• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 242 2,5 16v widebody build

Andreas

Volvo 242 2,9 16v widebody 700+hp build

Warning, get ready for a ****load of pics and lots of bad english :p :p

hi guys and girls, my name is Andreas and im from norway! Always been a volvo guy and been trough my sheere of old bangers :p Well, im not one of those how only like volvo! i also love the good old Audis with the boxy 90s styling :) i happend to also own a 89 Audi V8Quattro, 4,2 6 speed manuel, with i have done some small mods to, engine wise.. miled down the pistons to 9:1 comp and made a couple of manifolds and bolted on a couple of garreth tb0368 from volvo 740 turbo! with Nira I3+ engine management it put down 385 hp and 630 Nm (nm at 3300 rpm!!) at just under 0,5 Bar of boost. plan to take it up to 1 - 1,2 bar when im finishd with my volvo project! enough audi talk?? :p

so, after a year or so with only sneaking around on the forums i thought id make a little build thread here :p What im talking about is my old brick ;) it started its life here in norway in 79. Then it was sold to a new owner in 81 with kept it until 2005! thats when i bought it!

Not so good looking, but i got it cheap, and there was close to 0 rust on the underside. Thats the important part! engine and driveline i dont realy care about :p

Bilde001.jpg

Did some small adjustments, looks 10x better if you ask me!
Bilde018.jpg

I also built a engine with some light mods like
-ported 531, 40/46 valves
-Kg 2t Camshaft
-KS pistons
-FK rods
-Tec3 ecu
-Ebay / china manifold
-Rosenkranz Race turbo
-Bmw 262 gearbox
++

never dyno`d it, but i think somewhere around 300-350 hp should be a good estimate.
The car rearly went straight so i was happy :p

I have spent the last 4 or so years on more custom work. since i dont have the patience to wright the whole story and add like 100`s of pics, ill give you the short story!

What i have done/ doing to the body:
- -Cut and welded the front fenders so they are built out about 3 cm
-Rolled the lip flatt to get as much wheel clearence as i can

- -Rear panel (behinde the rear wheel) as been lowerd 5 cm
-Rear wheel Arc has been cut out and replaced with Golf mk1 arches, raised 5 cm
-Rear fenders has been cut below the window and filed in to widen the car, about 4 cm
-Streched the rearpanel a little extra at the wheel arces
-And the Golf arches is a little wider the the volvo ones, bringing the total widening up
to 8cm (3" to you US guys :p) on each side!

- -Custom hood :p

- -Custom "one pice" bumpers

- -Volvo 7 series rear axle adapted to fitt the 200 series rear subspension
-Gaz adjustable rear coilovers
-Myranes Adjustable tourqe rods
-Myranes 40- 110mm lowering Coilovers in the front++++
-Myranes top plates

What i have done and/or will do to the Interior:
- Sam Rollcage + some custom
- Sparco Pro 2000 seats
- Stack gauges
- Custom Dash (carbon)

Wheels:
rear
18x12 inch Rota GTRD 335/30 Pirelli Pzero Corsa
front
9,5x18 Rota P45r 265/35

All wheels is of the same designe. but not of the same colors, i have bought lots of powder paint in the bright red color!
bakfelg3.jpg

:p
260.jpg

engine:
2,5 liter crack
16v ported head
custom intake with 4x 43mm Itb
Custom manifold
Bullseye S362 Batmowheel turbo
Sleeved cranckcase
drysump
custom rods and piston to get a good rod to stroke ratio
Cams: 275 degree dur, 11,4mm lift, solid lifters
Nira Ecu
4" downpipe, 2x2,5" exhoust

Goal: 700- 750 hp and around 900nm for now, but with a bigger turbo, 1000 hp shouldnt be a problem :)

Last edited:
Volvo 242 2,5 16v widebody build PIC HEAVY!

Ill add a bunch of pics :p

350.jpg

351.jpg

352re.jpg

353.jpg

354.jpg

355.jpg

360.jpg

361.jpg

362.jpg

384.jpg

410.jpg

412.jpg

413.jpg

470.jpg

471.jpg

472.jpg

490.jpg

Last edited:
custom pistons from Wiseco
231.jpg

Custom Pauter X beam, 158mm
236.jpg

232.jpg

233.jpg

Wiseco / K1 crack, 86mm = 2,5 l and its 300g lighter then the stock crank!
234.jpg

235.jpg

240.jpg

241.jpg

Drysump
245-1.jpg

246-1.jpg

250.jpg

251.jpg

254.jpg

252.jpg

253.jpg

260.jpg

262.jpg

261.jpg

265.jpg

266.jpg

270.jpg

271.jpg

272.jpg

273.jpg

280.jpg

281.jpg

282.jpg

LA sleeves, made custom sleeves for my engine :p
290.jpg

291.jpg

LA sleeves, made custom sleeves for my engine :p

haha, i should ducktape the service book from this car in the windshileld :p its been checkd by naf twice a year from 79 to 2003-4 ish :p

My car has a similar history, 84' model, bought by previous owner when it was two years old. He kept it for 16 and then I bought it. Checked every year at the same shop in Skien and he kept all receipts for any parts bought.

Every oil change, oil filter and air filter receipt. Bursted the stock Volvo vinyl document holder... ;-)

/:Edit
And you have the snow cap! Digg! First one on the forum? (After me of course ;-) )

I'm not really a huge fan of wide body car, they always look awkward and way out there, but this thing looks really nice, very tastfully done. The body lines still look like they are in line with the original lines of the 240 body styling, except improved.

Nice job.

Your doing the 81+ European front end?

I'm not really a huge fan of wide body car, they always look awkward and way out there, but this thing looks really nice, very tastfully done. The body lines still look like they are in line with the original lines of the 240 body styling, except improved.

Nice job.

Your doing the 81+ European front end?

actually, i agree with you! i dont like widebody kits and widebody stuff thats just glued on the side of the car! it looks stupid.. i tried to keep the volvo lines, just wider :p

if you look at the car from the side, and with your head at window hight, you`l probably not even see anything diffrent then the Golf wheel arches :p

81+ front yes, it fits the style of the car best! (my opinion at least)

Thanks for your kind words guys :-P

Last edited:
Very impressive build. You really mean business...by sleaving a Volvo block and all. :) I can't wait to see more.

Back