• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

throttle body size?

90volvo

My setup
-ported 530 head with bigger valves
-Rsi stage 3 cam
-header
-GTX3076r turbo
-1000cc inj.
-KLracing intake
-treadstone intercooler
-E85

The bolt pattern of the klracing intake is 77mmx77mm, is there a throttle body available to fit this bolt pattern or close like 75mm? The on klracing website they recommend an 80mm throttle body, which is huge but this intake is huge. Like to know if anybody think a 65 or 70mm would work fine or would it mess up the balance. Thanks for any help, appreciate it.

Large TBs are kind of a waste. There are plenty of boosted 800-1000 hp cars using 65-70mm throttle bodies.
The subaru sti DBW throttle body is pretty common in the aftermarket world, and it's 65mm iirc.

With boost the air density is much greater, so you can flow a larger mass of air through a smaller TB.

With the TB before a supercharger, and NA engines, atmospheric pressure is the only thing pushing air in.

Last edited:
Take a plate of aluminum and make an adapter with a hole saw and a some drill bits?

I mention this because this is exactly what I'm doing for a local person with a KL racing sheetmetal manifold.

Or buy 960 TB plate from YoshiFab and attach that?

Take a plate of aluminum and make an adapter with a hole saw and a some drill bits?

I mention this because this is exactly what I'm doing for a local person with a KL racing sheetmetal manifold.

Or buy 960 TB plate from YoshiFab and attach that?

What size did he go with? But yeh, I can build an adapter but that takes time and money for drill bits etc. The carbide hole saw probably cost the most. I figure 3x3inch pattern would be pretty popular. Anyways thanks for the info.

No need for a carbide hole saw, a simple Lenox steel one is fine for cutting aluminum.

The TB I'm adapting is something like this a generic 65mm billet one from ebay. I think it was ~$70 shipped.

If you have 3" ic piping you want to put a kl-racing's 70mm throttle body to it. It will fit straight away and it's exactly same size than your ic piping.

As was stated earlier, the giant TB's are of little benefit in a turbo application. I've got an analysis saved somewhere that validates the stock redblock TB will support almost 400hp.... pretty sure that is the 65mm size.

Add to that, there are driveability issues with throttle tip in....... ask Gsellstr as he tried to run one and found it unbearable in transition driving. The exception that might make the 960 size TB tolerable, is the style which has the plastic restrictor wedge on the actual blade; this certainly is the reason the OE Engineers installed this device..... and the TB Geniuses immediately remove it for MO POWR ......... :wtf:

Im running 65mm with ms2 and the lowend is good. Will say when I was running 3 inch IC piping it killed the off idle torque. I switched to 2.5 and the lowend came back. The IC had 2.5 inlet and outlet. Anyways, just thought Id share my experience. Thanks for advice.

Does anyone remember the old VW dual plate progressive throttle bodies from the CIS era? I remember people saying that was a clever design for having good response at low and high end. But it seems that is now committed to the annals of history.
DCP_5672s.jpg

Back