• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Power steering noise

smeha

Tranny Whisperer
Hello TBers,
Quick question for thought.
I develop squeaking constant sound near power steering ONLY at low rpm (bellow 900rpm).
Could be something else or power steering going bad?
The noise is not loud, constant and sometimes stops even at low rpm, mainly when it's very hot outside.
Belts(1 years old) are very tight on pulley/AC and AC/PS.

Last edited:
Hello TBers,
Quick question for thought.
I develop squeaking constant sound near power steering ONLY at low rpm (bellow 900rpm).
Could be something else or power steering going bad?
Belts(1 years old) are very tight on pulley/AC and AC/PS.

Could be many things - can't say because I can't hear it

Squeak? Probably a belt

Loosen or remove the PS belt and see what happens with the noise

And there's no need to run them TOO tight - about 1/4 deflection is plenty (more than enough)

Could be many things - can't say because I can't hear it

Squeak? Probably a belt

Loosen or remove the PS belt and see what happens with the noise

And there's no need to run them TOO tight - about 1/4 deflection is plenty (more than enough)

Its not TOO tight, just retighten again to proper strength, still the same sound and at low rpm. Bad belt/pulley logically would squeak at high rpms too.

Its not TOO tight, just retighten again to proper strength, still the same sound and at low rpm. Bad belt/pulley logically would squeak at high rpms too.

I didn't say it was too tight - you just made the point that they were "very tight" - I was simply saying there's no need to over do it

As for your question, did you try what I suggested?

If you think V-belts (or any rotating part) are going to exhibit the same behaviors and noises all through the RPM range then you definitely haven't been working on cars for very long - with belts and belt noises logic doesn't always have anything to do with it

Never claimed my self being very skilled, only reply in other threads if know for sure. Honestly, tired of fixing one thing, and another one goes down. Got drunk - taking to another volvo mechanic in couple days. F*CK it

Last edited:
Back