home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
aeoian
Board Member

Default driveline vibration while coasting

last week i noticed a whine that i thought was from the axle, but only first 5 or 10 miles while the car is cold. checked trans fluid just for grins and noticed it was a little low, added a half quart. changed back to my 14" steelies with 195/75(!)14 tires. drive a couple hundred miles, whine goes away and i move "change diff fluid" to the back of the maintenance queue. yay. couple days where all is well, then drive 10 miles this morning and thought i heard a little vibration/grinding from the driveshaft. drive back home this evening and it was much worse, any time i let off the gas it there is a vehicle speed related thump. apply brakes or throttle and it seems to go away. present at all speeds.

possible culprits? old mounts? u-joints? center support & bearing? tailshaft bushing? rear torque arm bushing? dead squirrel attached to driveshaft?! i'll get underneath tomorrow. truth be told, i'm kinda hoping it is a dead squirrel.
car is 91 245, automatic. 148k miles.
aeoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Three Fat Tigers
Board Member

Location: ↓ Lynchburg, VA →| '89 740Ti | '90 760Ti | '92 240 | '94 940T | '96 960 | '96 M1

Prolly need to start with checking the center support, make sure the spring is in place and overall it's not falling apart or sagging too much. Otherwise I'd see if there is any play at the diff input flange, then pull the drive shaft and check the u-joints for play or roughness. Otherwise if it's related to the axle bearings, you might be able to hear noise rotating the wheels (off the gournd) by hand; though usually they make more noise while going around corners when they start to go.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
89TurboBertone
Board Member

that sounds like a center drive shaft support to me, i had the same problem about a year ago and checked it out and most of the rubber had completely dryrotted and fallen apart. After I replaced it the vibration went away. Its also a good idea to replace the bearing with it.
89TurboBertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
aeoian
Board Member

it was lugnuts on left rear wheel. four of them had backed off, leaving one fully engaged. just checked them all out, only that wheel. took the wheel off and cleaned the threads then remounted it. went for a drive; no vibration. guess i'm going out to look for a cheap torque wrench, as my "good and snug" with the spare tire wrench didn't cut it.

one part of me wants to work on the car. the other part wants me nowhere near the vehicle for my own safety. thanks for the help ya'll.
aeoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
photoman327
Board Member

You did not say how many miles on your car. two things to check are the the center bushing and the rear control arm bushing. Bad rear control arm bushing will cause the pinion angle to change causing issues. also has you car been lowered? Most 240 with over 100k have bad rear bushing and it took me a half day to change them after making the tool. Should be able to do it much quicker not but the first time was a bitch. greg
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
holtzboy
Project Procrastinator

I did an M47 swap on my 86 244 and got the driveshaft balanced with new u joints, new center support bearing pressed on, new rubber support/spring/washer, new Febi guibo, new guibo bolts/nuts, RSI poly m47 mount and new SAM motor mounts. I am also getting a vibration while coasting and I can hear clunking in the back while moving from stops. Sounds like I should get some new bushings. Anything else it could be??
4. '17 CRV - Daughter taking to Mississippi
My feedback thread
holtzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
professor245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzboy View Post
I did an M47 swap on my 86 244 and got the driveshaft balanced with new u joints, new center support bearing pressed on, new rubber support/spring/washer, new Febi guibo, new guibo bolts/nuts, RSI poly m47 mount and new SAM motor mounts. I am also getting a vibration while coasting and I can hear clunking in the back while moving from stops. Sounds like I should get some new bushings. Anything else it could be??
My vibration problem was caused by M47 with bad barrings, it caught resonance between 2500-3000rpm and really made a lot of noise and vibration from the driveshaft.

My seller/buyer feedback
professor245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
holtzboy
Project Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milos Protic View Post
My vibration problem was caused by M47 with bad barrings, it caught resonance between 2500-3000rpm and really made a lot of noise and vibration from the driveshaft.
Oh great. The tranny was pulled from the yard and I did nothing to it except add 2 quarts of Redline fluid and change shifter bushings.
holtzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
professor245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzboy View Post
Oh great. The tranny was pulled from the yard and I did nothing to it except add 2 quarts of Redline fluid and change shifter bushings.
Hmmmm...as you realize that wasn't the best idea, my trans first started whining for while and then later the vibration started... I too thought that was something wrong with the diff or bushings, so my volvo mechanic inspected everything, u-joints. bushings, the diff... but no, it was the tranny all the time.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
professor245
Board Member

When I was going to the junkyard I brought my mechanic with me to inspect the trans cause I made the same mistake as you did and thrown away 200 euros before on a bad trans.