• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

GM Series I/II/III 3800 Power & Swaps

I wish I had snagged that swap from 3800volvo when he was selling it a couple years ago. What a steal at only $700. I'd love to have a turbo 3.8 in my car.

but really... does anybody know what happened to that swap? I remember vividly that it was a L36 out of a Camaro with a massive turbo hanging off of it. The custom crossmember was really nice too. Did it go to a tbricks member?

Yes, yes I do... It is sitting in my garage even though I don't have a 240 because none of you would pull the trigger and if I hadn't it would have been scrapped.

Seemed like a no brainer to me as a cheap low miles backup for my Camaro, a swap project on the 740, or sell it later...

Yes, yes I do... It is sitting in my garage even though I don't have a 240 because none of you would pull the trigger and if I hadn't it would have been scrapped.

Seemed like a no brainer to me as a cheap low miles backup for my Camaro, a swap project on the 740, or sell it later...

PMing!

Ive heared that the gn guys take the super charged 3800 bottom end and strap all the gn stuff on.

There are very few people doing that. The only reason why you would want the "GN stuff" on there is to make it look semi original. They put similarly shaped tubing, original accessories, and a turbo cover, but the rest is 3800. Although the GNs LC2 is a great engine, the 3800 is far superior stock for stock. If you want over 600hp out of a V6 in the US I would recommend the old LC2 because the of the support from places like FAST efi and TA performance.

The 3800 has 6 bolt mains and far better flowing heads among other stuff, but the market is lower here because the boosted ones only came FWD. Australia is a different story. They build the crap out of 3800s since you could get the L67 in the RWD Holdens.

Serious question:

Has anyone ever made a 3800 sound good? They are the weirdest sounding sixes around.

When you really build the crap out of one it will sound someone releasing the windup cord on a can of angry bees... but in a cool certainly not Honda sort of way. :-P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-sgIT67Gc

I think their typically horrible sound just makes opponents more confident before getting destroyed in the 1/4.

The GN engine IS a 3.8 (LD5/LC2) which is just an older version of the 3800s. The Syclone/Typhoon has a 4.3 which is completely unrelated to the 3.8s.

Goes well for a 3800 sloppy build... Mid 10's

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2qAVyNWbTlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nearing completion of mine...

WP_20150905_17_16_27_Pro.jpg

Uggg....did plugs recently on a Aztek, and also on a minivan, with the GM 3.8 V6. You gotta disconnect the torque mounts and pull the engine forward 4 inches to get at the rear plugs. Not hard at all, but just adds to my loathing of FWD stuff.

roof-pizza.jpg

if you want supercharged, look at the late 80's/early 90's buick park avenue. they had a supercharged option. if you want all out brute HP, look for the 86/87 Buick grand national/turbo regal 3.8. bone stock were 235 HP and about 300 lb/ft torque. a chip and opening up the exhaust and intake got these beasts over 300 HP. the factory block can live reliably at 400 HP

Back