves as well but that will be for another day.

Other then that I've been chipping away at exterior and interior items as well. Interior is completely stripped sans dash and headliner. Headliner will stay but I'll be swapping out the dash with a nicer unit from a 74 145. All the seats got pretty hammered by the mice infestation but I did my best to make one good front seat out of two for the time being. The carpets have been shampooed a half dozen times and pressure washed, then have sat out in the baking California sun for nearly a week... I think they are useable but the mouse urine was pretty strong. Exterior wise I've been focusing on all things electrical in preparation for a DMV safety lamp inspection to get the car road registered and insured. That means the front of the car got a lot of attention this week but literally everything electrical works on this car except for the blower motor because of some chewed up wires.

Stayed tuned. Next update should be me driving this thing. From purchase to today, 42 days in!

Old 09-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #16
Jack
junkman

Show the rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:39 PM   #17
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Show the rust
The only obvious rust is a small patch on the hood and about 6 patches varying in size along the base of the windshield, as well as the whole perimeter of the under side of the trunk where the seal is attached (the metal seal channel literally peeled off the trunk skin). I discovered the passenger front turn signal seal failed and it got pretty crispy underneath but still enough material left to treat and remount the light fixture. That's the bulk of it. A little bit at the pinch weld behind the rear bumper.

This car is an anomaly for sitting outside uncovered for 20 years. All the seals held up extremely well and so no water ever entered the car. The water runoff from the windshield all ended up draining through the cowl and since it sat on a granite lot with no trees over head the drains were never clogged and the water underneath evaporated off quickly.

...In other news. Went to AAA/DMV and got it registered and insured today since I finally received the title in the mail.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:57 PM   #18
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

A bunch has happened in the past couple of weeks. First of all the car is fully functioning and I've been driving it a bunch the past couple of weeks. Definitely not perfect but it's getting there. Engine runs decent, strong and doesn't smoke but the TPS is definitely problematic and after inspection the board and contacts are pretty destroyed. I have used test units on the way though. Brakes work amazingly well since the booster is currently still functional and Joe donated some freshly rebuilt calipers. I have most of the electrical sorted but I need to pull a few things from the dash to inspect wire integrity and grounds. I had some of the rusted out stock exhaust partially replaced and it sounds great. My tech Alex at the shop helped me immensely to get this ready for the SLO Rolling festival. Speaking of I picked up some wing window locks and an original owners manual at the festival. He polished out the paint the night before and man oh man did it jump back to life! Looking forward to making this car run hard and tighten it up. Planning on getting a bolt in half cage in the car this month and also have the seats reupholstered.

Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM   #19
Scaramanga
Board Member

Cool looking 74´!
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #20
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Thanks.

Crazy to think just two months ago it was this...

and now is....

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #21
matt b
Board Member

These cars look so much better without bumpers! Great color too, I'm glad you were able to save the paint.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #22
spock345
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
These cars look so much better without bumpers! Great color too, I'm glad you were able to save the paint.
To me the front ends look a bit bare without bumpers, but the fog lights fill that space nicely.
2012 VW Tiguan (screw plastic water pumps), daily
spock345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #23
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock345 View Post
To me the front ends look a bit bare without bumpers, but the fog lights fill that space nicely.
i feel like that about the rear but the 74 had the big 140 commandos

early skinny bumpers on 140 are so nice
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote