• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's RWD Experience, '84 242 TI

Well, I spent most of today with a grinder, and I'm beat. But I got my collector done. Its just tacked onto the flange right now, I'll weld that up tomorrow. I cut the end of the pipes at a 15* angle to get them to clear each other, seemed to work out ok. Also, heres a couple pictures showing my intercooler as well. I had to cut the sheetmetal behind the headlight to get the thing to fit, but its perfectly sized.

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01229.jpg

Preliminary tacking of the tubes
DSC01218.jpg

They were then cut and welded to each other
DSC01220.jpg

DSC01219.jpg

After still more grinding
DSC01221.jpg

Welded together and tacked to the flange
DSC01222.jpg

Nice transitions on the inside, will port match after final flange welding
DSC01223.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

All in all not bad for my first collector ever, now on to the tubes...

so nice indeed buddy!

btw I talked to towery yesterday and I didn't get any negative comments about him bringing you the trans.

so nice indeed buddy!

btw I talked to towery yesterday and I didn't get any negative comments about him bringing you the trans.

DSC01259.jpg

DSC01263.jpg

DSC01265-1.jpg

A little wheel test fit. I think I may just be able to squeeze a 235 in the rear, but there is no way in the front with adaptors, its pretty damn flush right now, so I may have to go 225-215. Hopefully not the latter of the two. I am going to have to roll the hell out of the rear fender lips thats for sure...

DSC01268.jpg

Got the #4 runner all tacked up, it took me forever to get the flange to fit my engine. Whats left of the EGR was all in the way under the ports so I had to clearance them. I'm hoping to have it all tacked up tomorrow but we shall see.

Refresh my memory, what's the wheel width, offset, and spacer sizes? Looks like a lot of lip rolling in the rear. Front shouldn't be too bad, but rolling the front lip flat w/o rippling the outside edge of the fender lip is a bit more tricky.

17x8 et20 with 20mm adaptors. The rear sits in from the edge of the fender ~10mm, its not nearly as close as the front is

Last edited:
The front will be fine with the lips flattened. Extend the lower supports a little if you need some more room.

Rear will be tight with a 235. With the lips flat, it's going to be really close. Or pull the quarters a little, run a 245/40 as low as you want it to go.

Ive got a 225/45 and a 235/45 to play with so I'll see what I can do with those, I'm not sure what tire size I'm going to end up on though.

More header work, but I ran out of elbows, I'll order a few more this week so I can finish this next weekend.
Heres #3 added
DSC01269.jpg

Then #1
DSC01270.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

And I threw it on the car to check clearance. I should be able to get to all of the studs no problem, and the spark plugs should be accessible as well if I run the downpipe right.
DSC01274.jpg

DSC01273.jpg

I'm also going to move the radiator forward, I have n/a brackets that I have yet to put on. I need to get longer radiator hoses.

Got all 4 runners tacked up, I'm in the process of final welding everything now, hopefully I can get it all done tomorrow. I also recently purchased a new steering wheel. Its a deep dish drift wheel or something off of ebay, cost a whole $20.

DSC01303.jpg

But heres a couple pics to show header progress.
All tacked up and on the stand
DSC01301.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

Test fit in the bay to check clearance
DSC01304.jpg

It just does kiss the coolant hose, but that shouldnt be hard to fix

Clears the frame rail and the strut tower with room to spare
DSC01305.jpg

DSC01307.jpg

The downpipe is going to be a little tight, but there is enough room to fit it without rattles.

Didn't have to roll my style 5's too much with 225's.... but then again I have 225's on a style 5 without adapters.

They look good!
Almost wish I had center caps.

I think I asked this before... but I'm not finding it. Are you migging the whole thing or where you just taking it and having someone TIG the rest of it?

Thanks guys, I'm pleased with how its coming along. Should be smooth sailing to getting this ready for SE once I get this finished.

Joe I'm migging it unfortunately, but its turning out good so far. I have a good millermatic welder to use so I'm not concerned with it. The welds aren't as nice looking as a tig welders would be, but being steel I'm going to paint and wrap it anyway to try and keep some of the heat in so its not like your going to be able to see them lol.

I think it should be fine as long as it's braced as well. I user a miller 140 w/ jokeautoset.

I welded an uppipe for my buddy so we shall see, he will be mounting an hy35 onto it lol! If it works out well, I'll be migging my manifold as well.

Back