• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New 1989 744 Turbo Water Pump

I just lift the pump up with my hands, probably could get er done with my little pinky. I always put all the bolts in screw holes and nuts on threads before I lift anything. Course don't tighten them up all the way until you get the pump snug up tight as you think it needs to be obviously. Tricky with one hand pulling up, but not really.

Also remember you gotta take that top plastic timing belt cover off first if you didn't know that. Also good to grease the outside of that o ring that slips into the back of the pump metal transfer tube.

Last edited:
I use the same silicone on both o-rigs as on the paper gasket.
After the install if possible leave it alone for 8-12 hours so the silicone cures. Then fill it up with coolant and start.
That Preston coolant posted is all you need.

I use silicone RTV only on the paper gasket, and a really light smear at that. I use silicone grease or dielectric grease on the rubber seals. If you use RTV on the rubber seals, and I find out, I will troll you forever.

Also, get a Gates water pump. Aint had any issues with those over the years, and have replaced many Hepu units that were leaking.

The order for the Hepu is already in. :e-shrug:.

As for the gasket, I think I'll just clean up the mating surfaces nice and well, and use the plain gasket, as well as a silicone-based grease on the rubber seals. The seal that's leaking now is that top seal, but I decided to replace the whole pump because of it's age. I think the new seals will fare well with the lower pressure cap as well as with my not-so-intense driving.

The order for the Hepu is already in. :e-shrug:.

As for the gasket, I think I'll just clean up the mating surfaces nice and well, and use the plain gasket, as well as a silicone-based grease on the rubber seals. The seal that's leaking now is that top seal, but I decided to replace the whole pump because of it's age. I think the new seals will fare well with the lower pressure cap as well as with my not-so-intense driving.

Be careful with the paper gasket. Some of them are SUPER thin and are easy to tear when you install them (guilty!).

If seen more than a few top seals that were slid to the side and leaking. People, grease the top of the seal when you install them!

The trick to getting a good seal is pressing the water pump up while tightening; I have yet to find a great way to do this to maximize my success rate.

The trick to getting a good seal is pressing the water pump up while tightening; I have yet to find a great way to do this to maximize my success rate.

I use a 12-18" socket extension in the water pump inlet.
Get the bolt that the water pump pivots on snugged up, pull up the pump lightly.

If anyone has torque spec, tightening pattern, or anything like that, I think it would be a great excuse to try out my near-antique beam style torque wrench.

So, do you guys recommend I do a coolant flush? Honestly speaking, my 740 never overheats and has fantastic heating inside so I think my cooling system should be more than happy with a simple drain and refill.

That being said, if there's any reason to do a "garden hose flush," I'd like to hear it. I am going to replace the pump tomorrow.

Back