• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 240 Differential Fill and Drain Plug Thread Size

sjulier

I just purchased a 1991 240.

Does anyone know the thread size for the fill and drain plugs?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

There is no drain plug. You remove the lowest bolt on the diff cover and that lets the fluid drain. I think it's a m8 1.25 bolt about 15-20mm long. The fill plug is m14 1.25 if I recall correctly. I needed a new fill plug and it was the same as a metric oil drain plug for another car.

Remember to open the fill plug first before draining the diff - if it's seized you want to find that out before letting all the gear oil out.

There is no drain plug. You remove the lowest bolt on the diff cover and that lets the fluid drain. I think it's a m8 1.25 bolt about 15-20mm long. The fill plug is m14 1.25 if I recall correctly. I needed a new fill plug and it was the same as a metric oil drain plug for another car.

That?s true on my 1993 Classics. But not on this car. It has a drain on the underside of the diff.

I?d like to get at least one plug with a magnet.

Sam

If none of the plugs are damaged. I'd clean them and keep using them. Volvo uses good hardware.

I?m having the pinion seal and rear plate seal replaced on Monday at Mitchell Differential in Shrewsbury Mass. I?ll ask them for the sizes.

The fill plug is huge with a square male bit, if that?s what it?s called. Definitely NPT - does not seat flush. The treads are exposed.

The drain plug is on the underside of the unit. It appeared to be flanged and is flush to the unit. The drive appears to be 6 sided.

As I said earlier, I?m used to 1993 240s. I?ve never seen this set up.

Sam

That?s true on my 1993 Classics. But not on this car. It has a drain on the underside of the diff.

I?d like to get at least one plug with a magnet.

Sam

I took apart a rear end recently, I have not filled the diff up with fluid. I'll see if I can check the drain plug size. If I'm not mistaken, its a magnetic plug.

The OE plug should have a magnet.

The alloy diff cover installed ~1992+ has a screen filter and magnet which does seem to help with longevity & heat exchange a bit?

Is this an anti-lock brake optioned 1991 200 series or non-abs?

The OE plug should have a magnet.

The alloy diff cover installed ~1992+ has a screen filter and magnet which does seem to help with longevity & heat exchange a bit?

Is this an anti-lock brake optioned 1991 200 series or non-abs?

This 1991 is non-abs.

The fill plug has a 11/16? square head. I will get it off and and post measure measurements tomorrow - hopefully.

Sam

Back